IGNORED

Campers, What do you pack

WURTY

I have a small DRZ400 dualsport with panniers and plan on lots of exploring and remote camping.

When camping off your bike for a few days just what is essential for a comfort minded minimalist with a sleeping bag and small tent.

You GS riders out there what do you pack and how do you take advantage of very limited storage.

I have a Big Agnes sleeping bag and pad that will strap to the back of my bike along with a small 2 man tent.

List your ideas for me.

TIA.

If you haven't already been there, go to www.advriders.com and search their equipment threads...TONS o' detailed m/c specific packing lists, tent recommendations, hammock recommendations, cook kit recommendations and ...well...a LOT of recommendations... :wave:

The link shown is a good start point, although very comprehensive, for what to pack. Think about the minimum comforts you would want and then lay out what you think you need. Then go through the items again and try to cut it in half. Also, after you get back from a camping trip, go thru what you took that you did not use and leave it home next time. After a couple of trips you will have the minimums figured out. Also, if riding solo your list will be different than if you ride 2 up. Good luck.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/

skinny_tom (aka boney)

If I'm going out for a few days, I try to plan gas stops for the middle of the day. This eliminates carrying lunch, as there's usually a restaurant nearby. I can go a few nights on Freeze Dried food before I need a better meal. The advantage is that you can pour boiling water right into the package and reconstitute it there. No cleaning dishes, and the waste is a small bag that packs flat. Breakfast is usually a fruit cup or two with granola. Again, the waste flattens and packs small. I'm not a fan of the french press thing. While you have to carry filters and a small Melita, it's super easy to clean up- just toss it in the trash bag when you're done- No washing, no rinsing etc. Remember to carry a gallon size ziplock for each day's trash. Chuck it at the gas station.

I agree with Boney; the secret is not to have to do dishes. Just boil water. I usually have oatmeal for breakfast and fix my morning tea in the same bowl, using the tea bag to swab out the remaining oatmeal bits and clean the spoon. Last thing is to pour boiling water on everything, shake it off and pack it away. Supper is boiling water into the foil bag of freeeze dried food and another bowl of tea. Most of the trash can be burned in the campfire and the residue picked out and bagged up. Burning it dries it out, gets rid of the odors, and compacts it.

Water is the big consideration. Not a problem at campgrounds, but off by yourself, it gets real important real fast. A lot of good water filters on the market and boiling never hurts.

If you want a campfire, carry some firestarters and a saw. Don't try to burn twigs that don't snap cleanly unless you've already got a blazing bonfire going. Don't try to feed a telephone pole log into a fire--use the saw to make shorter logs.

---

Particularly on overnight trips (I do this backpacking too), I will skip the stove altogether. Bring an old cake cooling rack, and use it as a campfire grate. Find some rocks to set it on. Build a small fire, just enough to cook on. You can even get by on willow twigs. A couple steaks and ears of corn - that's what I'm talkin' about! Store the rack in a zip-lock or similar bag. If you can find thin-cut steaks, sometimes that's helpful. Best to get yourself a cake rack at Goodwill, rather than pinching your wife's. But you don't need to be told that....

Another good space saving device is Spicy Montreal steak seasoning. You can leave all your other spices at home. That stuff goes on steaks, eggs, vegetables, hamburgers, rice, salad..... Everything but ice cream.

For breakfast, I have coffee press. I make runny instant oatmeal in it first, with warm water, and then coffee. Drink your oatmeal while your water boils for your coffee. The coffee winds up with some pleasing oatey notes.... Cinnamon and spice, brown sugar and cinnamon, peaches and cream - some of them actually sorta work with coffee. :-)

Read Ray Jardine's book.

WURTY, you will get a lot of advice on this one as people camp in different climate regions & have varying amounts of motorcycle storage area..

I would send you my camping list but what works for me probably won’t work for you..

I will say that what I take along camping on my RT is W-A-Y more than what I take on my KLR..

