IGNORED

Zumo 665

vorwac00

I see Garmin is planning on releasing a Zumo 665 around March. XM stuff seems to be the difference, like weather, traffic...

Am anxious to see if they use the aviation XM weather package (with Nexrad radar, etc.) which is $29.99/month, or the *ground* XM weather package (with Nexrad radar, etc.), which is $99.99/month. Personally, I find the price discrepancies outlandish, as I am also a pilot. Why would it be cheaper in the air than on the ground!!

Craig

Craig, the radar is from XM, not Garmin, so you can choose the service you want. I've used the "fisherman" service in the past, for the $30 figure you quoted. There's a one-time rip to start the service, too. You can, once a year, put the service on 'end of season', i.e. hiatus and not have to pay the startup rip when you call them to start it up again.

Last time I turned it off, I was told I could only keep it off for "X" months without having to pay the startup fee. I barked at the guy, told him I might as well just cancel the whole XM package, and he put notes in my file to the effect that I can turn it back on when I darn well please. Remains to be seen if the notes are there next time I want the radar. I just use it a few months a year, and have been thinking I really don't need it at all, since I can almost always get online at the hotel in the morning and get all sorts of weather info for the day.

So you feel the Zumo 665 will support either feed from XM, that would be good... for those that are interested in this type of thing.

The 665 will undoubtedly use the existing Garmin GXM30 receiver/antenna,which feeds into the 665, and should support any XM wx package available.

and does that antenna support any XM weather package?

According to the GARMIN WEBSITE :

"The compact, all-in-one GXM 40 delivers XM Satellite weather, traffic and radio to your compatible Garmin unit. With the GXM 40 and a subscription to XM services, you can check the weather, avoid traffic backups or listen to the radio when you travel with your unit."

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15004&locale=en_EN

The 665 will undoubtedly use the existing Garmin GXM30 receiver/antenna,which feeds into the 665, and should support any XM wx package available.

It includes an XM antenna called the GXM30, and supports all of the XM services except for that really expensive weather package for aviation.

It includes an XM antenna called the GXM30, and supports all of the XM services except for that really expensive weather package for aviation.

New antenna for the 665,it's the

GXM40 as was previously posted.

JR356

anyone know the reason for the different antenna? Does this change its capability?

Looks like a GXM 30 with a blacked-out lid (instead of translucent). Description is the same.

Change the appearance and model #: thats worth another $50, doncha think? :dopeslap:

Archived