IGNORED

I cut up a Conti-Road Attack today

skinny_tom (aka boney)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I was swapping a worn out tire for a take-off that didn't have enough life in it to make a trip. Yesterday I went for a spin, and in my pre-ride inspection I gave close look to the tire, which I knew was on it's last legs. The threads never came through, but let me tell you, it was close. I have proof below.

This is the tread pattern where the Tread Wear Indicator is (was.)

778810862_wA2vj-L.jpg

Let it be known, that if you go beyond the TWI on these tires, you're pushing it.

Very close inspection revealed micro tears in the rubber where it was beginning to come apart. When I pushed on the center of the tire, even while inflated, I could tell it was getting very thin.

This is the cross section of the tread about half way to the side wall. This tire saw one long trip and a whole bunch of commuting, so there's really not a lot of rubber missing here.

778811453_6Me9c-L.jpg

The bead is pretty hefty. No wonder they're a pain in the arse to mount.

778811607_nbuk3-L.jpg

Now that I have a closer look, I think you'll get steel before nylon.

778811246_KcNFa-L-1.jpg

Good post, I always like seeing the cross section of a worn out tire. I tried the Road Attacks for the first time last year. It was a very slow riding season so I haven't put many miles on them but I like the feel and ride so far.

How many miles are on that tire Boney?

Tire Wear Indicator - "Those nylon cords that you see which tell you to that the tire needs to be replaced."

Good informative picture though, especially the last.

Archived