IGNORED

Thinking of a Harbor Freight Motorcycle Lift...Opinions please

cali_beemer

So I was looking at the Harbor freight motorcycle lifts. Anyone using one? Looking for opinions. I currently have a coupon to get one for $279. I would also try to use my 20 percent off coupon although I doubt it will work with the other coupon. Then I have alot of money in gift cards, so the economics of owning a lift are becoming closer than ever. I am just trying to figure out if this will be a big mistake. I am looking for all opinions.

Also, HF has 3 differnt models. Any opinions on the all air unit (runs off your air compressor) vs the basic floor pump version

Chuck U Farley
So I was looking at the Harbor freight motorcycle lifts. Anyone using one? Looking for opinions. I currently have a coupon to get one for $279. I would also try to use my 20 percent off coupon although I doubt it will work with the other coupon. Then I have alot of money in gift cards, so the economics of owning a lift are becoming closer than ever. I am just trying to figure out if this will be a big mistake. I am looking for all opinions.

Also, HF has 3 differnt models. Any opinions on the all air unit (runs off your air compressor) vs the basic floor pump version

I bought one as a Christmas present for my 1150RT.(she really likes it)

Its the foot pump hydraulic model seen here:

91764.gif

I've used a friend of mines for years to work on my Harleys and it is an awesome lift. Cycle World has a Harbor Freight coupon that reduces the price to 249.00. HF won't let you use the 20% off coupon in conjunction with this sale.

No doubt the HF lift can be had for a very reasonable price. I tend to believe you get what you pay for as I have heard some owners complain about issues with the poor quality lifting mechanism, leaking seals, broken parts and one who related it would not retract unless the air source was removed. Check the warranty and I believe you will see it is like for 90 days. But to be fair I have heard of others who have had good luck with them. When I was in the market for a lift I did some research and talked to a number of shop owners, mechanics and even some of the manufactures. The unit sold by HF is produced in China and is sold under various other brand names.

It was my intention to sink the lift in the floor and I figured I would never be able to get anyone to actually come and service one if it did take a crap I opted to spend the extra and buy a Handy Lift. From what I could tell through conversations and visiting some shops the Handy is the one most used by the Pros.

At any rate I suspect for a casual user the HF would be OK.

I have the model pictured. Have had it for 5 years, using it 5-6x per year. It's been perfect. Don't have the load too far forward, mark the Centerstand position for your bike(s). Have someone help you the first few times with a large/heavy bike.

I bought one as a Christmas present for my 1150RT.(she really likes it)

Its the foot pump hydraulic model seen here:

91764.gif

I've used a friend of mines for years to work on my Harleys and it is an awesome lift. Cycle World has a Harbor Freight coupon that reduces the price to 249.00. HF won't let you use the 20% off coupon in conjunction with this sale.

I have owned one of these for several years(foot pump type),long before they carried the Harbor freight logo and have no problems with it.Obviously its not as good as a Handy lift,but will suffice if your not willing to pay for the better models.

I put eye bolts in all four corners of mine and use tie down straps as a safety measure anytime the lift is up.

When you raise 800 lbs 4 ' off the floor, I would think you would want the best money can buy. Both your safety and the motorcycle are at stake. That extra $300 won't replace your damaged bike or cover a trip to the emergency room.

For double what it costs to buy Chinese steel, you can have quality lift equipment.

Go to a motorcycle repair shop and see what they use.

For example..

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-lifts.htm

Thanks for the opinions. I am very opposed to buying Chinese made products, I always prefer American whenever possible. My only issue is that I am trying to save for a set of Ohlins and I dont have the budget for a Handly lift. With gift cards and coupon, I am out of pocket about 100 bucks. On the other hand, I dont want to waste my hundred dollars on a piece of junk.

I have owned a HF foot pump lift for a number of years, I use it all the time. It has never failed me in any way.

I know a number of folks who have them; none of them have had any problems.

The people who seem to speak the worst about the HF lifts, almost never have owned one.