A few suggestions I can offer from long term motorcycle camping..

--On the off-road bikes try to keep the weight as low as possible & centered..

--Use ALL the space you can find,, I load the under-seat on my dirt bikes with the stuff I might need but not use a lot..

--A tank bag on the off-road bikes seem to work pretty well to add carrying capacity..

--On my KLR I have plenty of extra fuel with me so I can go a long ways off road,, on your DRZ you are not going real far without hauling along some extra fuel or adding a larger tank..

--On your sleeping bag.. Don’t just have just one sleeping bag,, get some lightweights for the warmer weather camping as they are lighter & take up much less room.. Then take a couple of those foil space blankets in case you get a real cold night..

--Camp water will be a biggie & carrying enough with you is difficult so take a small collapsible water container to use to get local water (use for everything except drinking)..

--Take a decent first aid kit (I have used mine more than I want to think about)..

--If your bike has hard panniers it is ever so easy to injure a leg or foot if you take even a slow speed fall so if you have hard panniers keep that in mind..

--What I have found that works about the best for exploring type camping is to go with another bike (or bikes).. That way you can coordinate & split the load on camp type things,, you can even share cookware & share a tent if needed to save weight & space..

--Try to work in a small tow strap as you just never know when you might need a tow out of a deep woods or other inaccessible place.. I have used my tow strap many times (mostly to tow others out)..

--Try to work a small tire repair kit into you stuff.. Co2 fill tubes run out REAL FAST so maybe consider a small hand or electric air pump (for my RT I have a small gutted electric pump ‘no case=very small’ for off road I have a very small light weight bicycle pump (lot of work but does work great).. Don’t forget the light weight short tire irons.. This would be under seat stuff if possible.. It is also only needed on one of the bikes on your off road excursions..

Before you go out camping try camping in your back yard a few nights to see what you might need & more importantly don’t need (don’t cheat & run in the house for something (pooping inside is permitted but that is ALL),, remember you are simulating a remote camping area,, IMPROVISE)..

Then make a camping list,, keep it handy (I keep mine on my computers) then keep it up to date as you find you need something or don’t use something that you took last trip.. I even have a summer,, early spring,, late fall,, off-road ,, (specific lists) as what I need to take varies by season & type of bike used..

Above all—on that DRZ don’t forget the ‘Monkey Butt Cream’,, & have fun.. I am an old fart (my wear-bars are starting to show) & still enjoy way-off-road camping but tend to not camp by myself much anymore..

Added: road flairs make very good fire starters & also good position markers seen from the air at night if you have problems a long ways from civilization..

Twisty

I like dishes to eat out of. Cleaning comments above are right on the money..so, look at Campmor.com, and pick up their silicone eating kit. Very light-weight, squishes to pack easily, and trivial to clean.

Random thoughts, our gear would be way more than a single camper, but we take a lot.

:/

Shelter, we use either a big tent, Sunrise 9, that I can stand in, large for mc camping but can work, or a smaller 3 person Eureka Pinnacle 3XTA which is about 6 pounds w/stakes and fly, and packs small.

Carry a groundcloth.

Fire- we use a Coleman dual fuel single burner. Runs on white/gasoline.

I carry a small folding grill (has legs) that can be set up in conjunction w/the stove, or used as a grill. This give a more stable platform to place pans for boiling water/cooking and doesn't take up much room.

I keep the stove in a small insulated lunch box, soft sided, this keeps it and the accessories separated from other gear and makes storage easy.\

We carry a nut mixture. Great for snacks at stops and excellent addition to the morning oatmeal.

Camp soap. There are biodegradable camp soaps that are multipupose for cleaning/bathing.

We carry utensils (stacking) and multi-utensil tools in another soft sided lunch box. Same rationale. Easy to pack and keep organized.

Tea/hot chocolate/coffee depending on weather and personal preference in single use package or small servings and a cup w/lid for serving.

