IGNORED

Any good RT system case options?

Free Radical

Is anyone aware of a good option to RT system cases?

I lost my right side case, and am now faced with a replacement cost of ~$500. OUCH!

To date I haven't seen saddlebags used on an RT, and frankly can't imagine any good alternative to the system cases.

BUT, I thought I'd ask!

Thanks!

Many thanks for the beemer boneyard suggestion. What a great resource. I didn't find a case currently available, but I did send them an e-mail specifying the part I need.

I previously checked on ebay and couldn't find a thing.

Thanks again.

The K bike cases are similar enough that I had to check my left side case, but they're not a match. Thanks, though. That would have been a heckuva deal.

Jim

Did yours just fall off along the road somewhere? I have always assumed that as long as my cases are secured properly in place, then there is no way they can just fall or blow off unless I crash them into something. Maybe I should tape my name and number somewhere on the outside of each one.

Jay

Did yours just fall off along the road somewhere? I have always assumed that as long as my cases are secured properly in place, then there is no way they can just fall or blow off unless I crash them into something. Maybe I should tape my name and number somewhere on the outside of each one.

Jay

I think the BMW cases are very sesitive to being on the brackets all the way. I have personally had to dodge one from falling off a rider in front of me. I have also caught myself having them on but not all the way. I do a double check every time I take them on or off since that time I saw one become a flying projectile.

Agreed, my right one fell off close to home because it was not fully seated on the mount, it was up slightly which allowed the handle to be closed as if latched but it wasn't. I usually double check the bags before I drive off, but not that tiem. Fortunately for me I had something bungied to the case and it merrily bounced along beside me so I noticed. Scratches aren't pretty but not as bad as having to buy a replacement.

Mine was not properly seated. I wasn't aware that it dislodged at the time it happened, but I do remember hearing a sound when I was accelerating on an interstate.

This was actually the second time this occurred. The first time I was fortunate enough to observe the case in my rear view mirror, receding into the distance.

Double checking the cases prior to taking off is imperative.

Jay

I had a BMW Vario case come off a GS rental bike on the Blue Ridge. Actually, Sharon was riding the GS at the exact time, but it had my luggage in it. Come to find out this is a common issue with those, where the mounting pin on the bike comes loose. But you are right, I'd have never conceived of losing a side case on an RT.

What model RT, 1200, 1100/1150 or old airhead RT? It would help if you'd fill out your profle a little, it helps with the communication. Unfortunately, if it is a newer model RT, I have never heard of aftermarket side cases. Best bet would be a motorcycle junk yard or beemerboneyard. Even if it has been scratched badly, you could get one re-painted.

Archived