IGNORED

Tires tires tires

LeftCoastMan

LeftCoastMan

I have searched through this forum top and bottom, and I can't find anything that tells me how to determine when a tire is nearing the end of its life. I have Metzler Z6's on the front and back of my '06 R1200RT. There is about 9000 miles on them, and they look like they have a ton of tread, but I don't know how to judge that. From everything I've read, I'm at the upper end of the tire life, but I'm not sure.

If anyone can give me some hints, I'd appreciate it.

#1 rule when it comes to tires is that you cant judge the life of one on mileage alone. There is too many factors that can affect actual mileage on a tire, including but not limited to: tire pressure, weight, road conditions, weather, riding style, type of riding (twisties vs highway) to name a few. Through the may tire posts on this forum typical tire mileage ranges from 5k miles to 25k miles.

Most of the time "tire life" comes down to rider preference. Personally,I ride mine down as far as possible, to the cord if need before changing them out, or if during the rainy season as soon as they start having traction issues. For the amount of miles I put on my bike I squeeze every penny from them. When the tire get close to replacement I usually notice a difference in performance, mainly an "edge" while making turns. The bike will no longer smoothly lean in and out of turns making for an uncomfortable ride. Visually inspect your tires, they all have wear indicators, this would be a good sign they are ready for replacement. If I were only riding the bike occasionally, once I hit the wear bars I would slap on a new set. If I ride the bike everyday and expect to put on high miles (like I do) I would run them as long as possibly could safely.

Its always amazing to ride the bike with a new set of tires on it, you forget how it should really ride.

Look on the upper sidewall of the tire. There should be a very small "TWI" indicated there. Then look on the tread adjacent to the TWI and you should fine a "wear bar". It is a slightly raised section about 1/2" long in the tread. When you wear down to the wear bar, it is time to change.

Nice n Easy Rider
Look on the upper sidewall of the tire. There should be a very small "TWI" indicated there. Then look on the tread adjacent to the TWI and you should fine a "wear bar". It is a slightly raised section about 1/2" long in the tread. When you wear down to the wear bar, it is time to change.

The wear bars on the Metzler Z6's are difficult to see. They are more of a graduated bump than a bar. My dealer showed them to me and suggested "feeling" them rather than trying to see them. So once you locate the TWI marks as John suggested go to the middle of the tire and run your finger to the outside. You should be able to feel the raised area (unless of course you've already run through them). Unfortunately the Metzler rear tires seem to wear out in the middle quicker than the sides so the wear bars may not give you any warning there.

LeftCoastMan

Thanks for the help.

I was wondering about the high variance in mileage for tires. Is there a perfect tire out there that is good in the wet, grips well, lasts about 20,000 miles? I think I've read every thread about tires, and the opinions seem to be about as varied as threads on oil.

Thanks for the help.

Is there a perfect tire out there that is good in the wet, grips well, lasts about 20,000 miles?

Yes. They are called car tires. (end of smart azz response)

Consider yourself lucky. The best I can get on the RT is 6500 miles on a rear tire.

LeftCoastMan
Thanks for the help.

Is there a perfect tire out there that is good in the wet, grips well, lasts about 20,000 miles?

Yes. They are called car tires. (end of smart azz response)

Consider yourself lucky. The best I can get on the RT is 6500 miles on a rear tire.

LOL. I thought I'd ask, and I forgot to put the "sarcasm" tags on my post.

LeftCoastMan

I'm not finding this. Or it's worn away.

I can't believe my tire is worn, since the tread patterns are still quite deep.

On many motorcycle rear tires you can have lots of tread left but be paper thin in the middle especially if you do a lot of freeway style commuting. Go to your local moto tire store and look at a brand new version of your tire. Finding the wear bars/bumps should be quite easy that way.

As to an "ideal" tire, well there isn't one, IMHO. Everything is a trade off. I have written several reviews on tires both on this site and on others and all I can speak to is tire wear relative to each other as it is clear that every riding style/road/rider comes up with potentially radically different tire life.

The tire I got the most wear on ever was a Metzler Marathon 880 in 240mm. It was a fat tire on a relatively light cruiser and I got a solid 12k before the wear bar. On my Boxer, however, the most I have gotten out of a tire was ~8k miles and that was the Pilot Road 2 which had excellent profile wear characteristics (i.e. it didnt develop a harsh flat spot) pretty much all the way to the wear bars but developed traction issues half way into their life. The BT-016's I got 5k out of but they had lost a fair amount of profile by 4k. They grip like MAD though.

