IGNORED

Intercom systems

Rob L

I know this subject has been discussed as much as the oil questions, but I never got involved in those threads. Now I am looking for info ;)

I have used Chatterbox bike to bike/intercom systems for many years. I know that the sound quality is not great and the system is fragile, at least the headsets are. I have purchased at least 6 headsets over the years and need another now.

The question (finally!) Is there a system that has the bike to bike and intercom incorporated into one unit AND does not need to be installed on the bike AND is better than my Chatterbox units? I am looking for simple, easy to use, easy to move from bike to bike system. Suggestions?

J&M has systems that are of excellent quality and do not have to be installed on the bike.

Are they self contained (no external transmitter necessary?)

Rob, if you only need bike-2-bike for 2 bikes only (always the same 2), this has worked quite well for me. Mounts on your helmet.

http://www.myblueant.com/products/headsets/interphone/f4/index.php

I used their first version which wasn't stereo and had a 500 ft range and it was really great. And this one has even more features. it is completely self contained in the little black box (comes with headset).

I currently use an Autocom B2B setup that doesn't require the box--just wiring harness and PTT switch with a Kenwood GMRS radio, since I need to talk with several bikes.

We have the Scala Rider Q2 Multiset, and are very happy with it. I don't listen to music while I ride, so I can't speak to the quality of the sound or the battery life under those circumstances. But for communicating with another person, and connecting to another device such as a cell phone, it works great.

J&M has systems that are of excellent quality and do not have to be installed on the bike.

John, what do you currently use?

I use an autocom with the Kenwood GMRS that is powered by the autocom cable. This way I never need to worry about batteries and it is on when the bike is on and off when I stop. I leave it under the seat so you can't even see it. Has been working great for years.

Same here except I bypass the autocom mixer on the DS bikes, just using the PTT & harness with the Kenwood TK3131. I'll be out your way in 3 weeks. Will give you a shout. I have about 40 routes loaded in the Garmin 478--no way I'll ever hit them all though!

Thanks to all for your suggestions........now I am more confused than ever! Probably need to visit stores that sell these products and see how they attach etc.

Rob

Rob, try to find someone locally on the board that has instaled an Autocom or similar and they can show you much better than reading here. :thumbsup:

Archived