This cup can fit in the utensil lunch box if needed.

A wet bag. We have a Helen 2 Wheels mesh bag.

Excellent for towels/etc and can be hooked to luggage rack or wherever and used to keep items separate and facilitate drying.

Sleep.

Being uncomfortable will reduce the desire to camp.

For us it is a primary concern.

We carry inflatable camping mats. And a pump.

Self-inflating don't work for me, YMMV.

Staying warm.

Another biggie.

In cold weather we carry silk sleeping bag liners (very small and efficient) and microfleece blankets, again, YMMV.

We also carry camping pillows, 5 of them, YMMV.

We have two extra-long sleeping bags that can zip together.

They weigh @2 lbs each.

We use compression sacks/caps to redue size of bags and tent.

Chairs.

We use sling chairs. Seems people like or dislike, no middle ground. They weigh 30 oz each and work for us. Pack very, very small.

Lighting.

We carry an LED lantern, smallish, but works as a light, flashlight, by moving parts around on it. It packs in the softsided lunch box above.

Clothesline. Never know when you need a good rope (nylon) and it is nice to have a place to hang stuff and sun dry. I carry about 15' of it.

Fire starter. I carry magnesium fire starter kit, very small, for security/redundancy.

Food, freeze dried dehydrated varieties. There is some good stuff out there.

Perishables, pick up if desired, at last stop of the day.

Then there are the various and sundry bug repellants, first aid and regular stuff I carry on the bike.

All of this, plus more I'm not listing, fit in the side cases and a Mags Bag Upack.

This picture shows the tent, chairs, soft sided lunch bags (on table) w/misc other stuff, and the sling chairs.

The Upack is on the bike w/a rain cover over it.

Torreya2007039.jpg

I built a small wooden support, as wide as the Upack is, that bolts to my luggage rack and stabilizes the load while making it easier to tie down.

Several of my riding buddies and I rode the Continental Divide Ride on KLR,s, DR650's, LC4's, XL's, etc. I used tips provided by Big Dog and Gas Pipe on their trip reports found on ADVRider for the TAT and Divide ride. Might want to check into that site.

We rode from central CO to Mexico, and back and from the same start point to Canada and back. While minimalist packing we could have spent the night in any desolate cold environment and survived comfortably if we had to. I have since bought a BA sleeping bag and BA sleep mat because they pack small (lots of other brand options though). Emergency blankets take up little space and can keep cold from penetrating your sleep bag when used as a ground cloth in the tent under your bag. A second emer blkt would provide even more warmth in/on top of the bag if needed. When riding my RT I still try to pack lean. In most locations you can find a store to buy whatever you forgot or think you need. If you must have more creature comforts then your wt will incrase along with the bulk you load on that DR so watch it. Good luck. Lots of other good suggestions in this thread too.

Go ultralight on about everything. (look at ultralight backpacking equipment and practices).

- Ultralight backpacker's tent. I had custom poles made for mine that are short enough to fit inside my topcase or side cases when collpased.

- Instead of a conventional 3-season sleeping bag, get an ultralight summer bag like the REI Travel Sack 55+. It stuffs into a sack the size of 1/2 a loaf of bread. Buy a sleeping bag liner for added insulation if you really think you need it. Then, and here's the important part...wear your riding gear to bed if it's cold. Zip up in your 'Stitch, then climb in your ultralight sleeping bag and you're set.

- Sleeping pad should be (you guessed it) an ultralight backpacker's version. Thin, inflatable, 3/4 length instead of full length, rolls up to about 1/2 bread loaf size.

