IGNORED

Recommendations for a portable/handheld GPS

eddd

I'm looking for recommendations for a handheld GPS. This would be used primarily to provide a degree of safety when I'm in the back country out west exploring roads/trails on my dual sport or mountain bike. The birds and various rodents keep eating my bread crumbs. At other times I'm having so much fun I end up returning in the darkness and I can't see the bread crumbs.

Size matters. Ease of use matters. If the unit is flexible enough to be used for other uses, that would be a bonus, but I don't want to pay for a bunch of features I'll never/rarely use.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Look at the garmin nuvi 500/550 units. I forget which is which, but one has topo and road maps of the lower 48. the other has just road maps of US, Canada and AK. you can add maps to either.

They are marketed as multi purpose units. Larger battery; car, scooter, bicycle and walk modes. A great choice if you just want one, "do everything" unit. $250 or so.

on the other hand, my old emap is still going strong. It's really feeble for the car, but for hiking, etc. it's plenty fast enough and easy to use. You can find perfectly good units on ebay for $20 or so.

I use a now-ancient GPSMAP 76CS. It has the old North American Roadmaps on it, does gives good altitude readings. I think it's a bit slower than the newer handheld units. I replace a set of batteries (Li-Ion) about once a year.

I don't want to steal the thread,but I am also looking to buy a handheld,my first. Probably the Garmin 60csx.

Question,when you buy additional maps from Garmin,are they updated from time to time without additional cost ?

thx

You can buy one time updates or lifetime updates,but not sure if they work on the 60/70 series.

Any update you make to your original mapset will cost,unless you happen to buy within about 30 days of a new mapset coming out,then they ususally upgrade you for free.

JR356

You can buy one time updates or lifetime updates,but not sure if they work on the 60/70 series.

Any update you make to your original mapset will cost,unless you happen to buy within about 30 days of a new mapset coming out,then they ususally upgrade you for free.

JR356

JR356 thanks ,it's hard to fiqure out because the site wants you to connect your GPS for updates.

Steve

Hi Ed!

I picked up an eTrex Legend HCx for about $160US in August. The screen is smaller then the current models (Colorado & Oregon) but the technology is essentially the same. I went on a 4 day backpacking trip in Yosemite last fall and only needed 2 AA NiMH batteries running for 20 hrs total for complete elevation/track profile. PITA to buy maps but I usually use the GPS while hiking to coordinate with topo maps and accurate backtracking.

Also a good option on an off-road bike/motorcycle but the screen is too small to use to navigate while moving.

Mike Cassidy

The DeLorme PN series is great for backpacking, or any sort of off-road use, but not so great when it comes to roads. It comes with topographical software, which you can use to plan or look at where you've been. I've been using the PN-40 for about a year now for geocaching. I bought the motorcycle mount and have tried to used it with my Ulysses when I do some dirt roads. It's OK, but I still need the Garmin on the bike for real roads.

If you read any of the head-to-head comparisons with the Garmin hand-held products, you'll quickly realize it's a better handheld than they are, but again, I wouldn't recommend it for streets.

Currently I use a Garmin 60 CSX. (this is my second one as the first one was crash damaged).

The good:

1. Fast lock on speed when rebooted after initial start-up lock on.

2. Fairly intuitive for a small GPS.

3. Reasonably priced for a water proof unit. My Nuvi is easier to read but NOT waterproof.

4. I use it for hiking, camping, hunting, riding, you name it and it will lock on in dense tree cover.

5. Battery life is surprisingly long

The not so good.

1. The screen is smallish

2. Don't plan on using it much for car navigating, unless you have 20/10 vision.

3. It doesn't talk to you, so you may get lonely :rofl:

BTW, I understand that the Garmin Oregon, etc are nice, but hard to read in sunlight due to glare. You may wish to confirm or deny this if you're looking at them.

Archived