IGNORED

New Garmin

rickmoen

Garmin has announced a Zumo 665. Comes with XM, via a GXM 40 (doesn't say built in), $999.99, available 1st qtr of 2010.

http://garmin.blogs.com/pr/2010/01/garmin-zūmo-665-brings-xm-satellite-information-along-for-the-ride.html?activeBranchId=newsroom

Enjoy!

Rick

Edit: The link works for me, but try this:

, click on Company at the top of the screen and go to Newsroom, in the drop-down menu, 2nd item in the list.

LeftCoastMan

Zumo 665

Seems like a sweet product. I'm sure it can be purchased at a discount from some retailers, which would put it in the range of a 550 plus GXM30.

I wonder if it would be worth upgrading to this one from my 550.

Comes with XM,

It's really Sirius/XM now, with the latest receivers being able to take advantage of the new service offerings created by the merger. Hopefully the 665 has the newer receiver chipset otherwise you'd be buying last year's receiver design, and that would be pretty lame in any new hardware much less a $999 product.

LeftCoastMan
Comes with XM,

It's really Sirius/XM now, with the latest receivers being able to take advantage of the new service offerings created by the merger. Hopefully the 665 has the newer receiver chipset otherwise you'd be buying last year's receiver design, and that would be pretty lame in any new hardware much less a $999 product.

I don't think this one picks up the Sirius satellites (I think that's still being worked on, with just a few receivers doing that). You can get all of the Sirius channels for a fee (like Howard Stern or the NFL).

Link to new 665

Looks like there are a few things better than my 550. Not sure it's worth the change.

From the linked page: "The zūmo 665 comes standard with our GXM™ 40 XM antenna."

So it looks like the antenna is included in the $999 price, instead of being an optional extra like on the 550.

That being said, I believe I've seen a number of reviews here that preferred the 550 to the 660, on which the 665 is based.

I wish they would put an auxillary input in that ZUMO for my V1.

Wouldn't that be great???

It can't be that hard????

Garmin must have stock in the intercom business......... :rofl:

CoarsegoldKid

Frankly after seeing what a friend has been going through with his 660 I'm going to wait longer. I would have had the tendency to throw it out the window. The Garmin isn't reconogized by the computer unless you plug in the Garmin and reboot the PC, at least with XP. Mapsource tells him the maps has been transfered but it's not there. Mapsource is giving me fits by not routing where I tell it. But the large screen is nice. The speed limit announcement is helpful. Bluetooth is appreciated. The addition of XM is going to be tidy. The mini-USB port inside the battery door is defies user interface logic. The mp3 volume being lower than the announcement volume is annoying and maybe due to a low recording or conversion db level. And a radar detector input would be cool. Other than that it's a winner.

Frankly after seeing what a friend has been going through with his 660 I'm going to wait longer. I would have had the tendency to throw it out the window. The Garmin isn't reconogized by the computer unless you plug in the Garmin and reboot the PC, at least with XP. Mapsource tells him the maps has been transfered but it's not there. Mapsource is giving me fits by not routing where I tell it. But the large screen is nice. The speed limit announcement is helpful. Bluetooth is appreciated. The addition of XM is going to be tidy. The mini-USB port inside the battery door is defies user interface logic. The mp3 volume being lower than the announcement volume is annoying and maybe due to a low recording or conversion db level. And a radar detector input would be cool. Other than that it's a winner.

Well, all that, plus the $1000 price tag.

LeftCoastMan

Garmin put out a huge firmware and software update in early December. From what I read, it has fixed a long laundry list of problems. That would indicate that the 665 would benefit from the year or so that the 660 was out there being tested by everyone. :D

LeftCoastMan

Well, all that, plus the $1000 price tag.

I'm guessing that you will be able to get it at a street price of 850-900. The Zumo 550 goes for around 640 on Amazon, plus another 2-250 for the GXM30 antenna. At that point, the 550 and 650 are going to be about the same price new. That's going to make it a difficult choice.

But I have the 550, so I have no compelling reason to switch.

Good point orangemarlin. I, too, have the 550 with a GXM30. I guess it comes down to how badly I would want the larger screen and a few other features. My 550 is already paid for.

LeftCoastMan

I like the bigger screen, because I like to not have to focus long on the screen. But, like you my 550 is paid for. I've got it humming with POI's and routes. It's perfectly set up on my bike. I'm not sure if changing makes sense.

I think the Zumo is going backwards. Seems for every feature they add, they seem to remove of limit one. I also wish they would make one that doesn't have all the bells-and-whistles, like they did with the Zumo 450. I love the 450 because I don't want/need the bluetooth, XM radio, traffic, etc. I just want it for routing.

Wayne

I for one love my 660. It mates up perfectly with my I-Mac and the size is great...big screen with thin body. I pop it off when I stop and put it in my pocket. Works great in the car too.

As to a basic type of GPS, the Zumo Forum

has a few tidbits on a future Zumo 200 (or so) that would be an "entry-level" unit. The Zumo Forum is a great place to learn about the Zumo series GPS. Like this place, discussions are civil.

Archived