IGNORED

Scala Rider

MarkM

I thought I would post my comments about my recent acquisition of a ScalaRider headset.

I have been a solid supporter of the Autocom for many years. I have had one on my 1150RT, 1200RT and my 1200GT. When it was time to go to the K1300GT my dealer suggested I look into the ScalaRider.

The first happy thing about this device over the Autocom is the fact it is completely wireless in its connection to the bike. It uses Bluetooth technology to connect itself to your phone and GPS. It does have an audio in so that you can run your MP3 player in. My particular headset also had the FM radio option.

You can configure your cell phone to directly connect to the ScalaRider but if you have a Bluetooth capable GPS (like the Nuvo 660) then I recommend you do the Bluetooth pairing between your cell phone and the GPS and then let the GPS manage the audio going to your headset. This allows for some organization of the audio and gives you the advantages of having a screen when working with the cell phone.

I just picked up a SHOEI RF1100 helmet (love it) so with new helmet in hand I went to install the headset using the clamp and running the speakers to each ear. It was easy. Those who know me know that it needs to be easy if you want me to install it. :)

Next I configured the Nuvo 660 GPS to look for Bluetooth devices which it immediately found the ScalaRider. Bingo it was connected. I configured the iPhone and the Nuvo to know about one another and that worked just fine as well.

So installation done I start the tests. I fire up the GPS (the Nuvo has a nice internal battery so it can be on without the bike) and listen with my helmet on. I hear nothing.

Hmmm.. perhaps installation was not as simple as I thought? I took the helmet off. I goofed with the GPS for a while because I thought that there might be audio settings that were not complete. Nope. All checked out. The Nuvo thought it was talking to the ScalaRider.

Perplexed I wondered if I had snapped a wire from the clamp portion of the device to the speakers. It looked good.. but what was the problem?

After more examination I decided to push the device itself further down on the clamp. You see the actual Bluetooth module is removable so that you can charge it on the charger that is provided with the ScalaRider. Yes, you guess correctly you will need to carry that charger with you on long trips or otherwise the device doesn't work and no there is no AAA battery that you can use instead.

I heard a "click" when I pushed harder on the device. I put the helmet back on and viola! I had GPS.

Next was the radio test. I pushed the second button that changes channels between the different audio sources. You can have multiple audio sources -- telephone, GPS, another rider and FM. The radio came on.

This was my first slight disappointment in that the audio was "ok" probably as good as the AutoCom but still not where I'd like it to be. What really bothered me was the dual use of the volume buttons as the radio station selector. You have to hold the button for 3 seconds in order to change the station. This is awkward while riding and not perfect. Many times I just changed the volume instead of changing the station.

All in all I am satisfied with the product. I love not having cables sticking out everywhere. I love that I can take telephone calls while riding (though that may not always be nice). I like the GPS integration with the iPhone (not really a ScalaRider feature) but it is nice for sure.

What I was not able to test was the ability to talk to another rider. The claim is that you can talk to someone who is within range of the headset (I think it was 1400 meters) if they also have a ScalaRider. What is clear is that you can't have a party chat as you can only connect to one headset at a time.

What I thought about though to get around this for a group of riders who have ScalaRider is to use the free conference call site at www.freeconferencecall.com and pre-arrange for us to all call that number with our cells and join a conference. Since many of us have free weekends it seems like with little difficulty you could have a group chat by using your cell phones! Further this can get around limitations that other riders may have when they are using a competing technology--like Autocom!

I did both make and receive calls on the bike and I was more than pleased with the results. Someone can start another thread or revive an old one about the overall safety of using a cell while riding but I leave that to you.

Overall I recommend the product. It is a lot cheaper than the Autocom at $200 per headset and a lot more versatile.

What are your thoughts?

-mark=

One of my frequent riding partners uses this system. He contends the device is not stereo, mono only, and the music quality is lacking.

I'm interested in the device because of its simplicity; but, I require very good music quality.

What say you?

I have an early version of the system, pre-audio input and the FM was stereo I believe.

My wife and I used them, but it just didn't really meet our needs with one passenger and 2 riders.

