IGNORED

Communication Systems Recommendation

RogueRanger

I just finished reading the "Autocom going under" thread. Man am I glad I drug my feet on buying last fall.

But now it's back to square one. What are your recommendations for an in-helmet communications system? I would like to be able to listen to music/radio, but cut to the phone if a call comes in. I don't really need the ability to make calls, but answering is the key in the set-up I'm looking for. Right now, I see my primary options as Scala or Chatterbox. Are there better options out there?

J&M Audio

This was going to be my #1 plan for a communication system, until I read about Autocom. Like you, I dithered through the fall, and I'm glad I did. J&M gets a lot of good reviews for their systems on a lot of different forums. And as best as I can tell, they're still in business, unless they OEM parts from Autocom. :)

We've had our Autocom for years.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one now if I needed one.

It should last for a long time.

If the company emerges again, great.

If not the stuff will still work.

Intercom tested to 120 (on a closed course) and works fine.

Music to 140+

Define your needs, then look for a bargain, it might be out there.

I run a J&M 2003 system and like it alot. I prefered the integrated CB due to my highway commuting and didn't want a big clunky radio hanging off my handlebars like was required for other systems. It works great, I get good range with the CB and the truckers I've talked to can hear me loud and clear at highway speeds. The only issues I've had is that I have had two headset speakers start to get some static and then fail. Both were replace free of charge.......one while still under warranty, the 2nd was out of warranty but was replaced no questions asked.

I didn't find on their site if you can use earbuds.

Everything I saw was helmet speakers.

Can you use earbuds w/their setup?

Upon further review, it looks like you need a new Garmin to integrate GPS?

Those 2 issues would stop it for me, for now.

+1 on Starcom ... been using one for 3+ years ... audio, gps, phone through bluetooth, PTT for an FRS radio and helmet to helmet of course.

AUTOCOM, without question.

I have had Scala, my buddy had Blue Ant, and J&M... went to Autocom.

If you want the best....There are plenty of units and cables in the "system". U.S. dealers will support you. For any technical issues, you have this site.

The "deal" with setting up a system is selecting the correct parts. There is no re-manufacturing to be done, or factory-style alterations. Just get the right parts and plug and play.

This Forum and the dealers are still here to help you.

I didn't find on their site if you can use earbuds.

Everything I saw was helmet speakers.

Can you use earbuds w/their setup?

Upon further review, it looks like you need a new Garmin to integrate GPS?

Those 2 issues would stop it for me, for now.

They used to sell a little adapter that plugged inline between the two cords of the system that allowed any standard headphone plug to be used in place of the helmet speakers. I don't see it on their site, but I know I have seen it somewhere.

I don't know much about integrating the GPS. I'm still running my old 2610 and have never desired to hear what it has to say. I currently use the AUX input for my SAT radio. If I ever upgrade to a newer GPS that has SAT radio built in, then I will look into getting it all rigged up together. For the time being though, it meets my needs quite well.

I have a Baehr UltimaXL system in my 04 RT and it's worked flawlessly for the past 4 years. I bought it from Raffy. You won't see too many recommendations for the Baehr systems because of its cost and lack of tech support, but my experience with it has been excellent for music thru BMW radio, GPS, cell phone, and B2B radio (both CB and GMRS). I also have a J&M Integratr that I use on my Harley that works with music (FM readio & iPod), but not too well with the cell phone (maybe because of RF interference). The folks at J&M are very helpful and back up their products 100%. John Lazzerone (the owner) will even answer your emails himself. Whatever you decide to install, make sure you keep your wires/cables as far away from the engine ignition as possible and use noise filters between bike's power and comm system and between bike's power and any radios.

On using earbuds with a J&M comm system ... they can modify your system to accommodate ear buds. My friend had it done to his J&M system in their shop while passing thru Tucson last summer. Only took a few hours and he's pleased with it. :)

Good to know, but does that change them so speakers won't work?

I'd asssume they would do so on a mail in also.

