IGNORED

New Russell Day-Long seat too wide?

OldSchoolMike

OldSchoolMike

Just got a chance to take a quick ride on my new Russell Day-Long saddle. I usually ride my '09 RT with the seat in the high position and can still put both feet down when stopped. With the Russell I can just touch the tips of my toes with the seat in the LOW position! Is this the experience of other Russell owners? I could probably get used to this when riding solo but I'd never be confident enough to take my wife for a ride.

I'm planning on talking with Russell tomorrow but I wondered if others have had the same experience.

Thanks-

Mike

Yes, that is typical of a Russell seat. It really isn't any higher but it is wider in the front so it spreads your legs out more when you put them down resulting in much less "foot" on the ground. This also increases the area that supports your weight (pounds per square inch is less)and that is one of the reasons they are very comfortable on long rides.

Yup, Wider is always going to feel taller.

Just want to say, first in line here if you consider trading it for say, a Rick Mayer all leather heated seat in great condition. ;)

I'm sure they can & will make you happy though. :thumbsup:

Pat

OldSchoolMike
Yup, Wider is always going to feel taller.

Just want to say, first in line here if you consider trading it for say, a Rick Mayer all leather heated seat in great condition. ;)

I'm sure they can & will make you happy though. :thumbsup:

Pat

Thanks Pat. I'll keep you in mind ;-)

My experience with Rick Mayer is what convinced me to order a Russell. I've heard very good things about Russell's customer service. I guess I should ride it for a while before contacting them about any potential changes.

Thanks again-

Mike

OldSchoolMike
Yes, that is typical of a Russell seat. It really isn't any higher but it is wider in the front so it spreads your legs out more when you put them down resulting in much less "foot" on the ground. This also increases the area that supports your weight (pounds per square inch is less)and that is one of the reasons they are very comfortable on long rides.

Thanks John. I guess I'll take some time to see if I get used to it. I had a Corbin on my '01 LT that was extremely comfortable but I had the same problem with touching the ground. I had Corbin narrow the front and it changed the dynamics of the seat and made it unusable for me. Because of that experience I'm very hesitant to ask Russell to make any changes - that's the reason for my post. I knew I'd get some good responses.

Thanks again-

Mike

You'll soon learn to do the 'Russell slide', i.e. slide forward a bit to the narrow part of the seat as you come to a stop. Becomes automatic after a while.

Will the weight riding two up lower the bike enough to give you better footing? Both my old RT and current GT sit a little lower riding two up and it is easier to flat-foot when stopped.

Mike, I had two Russells and two Rick Mayer seats and just got my third Rick Mayer seat. I've had great dealings with Rick. He's usually a week or two late but if you expect that going in, it's not a problem. I consider them at the same comfort level based on a lot of experience with both but the Rick Mayer seat is much friendlier to my short legs so that's why I went with another RM.

You'll soon learn to do the 'Russell slide', i.e. slide forward a bit to the narrow part of the seat as you come to a stop. Becomes automatic after a while.

+1

Just got a chance to take a quick ride on my new Russell Day-Long saddle. I usually ride my '09 RT with the seat in the high position and can still put both feet down when stopped. With the Russell I can just touch the tips of my toes with the seat in the LOW position! Is this the experience of other Russell owners? I could probably get used to this when riding solo but I'd never be confident enough to take my wife for a ride.

Mike

Ya that's a Russell. Mine actually ended up being closer to the footpegs (the last thing I needed) but it was harder to reach the ground, and horrible at a stop. Drove over 1000 miles home and it just about killed me. Even though they agreed they couldn't make it work for me, it still cost me $300. The only way I would ever recommended one of there seats is if you stay there a couple of days and do lots of riding to see if it works for you. For me it was way worse than stock.

Pat,

Are you saying you have a Rick Mayer all leather heated seat? If so, what bike do you have? And did you send him a heated seat pan or did he build a regular pan into a heated seat?

I'm in the market for a new seat for my 04 RT. Was nearly sure I wanted a Russell until this thread. I too have short legs! So I'm considering a Mayer. How do you like yours?

Sorry for the hijack.

Hey Craig! :wave: BTW HB.

Ya, I sent him my stock heated seat from my 05 R12RT. He then just swapped the heat element after reshaping it. He took a week or so longer than promised to build it but, no real issues dealing with him.

Great seat, just like to try something different.

Pat

Here's the secret: comfort is in terms of pressure per square unit of backside. So the more backside on the seat, the more comfort. Not easy to translate that design concept into also being able to get your toes on the ground when standing still.

Not fashionable today to praise Corbin, but I seem to get along really well with the firm rubber padding and esp. their "leather" (breathing ability is a major part of comfort even if you don't feel wet and soggy on the bottom - which is one reason sheepskin is so beneficial).

Here's the secret: comfort is in terms of pressure per square unit of backside.

There's more to it than that. Yes, the Russell design of late uses consistent foam density across a very large target area. Spread the load if you will.

Others take a more targeted approach, using high density in areas where the most support is necessary, and less density in other areas.

The Mr Eds. Moto seat on my GS is considerably smaller than the Russell on my V-Strom, and the Russell's I've had previously. In spite of that "disadvantage" in terms of area, after the first 1500 miles or so I have a strong preference for the comfort from the Mr. Ed's Moto seat. I attribute this entirely to the high density foam used where the sit bones rest in the Mr. Ed's design.

It will be interesting to see how my first impression holds up.

A small difference due to seat width is normal but what you're describing doesn't sound quite right. When you say you have your feet on the ground with the stock seat, does that mean you're flat footed? On the balls of your feet? Have you talked to Russell about making the seat lower? It's well worth a couple tries to get this seat to work for you.

On older RT's and RS's, I've found changing the seat height by one position is enough to keep my feet comfortably on the ground when going from stock to Russell.

Archived