I'll make you a great deal if you want it...

I have the latest version and it is stereo with my Ipod Nano. I wonder if your friend has an earlier version that might not be stereo, or they may not be connecting the cable properly resulting in non stereo performance. Or they have a defective one and should contact the company for repair/replacement.

I have had multiple Scala Rider Motorcycle gear and use a Cardo bluetooth phone head piece for off the bike and have always been very satisfied with the performance.

On the bike people never know that I am on the bike, and for the last month or two of riding while listening to music has been nice. Some concern about reduced hearing but.

Over time the Cardo company has improved the units. Making them with more features and increasing the durability of the units.

Not associated with them in any way, but have had multiple units and always satisfied.

On the first unit, no second one I lost the first unit because of my carelessness, when the boom mike wore out from use, the company replaced it and noted they had reinforced the boom since my purchase. Replaced free of charge out of warranty.

My wife and I use the Scala Teamset for riding 2 up. I have been underwhelmed with it. Sent it back to Scala under warranty because of periodic static. Replacement unit is no better. The sound quality (Mono) is poor and the helmet clamp broke --had to use the stick on adhesive. Positives are it is small and light and synched easily. It also has a 12 volt adapter for charging from the bike in a pinch.

I'm more interested in using my custom molded ear buds instead of the speakers with whatever set up I get. Anyone doing this?

---

I just got my Scala MultiSet couple weeks ago. Great unit IMO.

Purchased on ebay for $245 + shipping from Isreal. Great deal, but the chargers came with European style plugs. Quick trip to Radio Shack took care of that.

The wife and I were using a Scatterbox wired set-up but we could never hear each other when traveling above 50 mph so after a couple uses we shelved it.

We took a ride using the Scala unit right away and had no trouble hearing each other at any speed we cared to travel. I'm sold. Super easy to set up and yes, I get stereo out of my speakers using my nano.

I tried the FM, but it was such a pain (literally) in the fingers to try and change stations, that I gave it up. Discovered later that the reason I couldn't get the station I wanted was because of where I was standing... I was able to get it outside on the street, but it faded in and out as I rode along, so I gave up on the FM. I don't know what results others are getting, but it's not a problem for me. I prefer the ipod anyway.

One thing... As with the Scatterbox, it really matters where you position both the speakers and the mic. A little change of position makes a big difference in sound quality. I used a couple of extra pieces of velcro to get the speakers closer to our ears.

My cell is not bluetoooth and I don't have a GPS (yet), but when I can afford the one I want, I know I will be set up to use it.

I have not tried linking with a third headset, but it is supposed to link with 2 others and switch between them with a push of a button.

I give it a :thumbsup:

Forgot to mention:

We used the Multiset for a solid 6 hours and it showed know sign of running the batteries down. Next week I hope to find out just how long they go.

I have been using a Scala for two seasons after ditching Autocom. Works great. I have mine set up to use a single-sided Ears, Inc custom molded earpiece, which sounds pretty good.

So my set up is Zumo with WiRevo stereo dongle and XM, Cardo Scala BT headset, and a basic BT phone. Works great, all units have more-than-day-long battery life. I also have it set up to get the audio from my V1 radar detector, but I rarely use it. I ride solo and don't need to talk to my riding buddies, so I cannot comment on rider-to-passenger or bike-to-bike.

I'm more interested in using my custom molded ear buds instead of the speakers with whatever set up I get. Anyone doing this?

---

Hi Quinn,

I have a set of ear buds I use sometimes with my Autocom system. My helmet has the Autocom speakers installed but, mostly for music, the quality is better via the ear buds. Autocom makes a replacement cable for your helmet that incorporates the 3mm stereo jack used by your ear buds. The only real drawback (other than Autocom's typical "take your breath away prices") is the speakers remain operational even when the earbuds are plugged in. The result is an overall reduction in volume level. While not a big deal, it would have been nice (and presumably not technically challenging) to incorporate a cutout jack or a switch, to allow the helmet speakers to be turned off. In all though it works pretty good. I find the ear buds begin to give me a headache after hours inside the helmet so I don't use them that often.

Archived