What I like ref this and Autocom is I have the option of either w/out modifying anything.

If I ever go w/a cb J&M would be the most likely route.

Tim, I just talked to my buddy about his J&M installed earbud jack. He says plugging in his earbuds doesn't cut out the sound to the speakers. FWIW.

On my autocom system, I installed a micro connector on each helmet speaker cable so I can disconnect and remove the speakers when I want to run with ear buds. I just keep them in a baggie in tankbag. It allows more room for the ear buds so they don't press too hard on my ears. I like my speakers very close and in fact barely touching my ears so I can hear them better which causes problems if I try to leave them in when wearing ear buds.

Tim, I just talked to my buddy about his J&M installed earbud jack. He says plugging in his earbuds doesn't cut out the sound to the speakers. FWIW.

Thanks.

But does that mean sound comes from both sources at the same time?

I have the same predicament, was going to buy Autocom SP-RC when it came out, and now with them out of business - don't see it as an option. Beahr is way too expensive ($1,900!), J&M seems all about CB radio (they have the Inegratr, but it's not nearly the same as an Autocom system), which leaves Starcom1. I printed the brochure catalog and the owner’s manual, and am in the process of reading through to be sure it will do everything we want. But unless someone picks-up Autocom production quickly, seem Starcom1 is really the only fully-featured and sanely-priced option.

Aluminum_Butt

Starcom1 is really the only fully-featured and sanely-priced option

I own two Starcoms. They work great. I don't use Bluetooth with mine, but I've run GPS, Valentine 1, Sirius, GMRS, and my cell phone simultaneously. Picking up and making calls was easy, and I have participated on conference calls where no one knew I was on a bike, even at 60 mph.

Never could get it to work with CB (squeal on transmit). But that seems to be a common problem with Autocom too.

The are three points of difference I know of with Autocom. First, the Starcoms (at least the ones I have) don't mute music every time an input changes. For example, if the Valentine goes off, it's just mixed in with the music. Personally, I like that - it's the way things are in my car. It will cut music for GMRS and cell. Second, the Starcoms I have don't have sidetone. I don't know whether I miss that or not. Third, the headset connector is smaller and more fragile than Autocom. I've never had a problem, but I've read of people bending pins. My eight-year-old does it - I don't see the big issue.

Yes, sound from both earbuds and speakers at the same time. You can call (tollfree) the folks at J&M and talk to them about rigging up something for you. I'm pretty sure they can modify their components to do whatever you want them to do. No affiliation with J&M ... I'm just a satisfied customer. :)

The US Autocom distributors have product in stock. Closest to you is most likely Indianapolis BMW. They are a dealer for Autocom and have some units in stock.

I think the units in the pipeline will suffice until production is on-line.

I too have a Starcom Advance,excellent piece of kit.As just mentioned the pins on the headset connectors are a weak point(mini din)A friend of mine kindly soldered a standard din plug and connector to the leads after i had bent the pins for the third time :dopeslap:If you have the $`s go digital(very small unit)

Like Autocom they were never designed to work with CB which over here has nearly died out,I use mine with a 4watt Chinese made Puxing uhf, set to the PMR channels(almost the same as your FRS/Gmrs)Very clear up to three figure speeds :eek:

... Second, the Starcoms I have don't have sidetone. I don't know whether I miss that or not.

Not sure about the original Starcom, but on the Advanced there is a DIP switch under the end cap to enable sidetone - another allows the pillion to hear phone & B2B comms.

I would like to be able to listen to music/radio, but cut to the phone if a call comes in. I don't really need the ability to make calls, but answering is the key in the set-up I'm looking for.

I have the Scala Q2 Multiset. The FM Radio part stinks. The mp3 part works fine. If you like the idea of NOT being attached to the bike via wires, you will love the Scala. Yes, it's battery operated. No, I have never killed a battery in a days use.

Don't think you can receive/make calls on the Chatterbox.

Happy Hunting.

Archived