IGNORED

RAM GPS Mount Question

Don M

I'm thinking about getting a RAM Mount for my Garmin Nuvi 550 and am wondering what sort of experience folks have had with the RAM mount that replaces the cap on the brake or clutch hydraulic reservoir? Is it a good fit? Any problems with leaking or cracking?

Paul In Australia

I use that one for my" Spot". Rock solid, good fit, no leak, easy to fit, no vibration. Have a mate who mounts his Zumo there. Works perfectly.

regards

Paul

I'm thinking about getting a RAM Mount for my Garmin Nuvi 550 and am wondering what sort of experience folks have had with the RAM mount that replaces the cap on the brake or clutch hydraulic reservoir? Is it a good fit? Any problems with leaking or cracking?

Not sure what bike you have, but the RAM mounts I've had have all been excellent, and many use the one about which you ask.

However, I use a regular handlebar mount, that sort of "U" bolt one,on the right side of my R1200RT. The mount is right up against the grip housing. There is not a lot of room, but it does fit. I have a medium arm, then my MP3 player is mounted on it.

I mention the regular handlebar mount because many think it will not fit.....but it does. I had a couple laying around and decided to try. :Cool:

2702300970061932057S425x425Q85.jpg

Many good reports on that sort of thing. I personally prefer a RAM mount affixed to the handlebar mount base.

Several reasons:

Less costly.

Does not disturb a relatively important piece of the bike.

Does not place the GPS in the center of my field of view- thus less safe.

etc.

I've got the reservoir mount for my Zumo550. I had to also buy a longer arm (3") to get it out of the way of my mirror view and tank bag. So far, so good.

---

Thanks for the input. As usual this is a great resource and an outstanding group of folks. I built a very simple accessory shelf for my 04 RT that works great for my radar mount but because it is attached to the plastic dash it flexes some and I wanted a bit more stability for the GPS. Sounds like the reservoir cap mount will be the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the reservoir mount, and yes, it's solid. However, another rider pointed out that any tipover could very easily yank or break the reservoir cover right off. Stranded.

Archived