IGNORED

Vented vs non-vented helmet on RT

Bmr Deacon

I'm getting ready to replace my Arai RX-7 Corsair. It doesn't seem to me that the venting on the 2 Arai's that I've had have helped in the summer heat (in Sacramento, CA it is regularly in the 90's and gets into the low 100's). I'm 5'4" and have a low-seat so I'm pretty much completely out of the windstream.

I'm thinking that I might go with a non-vented helmet this time to keep the noise to a minimum.

What is the conventional wisdom as far as helmet venting is concerned?

Am I looking at cooking my brain if I go ventless?

Do the various helmet brands differ much in weight and is the weight difference enough to make a noticable difference?

I am in Sacramento as well. I have never noticed alot of venting from a helmet on any of my RT's, but I wouldnt say no venting. I do notice less fog on my facequard when I have the lower vent. My new HJC helmet does alot better than my shoei did for venting though, but the vents are alot bigger. I think in sacramento, no vents would be asking for trouble in the summer.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Bmr Deacon

Also in Sac, I find I get really hot if I have the windscreen up too high and vents in the lid closed in the summer. But, I usually run warm in the summer and cold in the winter. I adjust the height frequently to account for windflow and noise. And second what smiller said about opening them at this time of year, especially with 38 degree fog. Wakes you right up.

So, I guess the answer is "depends...."

I just replaced my Nolan with a Shoei Multitec(Flip face) I noticed a huge increase in air coming in the vents with my new Shoei. It's much quieter too. (Too quiet, I was going 100mph and it was pretty serene).

If you think you're not getting air through your vents on a warm summer day, try comparing the flow by opening the vents on a cold ride. I always feel the cold air rushing in on my nogg'in

Well, I have an Arai Profile 2 that vents nicely behind my CeeBailey Sumdome windscreen. The vents do whistle a little depending on how I have the windshield adjusted.

5'2" on the low seat.

Your RX-7 is one of the best venting helmets made.

If you can wait 'till summer before you replace the helmet, try taping over the vents and going for a ride.

That'll give you a direct comparison on the effectiveness of the Corsair vents.

BTW, If the Corsair is noisy, then there IS airflow by the helmet.

Even if one is completely out of the airstream, all one has to do is stand up to get the full blast through the vents. With a ventless (or poorly vented) helmet, one loses even this capability.

Thanks to all of you for your input. The vents are noisy. When I put my hand over them while riding the silence is really nice. That being said I have gone for a ride in the cold weather and there certainly is cold air coming in. In the heat the difference between the air temperature and body temperature isn't as great, hence less noticable.

Any recommendation to go ventless was non-existent which surprises me to be honest. I thought at least one person would come forward and say that in their experience the vents made no difference.

The next helmet will be vented. Now I just need to figure out which one to go with.

Ride safe..........

Lots-o-luck finding a nonvented helmet. Haven't seen one since the Shoei RF200. My skull freezes easily and wasn't happy with the later shoei helmets. My Skorpion 1000 seems to close well and I don't get the fore head burn I was experiencing.

If you like really quiet and have the right shape head, the Shoei RF 1100 (or the predecessor 1000) fills the bill. Vented, very quiet, less $ than Arai.

Shoeis have easily interchangeable shields, traditional strap with a retainer snap for the tail and removable/replaceable liner parts. Pinlocks are available should you need them. I use the gradient shield as an all round day/night and they have about any sun shade density you'd want. Check their website.

Archived