- Clothing: Microfiber long-sleeve collared shirts and microfiber convertible pants. 2 of each. That's it. Wear one set while washing the other set in a restroom wash basin or creek. No underwear (the pants already have a liner like swim trunks). Pants include zip-off legs to convert to shorts, and a built-in belt. The microfiber shirts are flexible; sleeves can be rolled up or down depending on temps. The collar on the shirt, and tucking your shirt in, means you can still be appropriately dressed when dining at the local rib joint in town. Think it might get cold? Bring a wool hat. Keeping your head warm, you can be cozy wearing t-shirt and shorts in a blizzard. Wear your wool hat to bed too. Oh, and wear your riding gloves to bed while you're at it too. Just when it's time for bed, dress like you're going for a ride, put on your wool hat instead of a helmet, climb in your sleeping bag and go nite nite. I'd also sometimes bring "disposable" t-shirts (you know, those shirts you either throw away or make into rags because they're so old). Don't throw it out, save it, wear it for a day or two on your trip then throw it out or burn it in the campfire. Don't have to worry about washing it or packing it back home then.

- Shoes: Wear your riding boots. If you have the luxury of extra space, maybe pack a pair of flip flops or cheap old sneakers. Get a small length of webbing with a cinch buckle, put the two shoes together toe-to-heel, tongues facing each other. Put the webbing around the shoes and cinch as hard as you can while putting your knee into it. You'll be amazed how much you can compress a pair of sneakers. I like cheap-old stuff, because if I decide I need more space in my bags for something else then I won't miss them when I throw them out while on my trip.

- Kitchen items: No liquid fuel backpacker's stoves. They're too big and bulky, plus the liquid fuel hazard. Get an Esbit-type solid fuel pellet stove. It's the size of a deck of playing cards. Carry a cheap plastic bowl and spoon if you want, or just retain your McDonald's drink cup from your last stop and ask them for a spoon. Better yet, who needs a spoon. I am a coffee addict, so I must have my 500ml "bullet-type" thermos. Carry a couple of paper coffee filters and ground coffee. Put the paper filter in the top of your thermos (don't let it fall inside) with some coffee grounds in it and pour hot water through it. Don't forget individual packets of sugar and creamer. These can be obtained for free (McDonalds is your friend). Oh, you'll need some sort of vessel to heat water in over your Esbit stove. Get a compact fancy titanium one if you must, but a tin can works just as well. Of course the freeze-dried backpacker meals work well, but also consider MRE's with the included heating elements. No need to carry a stove then (or you can save your fuel pellets to make coffee). Small flask of Jack Daniels or similar spirit is a must too. Helps keep you warm at night in addition to relaxing by the campfire. I like Jack because of its compactness, versatility (straight up, with water over ice, with 7up, with hot water and sugar, etc. etc.), and it just tastes good too.

- Toiletries: Get a compact/lightweight toiletry bag, or just use a Ziploc Freezer Bag. Buy a bunch of 1 ounce plastic bottles and put your toiletry essentials in these bottles instead of carrying around large 6-12 ounce bottles. Also hit your local CVS/WalMart/Target, go to the asile with the sample/travel size tooth brushes, toothpaste, deoderant, soap, etc. and get those for your compact travel kit.

Anyway you get the idea. Look at all your gear and cut its size and bulk in half or more. Think thinner, lighter, smaller, compact multi-use. Lots of things you can do without too. Anyway, my wife and I had no problem packing my RT down for 2-up riding with a tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 inflatable sleeping pads, and misc items just in the top case. Then I packed my clothing and personal items in the left saddlebag, and my wife did the same in the right saddlebag. We didn't have to lash anything down to the outside of the saddlebags or motorcycle--it all fit inside the cases. We had no problem traveling for a week or more at a time for long distances like this, although I think my wife got a little tired of the frequent laundry washing. :)

Harry_Wilshusen
Go ultralight on about everything. (look at ultralight backpacking equipment and practices).

- Ultralight backpacker's tent. I had custom poles made for mine that are short enough to fit inside my topcase or side cases when collpased.

