IGNORED

Is anyone using this............

Swag

:thumbsup:

Have the first generation unit and its worked well.

Family and friends like being able to track my travels.

It's an extra safety measure too.

There are a few problems with the new units and battery life.

There is currently a big recall in effect,but this is all supposed to be fixed in the next few weeks and units back on dealer shelves.

JR356

malcolmblalock

I use mine fairly regularly since I usually ride alone and sometimes are gone for extended periods. Does a good job of tracking where I am, although it must lay flat with the "SPOT" up and with an unobstructed view of the sky. Cloud cover seems to block some "discussion" between the unit and the satellites. But very handy for family to know where I am and to send a "I'm okay" message at night when I finish riding for the day. Recently used it snowmobiling in Yellowstone area and enjoyed seeing exactly where I was in all the snow!

I use mine fairly regularly since I usually ride alone and sometimes are gone for extended periods. Does a good job of tracking where I am, although it must lay flat with the "SPOT" up and with an unobstructed view of the sky. Cloud cover seems to block some "discussion" between the unit and the satellites. But very handy for family to know where I am and to send a "I'm okay" message at night when I finish riding for the day. Recently used it snowmobiling in Yellowstone area and enjoyed seeing exactly where I was in all the snow!

Thanks for the info.

Here's a ride report we did with ours

http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view?trip_id=169094

Thanks jfrmder, great report. How hard is the SPOT to use, I'm not real good with computers and I'm a little worried I might have problems using it. I would appreciate any insight you can give me.

Thanks,

Bob

It's not difficult, but not really intuitive either. I played with it for a bit before the first trip to understand what the flahy lights were saying. It is sensitive to positioning. For the trip, we just left it bungied on top of the bag on top of the top case, but later found it also worked fine in the top case as long as it was oriented properly with nothing above it but plastic.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I've used the spot extensively. IMO, it is useless without tracking. Here's why:

If you take a spill and cannot reach it, or cannot push the button, it will still try to send out your location. Additionally, in the event that it cannot get a signal out at it's final resting place, there will be a general history from past tracking point of where to start looking.

Other fantastic features:

Push the Okay button in the morning and evening and SWMBO know's you're okay- regardless of where you are.

Keep in mind that the entire system works on GPS and satellite communications. Obviously there are sometimes factors that play against proper communication. The SPOT 1 only sent out one tracking signal "beacon" while the Spot 2 sends the last two tracking locations with the latest. However, Spot 2 is under recall right now, so if you must decide whether to get the older one or wait for the new one. DO NOT BUY A SPOT 2 RIGHT NOW.

Couple it was the http://www.jasonjonas.org/spot site and you've got a handy tool for sharing your trip, storing past trips, and ease of use (the findmespot trips pages are clunky if you ask me.)

Here's a couple of examples:

British Columibia

Death Valley

You will need to play with it a while to get a full understanding of it's abilities and limitations. One thing that is useful is to have it text your phone when the okay message goes through, then you know if it's working properly.

Archived