IGNORED

travel flasks!

KMG_365

I just ordered a few different sets of travel flasks from: http://www.easytravelerinc.com/ and I have to give the owner kudos.

I just flew to Florida for business and the whole dance with the TSA with the 1 quart "Freedom Baggies" and the no more than 3oz toiletries containers (or was it 3.4 oz? :dopeslap: ) dance was a PITA. :P

Well after paying $11.72 for ONE crappy cuba libre at the poolside bar . . . I was googling 3.4 oz flasks at the room later and found the Ministry of Rum site and a link to Rum Runner Flasks (also the maker of the http://www.easytravelerinc.com/ stuff). I noticed that they didn't have any 3.4 oz flasks, but they advertised the 3-1-1 TSA compliant carry on toiletries kit with 2.5 oz and 1.5 oz containers. So I click on the "Contact Us" link and send the site a friendly "WTF, over?" message and they require your name and phone and email in the fields. WTH, I think and I fill it in. This is late on a Friday evening (EST) and I'm getting on a plane on Saturday morning to head home and I don't really figure on hearing anything for a good while if at all. So we're sitting in the airport Saturday morning waiting for our flight to board and my cell phone rings. It's the owner of the site and he apologizes if he's called me too early (it's about 10:00 EST on a Saturday), but he just wanted to answer my questions in my email. Of last night???

So he explains that a 2.5 oz tube measures blah blah, and a 3.4 oz tube would be of this other certain larger dimension and that you would lose being able to fit four of those tubes in the 1qt baggie. With the smaller tubes you can fit more tubes in the baggie and carry a total of something like over 20+ oz of total product. Of course you can fill two (or more) 2.5 oz tubes and have more than 3.4 oz total and still have room for toothpaste, shampoo, etc.. He was VERY knowledgeable on the current TSA rules and regs, gave me some interesting history and spent a good deal of time answering all of my questions including some I hadn't thought of asking. I guess all the cruise going folks really sing this guy's praises for his speedy service (according to a few websites I found) and I'll let you know how long my order I just placed tonight takes to arrive.

I just thought they would make great flasks to pack while riding as well. They come in a wide variety of sizes, they fold flat or roll up when empty, weigh nothing and are food grade with leakproof caps.

I ordered a set of the 3-1-1 kits for carry-on air travel, one of the rum runner flask kits for riding (two 8oz and one 16 oz flask) and one of the tottle kits for my shaving kit at work and home shower. I like the idea of buying in bulk (cheaper and less packaging waste) and not having to deal with the big containers in a small bathroom or shaving kit. I'll post a review when I've used them a bit if I remember.

Just thought I'd pass along what seems like a good product from a decent domestic businessman who's working hard to provide stellar customer service.

Cheers!

Don't know, and don't really care, how you feel about Wally World but they sell a nice stainless flask for $3.99. Works great if the original booze container now made of plastic doesn't work for you. Happy boozing!

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Don't know, and don't really care, how you feel about Wally World but they sell a nice stainless flask for $3.99. Works great if the original booze container now made of plastic doesn't work for you. Happy boozing!

I'm pretty sure you didn't click the link. :wave:

Don't know, and don't really care, how you feel about Wally World but [ . . . ]
Well, it's probably good that you don't care, because IMNSHO Wally World is just about the Devil incarnate. I don't ever darken their door and I try to avoid all such companies who represent the downfall of our American way of life. :P

That's cool Jamie. I think I'll order some. I just signed up to do some consulting for my old company so will be flying some again. Thanks for the link.

Boney, you are correct. My bad.

In any case I sure as hell was NOT trying to goad anyone into a rant about Wally World. My intent was to offer a very low cost alternative to the typical flask search. Gheez! Take a deep breath dude.

11.72 for a drinky-poo? Couldn't you find a package store? Airlines and flying in our era a homeland safety I think precluded any flamable liquid...alcohol...!

If youse that much an alchyolic, check with the hotel staff and they may point you in the right driection.

