IGNORED

Zumo 550 problem

AZKomet

Geez...I hate electrical problems, my 550 will not charge. In the car, on the bike or with the 110 current plug in charger. You know how when you have it powered to a socket and it turns on when you hit the key? Well it turns on and that's it. It uses the batt power til dead. Also when you turn the power off the Zumo would say: "powering off in 30 secs". This doesn't happen when I power the key off. The Zumo stays on. Now the batt is so low I can't do anything with it.....

Any answers???? If not i will contact garmin but that is not been useful in the past.

TIA Dave

Well the tech support part has not been that helpful in times past. Maybe if I sent it in that would be different. I will give that a try and see what happens. Thanks, Larry

Dave, a few things can cause the issue you have..

First is a blown fuse in the power lead or a blown fuse in the cigarette lighter plug in the car unit..

Or corroded pins where the Zumo sits in the cradle..

Or you have something going on in you Zumo..

Twisty

Ive encountered two electrical problems with the Zumo- both easily fixed

1) Dirty connector in mount

2) Bad battery connection inside. Open back cover, remove battery, rub all terminals clean, put battery back.

2 took longer to figure out than 1. The Zumo can and does shake its battery loose so a connection might not be there at all or could be "make and break". Clean it as preventative before you try sending it in- only takes a couple minutes.

Geez...I hate electrical problems, my 550 will not charge.

Any answers???? If not i will contact garmin but that is not been useful in the past.

TIA Dave

Garmin claims a Zumo(xxx) will not fail on a KGT. Sounds like you need a new bike.

Geez...I hate electrical problems, my 550 will not charge.

TIA Dave

Garmin claims a Zumo(xxx) will not fail on a KGT. Sounds like you need a new bike.

Perfect. Now you will know exactly where you are when your GT breaks! :)

Fightingpiper

On mine the little round contacts on the bottom of the Zumo were worn away and it would not take a charge from either cradle. They sent me a new Zumo. Unfortunately I left the black covers on my old zumo when I sent it in but 1bmwfan so graciously said he would send me his unused black ones but sadly they never arrived......

On mine the little round contacts on the bottom of the Zumo were worn away and it would not take a charge from either cradle. They sent me a new Zumo. Unfortunately I left the black covers on my old zumo when I sent it in but 1bmwfan so graciously said he would send me his unused black ones but sadly they never arrived......

Ouch!! I am SOOOOOOOO sorry!!! I completely forgot. Let me go look and see if I can find them and I will send them out...hmmm, where did I put those.

We need a new emo! DONKEY!

Ive encountered two electrical problems with the Zumo- both easily fixed

1) Dirty connector in mount

2) Bad battery connection inside. Open back cover, remove battery, rub all terminals clean, put battery back.

2 took longer to figure out than 1. The Zumo can and does shake its battery loose so a connection might not be there at all or could be "make and break". Clean it as preventative before you try sending it in- only takes a couple minutes.

Ok, good news! I took the batt out of the Zumo and sure enough moisture has gotten to the contacts. Cleaned batt then replaced along with the contacts cleaned on the cradle and bottom of Zumo.

So all is well with the 550.....I sure did miss it while out riding today! Thanks!

Archived