IGNORED

Reattaching system case moulding - and seeking advise

8uLiebr

The OEM moulding on my '02 R11150RT system cases is in various stages of coming unglued. Any suggestions on how to remove the old dried out glue? Any recommendations for the replacement adhesive?

DSC05370.JPG

Regards,

Nelson

I'm pretty sure 3M trim tape is what it was put on there with in the first place. It's commonly avaliable at Shucks, NAPA and the like, although they usually don't have 1/4" rolls. More likely you'll find a 3/4" roll, or thereabouts. Remove the old stuff with acetone or something.

too old to care

After a slight boo boo with my RT, (dropped while washing) I added the molding to cover the scratches. I found the factory tape (3M molding tape) did not hold well. I then got some black RTV at AutoZone and glued them on. There was a slight mess that cleaned up well around the molding, but the stuff never let go.

I've re-attached trim parts on my bike and the car with the adhesive tape. Worked like a charm for me. Still holding strong after about 7 years.... Just use it in the wider 3/4" version that's available at NAPA. It's 3X as wide, and presumably would hold on 3x as long. Just be sure to wipe it all down with acetone to remove any dirt, oil, old tape etc.

Archived