IGNORED

Helmet Locks

KevinRT

The under seat helmet lock on my 98 RT was a pain in the butt to use, especially when loaded with camping gear. I ended up using a 24" cable and looping it thru the chin guard, but it was still a pain as the seat would have to be removed for access. On the new-to-me 08 RT it seems to be even a bigger pain so I am looking for another solution. I have considered one of the units that mounts behind the licence plate brackets (or in place of it). Ztechnik has one at

http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/ztech/Z5505A.html?search_model=bm-066

and there are others.

Is there another solution out there that I should consider?

Have you considered using your cable and a small lock? I just run a cable with looped ends through the face opening and then secure it to the top box support frame. I also sometimes use a small arms cable lock that you can usually get free from local police departments. The locking mechanism is kind of cheap, but it will prevent someone from just picking up your helmet and walking away with it. I don't want the opening of my helmet facing upward when I lock it -- inside could fill with rain or bird could do-do in it. :)

I use a 6' coiled Abus lock.

http://www.abuslocks.com/item.asp?CID=2114

I can run it through the sleeves of both jacket and get both helmets and, in a pinch, both of our pants.

Will lock to the bike and deter grab and run theft.

Also doubles as a motorcycle lock when stopped.

Run through the discs and bike can't be rolled away very easily.

Also works w/a bike cover.

+1 for the Master cable lock. Found mine on Amazon. Lightweight, easy to install and can be switched from bike to bike.
+2,,With the lic. plate locks,They just cut the strap and all you have hanging there is a ring,,Then they install a new ring and sew the strap back up,I have seen helmet at the flee market that have had this done to them,,Ah the world we live in,,,

Had a Ztechnik and it broke the bracket it was attached to. Liked it and used it but on the RS/GT the license plate is attached to a thin sheet metal bracket that can not support the extra weight. Lost my helmet lock and license plate when it broke off due to metal fatigue.

I've got the best idea yet. I installed trailer coupler locks (modified of course), into the spare mirror holes on the brake and clutch handle housings. So I can just slip the d ring on the steel stem that sticks up about 2 inches, and slip the lock on the stem. The helmet is then right side up, won't collect rain or dust. I'll take a picture and try to post it here.

Another helmet lock option is to get gun locks, free, from the local police depts. While they require a key, they give many options for attachment to lots of places.

.......helmet lock on my 98 RT was a pain in the butt to use......

Is there another solution out there that I should consider?

I use a regular cable lock, the kind with a combination lock and a think (2mm?) cable. When locked it forms a loop or circle about 14 inches in diameter. I got that lock with some MC luggage from Kury some time ago. I use it to secure things like my helmet, bike luggage, etc, and it works well. I don't fiddle with the under seat area as it's not practical once the bike is loaded. I just loop the cable around the rear seat grab rail, on any other similar area. Works very well. I have also locked my summer mesh jacket with it.

Mostly I stow my helmet in my side case, but if I really need that case to actually carry something, I went with Aerostich Cable lock with alarm. It's kind of big. It requires another key. BUT, it uses a 3mm cable, which isn't impervious but will slow down if not prevent cutting. But even if they do it's a super loud siren. And when I mean loud, I stupidly tested it out to see if the siren worked, and I had ringing ears for a day.

I have an expensive Shoei helmet, and I don't feel like finding $600 to replace it. I run the cable through the helmet and tank bag if I'm leaving it for awhile.

Archived