But I have a spastic right hand and ride at warm temps (80-100) for half the year on a lot of relatively abrasive SoCal freeways and byways. I suspect all this drops my total tire life.

Myself, I think the closest thing I have ridden to your mythical "perfect" sport touring tire is the Pilot Road 2. While there are compriomises in traction as compared to unabashed sport tires, the PR2 performs well in the wet, maintains profile without developing a flat spot, has ample grip (at least through half it's life) and lasts longer than any tire I have used on the Boxer.

YMMV.

JT

LeftCoastMan

I found the wear bars finally. Someone had posted a photo of them on a thread about 2 years ago, so I used that. It appears that I have 2-3 mm of tread before the centermost wear becomes flush with the tread. It seems I have about another 2-3000 miles for these tires, at least.

I do a lot of freeway riding, and of course in a lot of heat. But I'm still getting good tire life. Maybe I'm just a conservative rider.

I'm looking at the PR2 for my next choice, but I'm still undecided, but I think I have a lot of time before I have to choose.

I found the wear bars finally. Someone had posted a photo of them on a thread about 2 years ago, so I used that. It appears that I have 2-3 mm of tread before the centermost wear becomes flush with the tread. It seems I have about another 2-3000 miles for these tires, at least.

Don't count on it.

I've had at least 2 mm on the inner TWI and had belts showing in the center of the Z6 more than once. The rear tires were shot at 6K. I liked them, but I don't use them any more because of that.

LeftCoastMan

Don't count on it.

I've had at least 2 mm on the inner TWI and had belts showing in the center of the Z6 more than once. The rear tires were shot at 6K. I liked them, but I don't use them any more because of that.

Grrrrrrrrr. Every time I read another comment, all I can hear is the cash register go off for another $500 for tires and installation. :dopeslap:

So what you're saying is don't trust the TWI? Then what good are they?

Nice n Easy Rider

Don't count on it.

Grrrrrrrrr. Every time I read another comment, all I can hear is the cash register go off for another $500 for tires and installation. :dopeslap:

So what you're saying is don't trust the TWI? Then what good are they?

What good are they? For a Metzler Z6 rear tire, probably not much at all. But if you have 9K on your current tires ride them for another 1K and replace them. At that point you probably don't have more than another 1K left so at your price of $500 you're leaving $50 on the table. Not an unreasonable amount to feel secure. You can always save the old tires in case you get a flat that you can't plug. In that situation you could remount the old tire to get you to a shop for a replacement.

BTW, I pay about $350 for a set installed but I understand things are much more expensive out your way. You might see if there are any tech daze where you could mount your own tires to save a little.

I wont install another Z6 rear tire because of the rapid wear at the end of their life. Seems like one week they show 2-3 mm of life and the next thing you know you're looking at cords. The PR2s and Roadsmarts are much more predictable when it comes to wear. I do love the way the Z6 feels though.

Z6 did wear fast, 020's and 021's got marginally better. The Diablo Sratdas have worn well so far. Seems like when you find a tire you like they change them for a new style, like the Angels. Hope they wear as well as their percursor.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm not going to trust my tires for another 1000 or so, given that the 9000 miles I've gotten seems like the way upper end of tire life. I don't want to see cords all of a sudden.

Now I've got to figure out replacements. Since I have had a different experience with the Z6's than some of you (although if I did a statistical graph of everyone's tire life with the Z6, it would be all over the place), I might stick with the same tire. I'm a pretty conservative riders, so I'm wondering if I will get a lot of miles out of most any upper end tire. Or it's just a random thing.

I liked the Z6s until I tried the other options. The PR2s are great tires also as are in my experiance the Roadsmarts, but go with what you are comfortable with.

I realize that asking a question about tires is about the same as asking what's the best motor oil (or even better, when to change it). Or asking "Yankees or Red Sox"? :D

I was researching prices online and the new Pirelli Angel ST's, which seem to be getting great reviews, are priced about $50-100 less than the Z6's for a pair (front and back). I know that cheaper is not the always the best choice, but if the Pirellis are both cheaper and better, what am I missing?

It's possible I'm just obsessing. But who doesn't when riding a BMW.

Archived