IGNORED

Another GPS Question

Sir Twisty

Wifey bought me a Garmin 255w, which although it's not waterproof, I think it should work just fine.I'll carry a good zip lock to cover it up, or even unhook it.

I'd like opinions from others, where the best place to mount the unit would be on a 2004 R1150rt.Also in terms of the actual wiring, it comes with the humongous cigarette male unit.

I'd prefer to hard wire it, with a fuse of course, to the battery, and be able to remove the unit as required for security reasons, or to use it in another vehicle.

Has anyone done this, and is there a connector cable with fuse that is available ????

All advice apprecciated

Thanks

Sir Twisty

I use a Garmin 750, very similar GPS unit, on a RAM ball mount (cradle from GPSCity with its own ball, plus Z-arm mount I had before). I replaced my front brake reservoir cover with an aftermarket cover-plus-RAM-ball widget. I use a Garmin-to-BMW-plug cord for power and plug it into my front fairing outlet (with a splitter if I want my jacket liner plugged in).

The cord is just right to not interfere with steering and to not rub on my paint (works best draped over my tankbag). The RAM mounted cradle is removable/replacable in ten seconds or so and I put the GPS in one of my bags at stops other than gas.

This one

or this might do the trick.

As for mounting, I put mine on the left handlebar. easy to reach, just shift to neutral. There's a pretty good argument for the other side, just use the foot brake. Left allows you to crash by fiddling and riding at the same time....

Thanks elkroeger.I didn't realize it, but GPS City has an outlet in Alberta, Canada.

Your recommendation steered me to their web-site, so now all the parts I need are on their way.

We've got a lot of snow here, so this is the time of the year that I while away the hours adding the farkles to my ride.

Thanks again

Sir Twisty

Don't want to hijack the thread but on your weather related statement that you like to add farkles during the winter. How do you heat your garage or do you work in a snow suit? I have some wiring to do on the GS as well plus frame up restauration of a R75 but it's too damn cold. Just curious, since I am looking for a sensible heating solution.

"Sir": I have a 200w and mounted it on a 1/32" aluminum plate that I attached to the backside (dash side) of my tank bag. I then velcroed the GPS onto the plate. I have a powered tank bag that has a cigarette type outlet so I just power the GPS with the car charger. The benefit of this arrangement is that all I need to do when going into a restaurant for lunch is unplug the tank bag power (powerlet on left fairing), unlatch it and take it, the GPS, and other things that are valuable inside with me. Also, as it is located at the back of the tank bag, it is physically close to my eyes which makes viewing it very easy.

Hey Dietrich--Heated garage???? In my dreams, but alas, not in my budget.Thankfully it doesn't get cold enough that the barley sandwiches, or other liquids, freeze.

I put on a good pair of winter overalls over a pair of jeans and heavy shirt, and just pick away.

Gotta do something bike related in the winter other than dreaming about an early spring.

Twisty

Archived