IGNORED

Summer jacket recomendations?

cali_beemer

So now that I have committed to the 2 jacket setup (1 for winter and mild days and 1 for hot days), can anyone make a recomendation for a nice summertime, mesh, hot weather jacket that doesnt skimp out on the protection? I am a pretty big guy so it needs to go to a big size.

CruisinCruzan

I use a Motoport Air Kevlar mesh jacket that I had modified from a standard design. The jackets are made to measure so if you take decent measurements the fit will be right on. I chose Motoport because i felt that the mesh was the most substantial of any mesh jacket that I had seen.

The fabric is essentially the same as the Air-Tex inserts on the BMW equipment. I also like the option of customizing certain aspects of the jacket. My jacket is attached the black areas are a very comfortable stretch Kevlar.

They are not cheap but somewhat less than most of the BMW gear (my non-hot suit is a Streetguard2) and a lot less than the Rukka Air jacket I bought my wife. My jacket is the Hi-viz jacket on the first post of the page. If you decide to order from Motoport order way in advance as delivery times are rough ETAs at best.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80138&page=68

Look at Olympia Mesh. I have the neon yellow and it survives the Florida summers! Very good protection. Good luck with your search.

+1 I really like mine. Two things, one, it doesn't make me look fat, I am that fat. And two, make sure you keep your shirt tucked in when you wear it, or you will look even more goofy.

The only other issue is they seem to attract bugs of all kind. Not while riding, while just standing still. Something about the color.

With the liner in on the RT, it's good to 50 degrees or so, I suspect it wouldn't go that cold on the RS without some more layering.

365284729_TLsN7-L.jpg

+2 for the Olympia Mesh. I've worn mine for almost 5 years and it still looks good. Great liner and the shell material is softer and more pliable than others. You may find the II on closeout at some of the online stores. They change the look every few years but it's still the same basic jacket

Olympia makes two mesh jackets. One is the AirGlide, which is a sport length. The other is the Bushwhacker, which is a 3/4 length. Both are excellent, flow good air, and being that they use real DuPont Cordura, they offer far better abrasion protection than most other brands. I used to sell a bunch of the through the dealership where I worked. People loved them.

Another good recommendation, although I have no personal experience with it, seems to be the Motoport/Cycleport Kevlar Air Mesh. I like the construction and the materials, and people who have them truly love them. Of course, you're talking about a custom-made product, wait time, and a hefty price tag. But all of that is a personal call. We're still months and months away from summer.

I've used a BMW AirFlow jacket the last five or six years for summer street riding and trail riding, rain or shine. Cool, comfy, and it's held up well. I think I have version 1, but I noticed BMW is now selling version 4.

The problem w/Olympia, if you're a big person, like me, the jacket doesn't fit my proportions.

Sleeves way too short.

Good jacket, just doesn't fit.

I've got a TourMaster Intake.

Mesh/cordura, 2 liners, waterproof one and thermal one.

Works for low temps, I can layer or use Gerbings under the water/wind layer and then remove as day warms up.

Got the jacket because at the time it was one of the only models that would fit my long arms.

There are others now, and of course, custom, like Motoport.

Plenty of airflow for hot weather w/benefit of waterproof liner.

(I ususally carry rain jacket in addition, just what I do)

Thank you to all that have given suggestions. I looked at the Olympia online. It looks nice. I have a question. How much overlap will this jacket give relative to the Kilimanjaro? I went with the Kilimanjaro over the transition 2 becasue it seemed like a better cold weather jacket. I did that with the intentions of buying a summer style mesh jacket in addition to. My current BMW jacket isnt cool enough in the summer nor warm enough in the winter. However I am noticing a liner and waterproof, etc....on some of these mesh jackets. In sacramento it can be 100, 110 degrees plus in the summer. I need something that is really good in high heat. Cold weather will be taken care of with the KIlimanjaro.

For really hot weather (over 85), I picked up a White Joe Rocket Phoenix on closeout for $75. It has larger mesh than the Olympia so It has great air flow and it has very good protection. It is rather stiff so it's not as comfortable and the liner is basically a water resistant windbreaker-no cold protection.

The Olympia remains my favorite-with the liner it's good for 55-85 degrees.Below 55, I substitute a Gerbings liner or wear my winter coat. Typical Florida winter days start in the mid 50's and go to 80 by lunch so the Olympia is my workhorse.

I now use an Alpine Stars T-Stunt Air, got on sale around $125. Fits me nicely and I'm a size 50-52 kind of guy (bigger in the shoulders than even my oversize waist).

