IGNORED

R1200RT - GPS Install Made Easy

skyskier

I've been planning for awhile to installing a GPS on my R1200RT. There are so many possibilities that it can be quiet a daunting decision. I liked the Zumo 660, but it had some growing pains in the beginning. I know it doesn't have XM, but I like to listen to my own music collection, so that is not an issue for me.

Then there's the question of how to mount it. I don't care for the look of the handle bar mount, plus I think the mount would be in my way when I wasn't using the GPS. Mounting down by the handlebar mounts might get in the way when I use a tankbag and it would definitely take my eyes off the road to view the screen. That left mounting it above the gauges.

So, after mulling over all the options these are the components I settled on:

- Garmin Zumo 660

- BMR Co-Pilot Shelf

- BMR Adjustable GPS Bracket

- BMW Adapter Connector (plugs directly into the GPS socket on the R1200RT)

I had a couple of questions about the BMR products, so before I ordered I called their phone number. I talked to Brett the owner of BMR, he was very helpful and answered all my questions. He also told me that if I went on-line and ordered my stuff that morning, I would probably get my stuff the next day. That was great because my 660 was suppose to arrive via UPS the next day. Sure enough, the next day when the UPS guy showed up I got my 660 and my order from BMR.

When I opened the box from BMR I was immediately impressed. The products were all shrink wrapped in bubblewrap, as well as packed with these cool little airbags so that the items in the box didn't get banged around during shipping. I removed the shelf and the GPS bracket from the bubblewrap, and WHOW! The powdercoat on these items was beautiful, smooth as glass an not an imperfection anywhere. Everything you needed to do the installation of the BMR products was included in the packages. All you need to provide is a torx wrench to remove the 4 BMW OEM screws that are replaced with longer ones from BMR.

An explaination about the photos that accompany this artical. I planned on doing a complete photo documentation of this install, but my camera battery was dead. So, I plugged it in to charge it as I started mapping out exactly how I was going to do the install. Well, so much for that plan. As I started looking over my products and seeing how they would go together I got carried away. Everything was fitting together so easily, the next thing I know the installation was done. Less than an hour to complete and my camera battery isn't even completely charged yet. So my pictures are from the completed installation, not the step-by-step documentation that I had planned to show.

01.jpg

Picture from BMR website

The installation instructions from BMR say to remove the windshield, but I was able to easily do the install by just placing the windshield in the fully upright position. I have torx wrenches that pivot into an "L" shape like an Alan wrench. If you only have the longer T-handle torx wrench you would probably have to remove the windshield to get access to the two screws up on the top of the cowl.

The attachment holes on the shelf lined up perfectly with the holes in the cowl. The shelf has rubber pads under the mounting points where it rests on the cowl so no marks will be left on the plastic cowl should you choose to remove the shelf in the future. BMR provides longer replacement stainless steel (SS) screws that have a large rubber backed stainless steel washer for attaching to the cowl.

02.jpg

The shelf is braced by arms at the front edge that attach to the shelf and then attach to the two screws at the bottom outside edges of the dash. BMR gives you longer screws, like what is used for attaching the top of the shelf, to replace the OEM screws on the dash. The support arms have a slot at the bottom attachment point which is also rubber backed so that it doesn't scratch your dash. The slot allows you to slide these arms into place. So, six screws, and 15 minutes, and the shelf is installed. 4 screws attach the shelf to the bike and 2 screws attach the support arms to the shelf.

03.jpg

04.jpg

The shelf is now mounted solidly on the bike.

05.jpg

The adjustable GPS bracket is next. Because the shelf for the R1200RT is angled to conform to the contour of the dash, there is a small platform included with the shelf for the R1200RT. The platform is needed to provide a level mounting point for the GPS bracket. The platform attaches using (4) SS screws and SS washers or the SS screws and the included black plastic washers with attached snap on covers. I choose the screws with the black covers, it looks very nice IMHO. All attachment points on the shelf and the other parts use treaded inserts in the holes. These are very solid because they are about 3/8" long so the screws have a lot of thread to hang on to. The GPS bracket attaches to the platform with (4) SS screws and the black snap covers.

06.jpg

Now I'm ready to attach the 660's bracket to the BMR GPS bracket. Because the 660's bracket is not flat on the back due to where the cable attaches, BMR provides nylon spacers to make for a flush mount. Using (4) SS screws, the nylon spaces, and nylock nuts, I attach the 660's bracket to the adjustable BMR GPS bracket.

07.jpg

The shelf, the platform, and the GPS bracket all have holes in the bases that line up so that you can feed the cable from the 660 down through the holes and under the shelf so that the cable is cleanly routed down from the GPS into your bike.

08.jpg

09.jpg

The support brackets have nice little slots along their back edges so you can zip-tie the cable neatly down from the shelf.

For now I have connected the connections for the Microphone and Audio out to the side bracket because I'm not sure where I want to perminately mount them.