- Instead of a conventional 3-season sleeping bag, get an ultralight summer bag like the REI Travel Sack 55+. It stuffs into a sack the size of 1/2 a loaf of bread. Buy a sleeping bag liner for added insulation if you really think you need it. Then, and here's the important part...wear your riding gear to bed if it's cold. Zip up in your 'Stitch, then climb in your ultralight sleeping bag and you're set.

- Sleeping pad should be (you guessed it) an ultralight backpacker's version. Thin, inflatable, 3/4 length instead of full length, rolls up to about 1/2 bread loaf size.

- Clothing: Microfiber long-sleeve collared shirts and microfiber convertible pants. 2 of each. That's it. Wear one set while washing the other set in a restroom wash basin or creek. No underwear (the pants already have a liner like swim trunks). Pants include zip-off legs to convert to shorts, and a built-in belt. The microfiber shirts are flexible; sleeves can be rolled up or down depending on temps. The collar on the shirt, and tucking your shirt in, means you can still be appropriately dressed when dining at the local rib joint in town. Think it might get cold? Bring a wool hat. Keeping your head warm, you can be cozy wearing t-shirt and shorts in a blizzard. Wear your wool hat to bed too. Oh, and wear your riding gloves to bed while you're at it too. Just when it's time for bed, dress like you're going for a ride, put on your wool hat instead of a helmet, climb in your sleeping bag and go nite nite. I'd also sometimes bring "disposable" t-shirts (you know, those shirts you either throw away or make into rags because they're so old). Don't throw it out, save it, wear it for a day or two on your trip then throw it out or burn it in the campfire. Don't have to worry about washing it or packing it back home then.

- Shoes: Wear your riding boots. If you have the luxury of extra space, maybe pack a pair of flip flops or cheap old sneakers. Get a small length of webbing with a cinch buckle, put the two shoes together toe-to-heel, tongues facing each other. Put the webbing around the shoes and cinch as hard as you can while putting your knee into it. You'll be amazed how much you can compress a pair of sneakers. I like cheap-old stuff, because if I decide I need more space in my bags for something else then I won't miss them when I throw them out while on my trip.

- Kitchen items: No liquid fuel backpacker's stoves. They're too big and bulky, plus the liquid fuel hazard. Get an Esbit-type solid fuel pellet stove. It's the size of a deck of playing cards. Carry a cheap plastic bowl and spoon if you want, or just retain your McDonald's drink cup from your last stop and ask them for a spoon. Better yet, who needs a spoon. I am a coffee addict, so I must have my 500ml "bullet-type" thermos. Carry a couple of paper coffee filters and ground coffee. Put the paper filter in the top of your thermos (don't let it fall inside) with some coffee grounds in it and pour hot water through it. Don't forget individual packets of sugar and creamer. These can be obtained for free (McDonalds is your friend). Oh, you'll need some sort of vessel to heat water in over your Esbit stove. Get a compact fancy titanium one if you must, but a tin can works just as well. Of course the freeze-dried backpacker meals work well, but also consider MRE's with the included heating elements. No need to carry a stove then (or you can save your fuel pellets to make coffee). Small flask of Jack Daniels or similar spirit is a must too. Helps keep you warm at night in addition to relaxing by the campfire. I like Jack because of its compactness, versatility (straight up, with water over ice, with 7up, with hot water and sugar, etc. etc.), and it just tastes good too.

- Toiletries: Get a compact/lightweight toiletry bag, or just use a Ziploc Freezer Bag. Buy a bunch of 1 ounce plastic bottles and put your toiletry essentials in these bottles instead of carrying around large 6-12 ounce bottles. Also hit your local CVS/WalMart/Target, go to the asile with the sample/travel size tooth brushes, toothpaste, deoderant, soap, etc. and get those for your compact travel kit.