I have a few stainless flasks for the job but they won't get passed the x-ray machines. Dang the bad luck!

A flammable liquid has a flash point of not more than 60.5ºC (141ºF). A combustible liquid has a flash point above 60.5ºC (141ºF) and below 93ºC (200ºF). This is why you (normally) can't light diesel fuel poured on the ground with a match (combustible) and why high proof spirits are preferred for flambéing (generally alcohol is flammable at room temp if over 50%/100 proof).

According to the TSA (though it is now 3.4 oz and this page has not been edited):

Travelers may now carry through security checkpoints travel-size toiletries (3 ounces or less) that fit comfortably in ONE, QUART-SIZE, clear plastic, zip-top bag. Wine and other beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

With the exception of medications, any amount of liquid including alcohol greater than three ounces must be packed in your checked baggage.

Liquids, including alcohol purchased after clearing the security checkpoint are permitted aboard aircraft.

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations.

So as long as I'm not packing that 80 proof Stroh Rum (aka rocket fuel) I'm good with the Cruzan Single Barrel or the Captain Morgan. :Wink:

Just toss a 2.5oz'er in the carry on (or two for those long flights :grin: ) and an 8oz flask stowed in the checked bag should get me through a whole five day training. :Wink:

When I talked to the owner yesterday he mentioned that drink prices on board aircraft were going to $9.00 next month. Also, I got an email this evening (Sunday) that my order had already shipped!

Your order for your 3-1-1 Totally Compliant Carry-on Kit, Tottle Bath Kit and Rum Runner Flask Kit has been shipped USPS Priority. I anticipate that it should arrive no later than three business days from today.

We appreciate your business and always offer to all of our established customers a 15% discount on all future orders. To receive your discount, just enter the discount code repeatcustomer and click on apply after selecting shipping when you order online at: www.rumrunnerflasks.com or www.easytravelerinc.com and 15% of the total purchase price will be deducted! The 3-1-1 Totally Compliant Carry-on Kit makes a great employee appreciation gift for those employees that have to travel regularly. Travel Pak Kits make the ideal gift for those family members and friends that are always on the go.

We welcome any questions, comments or suggestions about our products or service, should you have any please give me a call at anytime at 800-318-9443 or email me at jdesmond@easytravelerinc.com.

Sincerely,

Jim Desmond

That's cool Jamie. I think I'll order some. I just signed up to do some consulting for my old company so will be flying some again. Thanks for the link.
Hi John,

Just trying to repay the favor for the "Black Box" wine you turned me on to (and the stainless wine glass! :grin: ). I've found the Black Box stuff at an Albertsons not too far from my house and the Cabernet and Shiraz are really quite good for the price! I don't have the courage to pack the bag liner without the protective box, so I bought the larger Rum Runner Flasks to pack some on the bike. I don't think a really good wine would survive the decanting into the flask (aerating) and the desert/bike heat for a longer summer trip. Though with the Black Box or Two Buck Chuck, you might not notice. :Wink:

The collapsible flask allows you to squeeze all the air out before you seal it up too, which might buy you a bit more time.

If the intention is to drink any alcohol that you you brought while on the plane that is against most airline rules. I guess it it like bringing beer to the ball park and I don't know if it is an FAA rule though but technically if you don't follow flight crew instructions after they call you on it you could be subject to other problems.

Just another reason why flying business class is so much better.....

Well, it's probably good that you don't care, because IMNSHO Wally World is just about the Devil incarnate. I don't ever darken their door and I try to avoid all such companies who represent the downfall of our American way of life. :P

Dude I knew there was a reason I liked you! F*** Wallyworld! Hey as to the black box, are you talking the "Killer Juice" cab, or the Orgins stuff? The Killer Juice is pretty damn good for a 3l box at 20 or so bucks.

Chuck U Farley

RIGHT ON Brother!!!!

I ordered the 3 pack of 8 oz bottles. I always pick a motel near a restaurant soooo I can have a nip of Macallams before dinner. Never touch a drop while riding. thanks for the info.

elmer

Archived