Listen to the people who have owned one. Just like buying a motorcycle, the opinions of those who own the model you are considering, are far more important than those who have never owned one.

The only negative opinion I have seen of the HF footpump lift as pictured is Nick's (Deadboy).

Our's has worked fine for two and a half years now. With 2 RT's, an F, two dirt bikes, and a vintage bike, plus a few visitors, it gets used a lot. I've used it to load bikes onto the truck too. My guess is that it has probably has 400 lift cycles under it's belt, maybe more.

The idea that it could collapse on you is absurd. It has a heavy steel safety bar to prevent collapse.

If I were a pro shop, lifting bikes daily, 8 hours a day, or more, then it would be worth it to invest in something intended for that kind of use. For the homeowner doing their own bike maintenance, the HF lift is just fine.

To reduce space requirements you can store a bike on it (lowered position), or raise it and use it as table space.

I bought one a number of years ago when I had my Road King. It's always worked fine but at the time I did hear about some substandard fasteners people had found. Essentially the bolts were marked as grade 5 (or whatever grade it was) but were not acutally manufactured to that standard. I haven't used mine since I got the BMW but I've thought if I went back to it, replacing all the critical bolts would be cheap peace of mind. YMMV

Many of us have done a wheel chock upgrade. The wheel chock provided is fine for holding a bike secure while it is on its center stand. However, it will not securely hold a motorcycle on its own.

This the best shot I have of my upgraded chock, not the best pic, sorry.

188058633_dxnCo-L.jpg

I indeed had a failure on mine right at day 90 (foot pump flat out stopped working). I took it back and they were willing to take it and give me a new one or refund my $$. I took the money, I just never felt it was a quality piece of equipment and given the possible serious damage to me and/or the bike I just decided to get a better lift.

If I was working on lighter bikes (say a smaller dirt bike) I wouldn't think twice about it, but the RT just never seemed stable enough up there for my comfort.

Chuck U Farley

I have owned one of these for several years(foot pump type),long before they carried the Harbor freight logo and have no problems with it.Obviously its not as good as a Handy lift,but will suffice if your not willing to pay for the better models.

I put eye bolts in all four corners of mine and use tie down straps as a safety measure anytime the lift is up.

I did the same thing with the eye bolts. Highly recommend this mod.

I have a Kendon sportbike lift which I like for bikes under 500 lbs, and for the fact that it stands up and takes up no garage floor space when not in use. It is ok for home use now and then but in my opinion not good enough for shop use. While it will lift my RT no problem, it is not exactly confidence inspiring and I put a jackstand under rear section to stabilize it. They do make a heavier model.

Sport-Bike-Lift-Up%20(450%20x%20315).jpg

I've got the air/hydraulic model. I used it with air once and realized that it was both faster and easier to pump it up with the pedal. This model just uses some kind of air piston to pump the hydraulic jack. Worthless. Another minor issue is that you're supposed to fill the jack with hydraulic oil while it's in the full-down position, but the cross bracing on the lift arms blocks access to the fill hole in that position.

That being said, the lift has worked fine for me. Mine came with the larger lazy-L-shaped front chock, which has good and bad points. The bad is that you have to be careful not to hit the front brake disks on the chock. The good is obviously much more secure hold. I use mine a couple of times a year. It lives under my workbench when I'm not using it.

For home use, and $100 out of pocket, I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

So if I go harbor freight route, they make an all air unit for not much more. I am trying to figure out if the all air unit is worht the extra peso over the floor pedal hydraulic unit. I have a nice air compressor so, thats not issue. I have hear dmany say the air/hydraulic combo is a waste over the all hydraulic.

+1 on the HF lift. I have a couple of plywood platforms that sit along side so I can confidently ride the bike on and off the lift. The wheel chock at the front is useless but a couple of tie downs on the front forks and a securing strap around the center stand provides a rock solid platform for work.

It is a good, simple piece of gear.

Archived