Anyway you get the idea. Look at all your gear and cut its size and bulk in half or more. Think thinner, lighter, smaller, compact multi-use. Lots of things you can do without too. Anyway, my wife and I had no problem packing my RT down for 2-up riding with a tent, 2 sleeping bags, 2 inflatable sleeping pads, and misc items just in the top case. Then I packed my clothing and personal items in the left saddlebag, and my wife did the same in the right saddlebag. We didn't have to lash anything down to the outside of the saddlebags or motorcycle--it all fit inside the cases. We had no problem traveling for a week or more at a time for long distances like this, although I think my wife got a little tired of the frequent laundry washing. :)

I used this minimalist 2up camping.

The next trip I was able to save more space. The wife was replaced with an inflatable.

Do they make inflatable sheep?

Harry

Good reminder on the wool hat for cold weather.

:dopeslap:

Also, towels, microfiber camping towels work.

Small/lightweight/ dry quickly.

You do bathe, right?

;)

In areas where showers are rare, moist wipes are a good alternative. Cheap, easy to carry, and while they cannot replace a shower they can stave off the issues of no shower.

Yep, good call on the small camping towel. I do carry one of those as well. Not the greatest, but it does get the job done anyway. And does dry fast too.

No Bathing for me. I'm dirt biking, not bumping uglies with the locals... :eek:

I am reading everones ideas and now I realize I need more money for toys and equipment.....

Don't bring a pillow. Just stuff some of your extra clothes in the sleeve of a fleece jacket as well as the rest of the jacket. Also, take extra clothes and stuff sacks, etc. and put them under your knees at night. Having bent knees is more comfortable for sleeping and provides additional insulation from the ground. You may even be able to get by with a half or three quarter length pad. Also, I've been known to zip up my jacket and put it on the foot of the sleeping bag for warmer feet at night.

Last big hint: If you wake up and have to pee, just get up and go. You'll sleep warmer without your body having to keep the additional liter of fluid heated to 98.6 degrees.

---

A few more ideas - :

Coffee bags (like tea bags)

Small pressure cooker

Dry beans

Rice

Dried spices

None takes up much space. The pressure cooker allows you to cook the dried goods at higher temps, so you don't need to soak 'em before ya cook 'em.

I just went to a moto camping seminar a couple weeks back at our club rally. The folks doing it were able to pack down pretty small considering all the creature comforts they had for two up... Together they had a duffle for the tent/groundcloth and then a waterproof rubber bag on each bike one for inside the tent stuff and one for their clothes. They used a top case on one of the bikes for fresh food bought during the day from fruit stands, etc

1. no sleeping pads, but 2 twin sized air beds and a pump.

2. 1 sleeping bag and a set of sheets insulates the air beds and acts as a blanket. folds up smaller too.

3. he used an auto dome light on a pigtail plugged into a powerlet on his bike for tent/table lights. small, no batteries or chargers to carry. A small LED flashlight in the tent works well enough for seeing around the tent.

4. if you have electricity and are camping in the cold, an old blow dryer will work great as a tent heater, just run the extension cords before you go to bed.

5. eat a big meal during the day and have a light meal/snack at the campsite. Coffee and instant oatmeal and you're good for breakfast.

6. take your riding gear in the tent. Waterproof jackets can be put at the ends of your sleeping bags to keep dew off the sleeping kit. A bonus, if it's raining you can suit up for rain riding and tear your camp down in your rainsuit/helmet.

7. ride early, stop early... That way if your tent is a bit damp from morning dew, you can still pack it up and when you get stopped and set up it will dry quick enough for you to use it at night.

there was more and I'll try to add to this list.

Along with the ultra light gear I ALWAYS Pack:

Usually one of these:

Para-Ordnance LDA .45;

S&W Bodyguard .357

Armalite AR-7 .22 (packs down into the stock which floats. I've had it since about 1967)

Places I go are so far up in the Sierras they feel good to have around.

as a matter of fact there is a surplus of mountain lion's and wolves in Idaho.

You bet I'll be packing a s&w .40. but that's just for the 2 legged animals.

Archived