IGNORED

Good Alternative to a Roady 2??

twilmotte

I'm on my second Roady 2 XM radio (the power-in connector broke on the first one after 3 years of use). I'm having the same frustrations with the second one ... the power-in connection is flimsy and power to the radio cuts in and out. I know this is the problem because I can reach out and touch the plug-in connector while on the move and the radio powers up again. Also, sometimes I have to touch the antenna connector when I lose the satellite signal and get the dreaded "no antenna" display on the radio. It seems like some manufacturer might make a sturdier radio for motorcycle applications. I like the inexpensive cost and easy mounting options of the Roady 2, but the power and antenna connections seem real "cheapie" to me. Has anyone else had these same problems? And can anyone recommend a good alternative XM radio? Thanks. :)

Yep. Same story here. Was told by XM customer service lady to get a SkyFi2. I did, no more problems. Didn't have to change a thing, other than the receiver. All wiring is identical. Check ebay.

I have the same problems with the SkiFi2 in my 4-runner. I have to occadionally "touch" the connector to get it to come on. For a moto application, get the Garmin GPS with the XM. It much more robust and is water proof. I know it's expensive but good stuff is like that. Since I switched to the Zumo with XM from my Roady on my bikes, all has been wonderful. Always works with big "soft buttons" that my gloved fingers can get to. The MMI is far superior.

Archived