10.jpg

11.jpg

I connected the power and ground wires from the 660s harness to the BMW adapter connector. I used Posi-seal weather proof connectors to make my connections. They are a solid connection and they are removable and reusable if I want to rearrange things. I found the connector to the BMW harness attached to the support in front of the gas tank, under the dash.

12.jpg

I made my connection and neatly bundled the excess wire on top of the support.

13.jpg

You can see in the pictures below the Posi-seal connectors and the fuse on the hot lead from the 660. The fuse is easily accessible in this position if it requires attention.

14.jpg

15.jpg

This installation was so easy that it took me less than an hour start to finish.

The GPS starts when I start my bike and shuts down when I turn my bike off. If I'm on a ride and stop at a gas station or to have a bite to eat, I tap the stay on button when I shut the bike off. The unit will run on battery until I return to the bike and start it up again. If I feel the need to secure the unit while I'm away from the bike, I can quickly remove it from the bracket, let it run on battery and lock it away on my bike or slip it in my pocket and take it with me. The BMR bracket will accept a Touratech lockable bracket for those that want that little bit of extra protection.

The 660 comes with a very nice case.

16.jpg

The case has an almost rubbery feel to it, which is nice so it doesn't slide when you set it down.

17.jpg

Final shot of the finished installation. The wing like accessory arms on top of the shelf next to the GPS are extra. The wings slightly below the accessory arms are part of the shelf and can also be used to locate more items. Ooh, the cheap looking garage door opener (bottom left) has been removed.

18.jpg

I am very happy with the ease of the installation and the functionality of all the components in this package. Some folks my say that the BMR unit is a bit pricey, but I think when you consider the build quality and the fit and finish, it is a bargain.

Thanks to these companies for their fine products.

Garmin - Zumo 660 - https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000

BMR - Co-Pilot Shelf and GPS Adjustable Bracket - http://www.bmrproducts.com

Posi-Lock - Posi-Seal Coontors - http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html

Last but not least BMW for their fine R1200RT

It looks nice.

I am also getting ready to do one but I choice the "Gadget Guys" Mount.It seems to be alot more work but looks and Functions well.

Nice write up Steve, great photos.

I arrived with nearly the same setup on my 08 RT. I started with the BMR shelf, the GPS power connection, and a Zumo 550. When I added an autocom I learned through a process of elimination that the GPS connector generates a lot of noise. I ended up running power back to a centech that was connected directly to the battery. WIth that the autocom was quiet. Something to consider if you add an intercom later.

I was an early 660 adopter, and at the time BMR didn't offer a plug and play solution for the 660 mount. I cobbled together spacers and hardware from Ace for mine. I posted pics here

http://krussell.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/z660-mount/img0231/533566216_KckBx-L.jpg

and sent an email to BMW with details. We went back and forth on specifics, and they appear to have adopted a similar solution. I had recommend a single solid block with four holes in as the ideal solution, but that didn't make it unfortunately.

I'm a huge fan of the BMR shelf functionality, but I think the GPS mount is a bit of an eyesore compared to the rest of it. From the front of the bike it really doesn't look like a 'product' and with the adoption of my cheesy spacer solution for the 660 it looks even more like a prototype.

The BMR commands a premium price, they need GPS mount that deserves the same respect the shelf gets.

David,

Like mentioned at the beginning of my post, there are a tremendous amount of options. If you are putting the Gadget Guys mount on a 1200RT, it does look like a much more complicated installation. That said, it does look pretty solid.

Kevin,

I agree that the white spacers don't do the rest of the unit justice. I talked to Brett at BMR about the white spacers. He agreed that he didn't really like the look either, but he hasn't located a supplier for black ones yet.

I like your idea about a solid block to fill that gap. That would really make it look more integrated. That is something that I may be able to fabricate myself. Thanks for that idea. :thumbsup: If I get that done I will post pictures here.

I chose the Migsel shelf which is simplicity self. No extra shelfs for Valentine etc though.

My cable runs are a little sketchy as I run them in the small channel formed between the instrument bezel and the dash itself.

You have a nice installation but a lot of pieces, I have one major piece and a RAM ball mount on it.

h

• 2 months later...

I'm looking at the various mounts for a GPS, since I'm short (5'6" and apparently shrinking) could you tell me the height of the GPS, for instance measure from the bike key slot to the top of the installed Zumo so I can do a mock up and check my sight lines over the unit.

I have to agree about the BMR shelf, quality product, easy install (if I can do it) and great position for the GPS (I have the older Zumo 550). The platform is very stable. I tried the Migsel and found it not rigid enough for a somewhat heavy GPS like the 550.

Or if you already have the BMR shelf you can easily add a RAM ball mount to it, and then use a RAM cradle for the GPS. Works very well also.

ArthurKnowles

As a quick FYI, I used the BMW mount that fits on the steering column for my 660. I ran in to the same issue with needing a spacer, but quickly solved that problem by using the RAM ball mount plate. I just cut the ball off which left a flat black plate with 4 predrilled holes.

Archived