I used a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket for years and NOTHING flows more air than that almost-100% mesh jacket. But I started to get paranoid about crash safety. The T-Stunt Air has excellent torso venting, less so on the lower arms but it is a straight trade for safety IMO. I've got buddies who won't use less than perforated leather but that's too hot for me in our summers.

I have the Olympia Airglide high-viz mesh jacket. I have worn it in temperatures as low as 40 degrees with the liner and as high as 95-100 degrees without the liner. It is comfortable in those ranges, here in North Carolina, where we have 90% + humidity in the summer.

I ride an R1200RT and the fairing is excellent for cold weather protection, but it makes things very uncomfortable in high heat and humidity.

I have ridden in temperatures of 100 degrees and I don't believe there is any jacket that will be comfortable on a RT at that temperature, especially when you are stopped.

For another comparative alternative, the Revit Air. Not claiming anything - just another choice.

Suggest when doing two jackets, pick your summer one with an eye to how hot it will work, not how cold. That's what the other jacket is for.

I love my Olympia mesh, I'm not small but I'm not that tall at a smidge over 6' 240 lbs. It comes with the best liner I have ever had in a jacket of this type. I have actually started to use the Olympia liner with my Tourmaster jacket. I ride a 120 mile round trip commute every day in the same region you're in. I use the Olympia more than half of the year going back to the tourmaster when the temps drop. (I also have a big Aeroflow windshield on my RS though.)

I love my Olympia Airglide in high-viz. It is great on those hot Sacramento afternoons. I use it all summer for my Davis to Roseville commute. They normally have a good selection of them at A&S, so you can go try them on. I agree that they are good down to about 50 with the liner. Below that I wear an Olympia AST.

Well, I ended up sending the Kilimanjaro back and its being replaced with the Tourmaster Transition 2. Probably the jacket I should have bought in the first place. The venting on it seems alot better than the Kilimanjaro so I will see if there is a need for a mesh jacket.

The problem w/Olympia, if you're a big person, like me, the jacket doesn't fit my proportions.

Sleeves way too short.

I've got a TourMaster Intake.

Mesh/cordura, 2 liners, waterproof one and thermal one.

Works for low temps, I can layer or use Gerbings under the water/wind layer and then remove as day warms up.

Got the jacket because at the time it was one of the only models that would fit my long arms.

Plenty of airflow for hot weather w/benefit of waterproof liner.

(I ususally carry rain jacket in addition, just what I do)

Ditto the Tourmaster Intake Air (Series 2).

I've a 34-35" sleeve length on a 6'5" frame @ 240#. The fit is good all over and the airflow is fine even in 95 F. Very, very happy with it.

Tourmaster has a Flex 2 jacket that is a hybrid of a 3 season jacket with panels that remove and turns into a mesh jacket. Any good or bad news on this one? Have a 6-8k tour this Summer and looking for diverse jacket. Any reviews appreciated. Thanks.

Tourmaster has a Flex 2 jacket that is a hybrid of a 3 season jacket with panels that remove and turns into a mesh jacket. Any good or bad news on this one? Have a 6-8k tour this Summer and looking for diverse jacket. Any reviews appreciated. Thanks.

I have one for my winter jacket--used for two years. It is very versatile, probably your best choice for a tour jacket. It's essentially a mesh jacket with a zip off outer shell, so it's big and bulky. With the liner in, you are wearing three jackets and it can be stiff.

I wear it on days when it's below 50 but otherwise I much prefer the Olympia mesh.

I use a Motoport Air Kevlar mesh jacket...

+1. Great protection. The Kevlar mesh is tougher than leather. It is a little stiff, though.

I just got my Firtsgear Kilimanjaro at $139. What a bargain. The jacket is heavier than I had anticipated and quite stiff. Quality seems great and the inner liner makes a great separate jacket. Can't wait 'til spring.

I just got my Firtsgear Kilimanjaro at $139. What a bargain. The jacket is heavier than I had anticipated and quite stiff. Quality seems great and the inner liner makes a great separate jacket. Can't wait 'til spring.

I ended up returning mine in exchange for the Transition 2. The kili was stiff and I didnt care for the fit as much. But that jacket for the price is awesome. I wish the transition 2 had a bit more insulation. It doesnt seem like it will be as warm. However a heated liner will take care of that I guess.

Just use a fleece liner in place of the Transition liner.

A light to midweight Windstopper or Windpro fleece is best.

That way you have a general use jacket with you,the Transition liner certainly won't fulfill that function.

The Aerostich Kanetsu windblock fleece electric jacket is near ideal as you have a midweight windblock fleece and also electrics

if you need them,all built into one jacket.

JR356

Archived