IGNORED

Best "on the fly" internet access?

KTsRidin

Okay, so I know this gets asked all the time, but things keep changing, so I'm going to see what's new/changed...

Here's what I'm looking for. I need a way to be able to access the internet while on the road without having to search for a WiFi Hotspot. Why, I plan on doing searches mainly and some email. So, I don't think the data load will be all that much. The MOST important thing for me is coverage and quick ease of use (planning on using during the Iron Butt 5k).

Although some inquiries could be done via a smart phone, I know I'll also want to hook-up my laptop.

A.right all you computer/wireless gurus, what's your advice?

Thanks,

Kirsten

I suggest a smart phone with Verizon access... which probably means a Droid/Verizon.

iPhone with ATT is good, but does not have the coverage area that Verizon does.

If you really need the laptop- you are going to have to find a hot spot. Either of the two phones mentioned can have hot spot locating apps that are free. This will tell you if a hot spot is near where you are. But- just because there is a hot spot it does not mean you can use it. Most are password protected- some are not. I have recently heard the McDonald chain is going to free WiFi now- as opposed to the previous paid access... this ought to make it a lot easier.

One of These types of cards/USB's may be of help. These are for Verizon. I'm sure others have similar products.

USB modem is what I use exclusively for all my internet access. The coverage is really remarkable considering some of the places I've been out west. When I first got it I decide to see how good the coverage was so I logged onto XM online at home and drove 350 miles to Houston listening to music through my laptop. I never lost my internet connection.

Mifi 2200 from Verizon. Let's you have your own hotspot wherever Verizon has cellular coverage. It's small, convenient, and works with any device that supports wifi. You can even share the connection with others if you like.

I have a Verizon Droid, and that works for me when on the road. I use the hotel wifi for everything else. If I didn't have the droid, I would have on of these Mifi's for sure.

Prior to the droid, I used a USB tether on my earlier phones. That works well too.

Usage amounts?

Verizon has a couple of plans from 75mb/day, 250mb/month, 500mb/month, all the way to just over 5,000mb/month.

Anyone have an idea of how much they use for the type of access they utilize?

Thanks!

On Verizon's site they tell you how many typical webpages each #MB is...I used a USB modem for my home internet access exclusively for almost a year....never maxed out. It works in the car traveling across country too, at least in the west.

Check Apple's new iPad due in March it'll do what you want. And if needed there will be a 3G version if you're concerned about no access to WiFi hotspots.

Right now I use my iPhone with ATT svc and have no issues for web access. Don't Believe the adds from Verizon, they are just what they are....clever advertising.

With Verizon, if you are surfing the web....you will not reveive phone calls, they go direct to V/M; With ATT you can do both at the same time.

I suppose the ideal version is an internet enabled phone that can be tethered to your computer (so an additional card or your pc is not needed).

I have not found it necessary to tether my phone to my pc because when I stop long enough to unpack the computer, there is usually free WiFi around nearby.

What I carry on the bike is an ASUS H1005 netbook picked for long battery life and light weight. It has the BMW REPROM service manual and the GS-911 software on it. The pc case holds the GS-911, an Apple wireless N so I can go wireless where internet acces is by ethernet, USB charger cord for phone, etc. Phone is an IPhone 3GS not hacked for tethering. The phone is bluetoothed into my helmet through a Zumo 550 and can also be charged from the bike though I usually do it off the computer at night. Variations on this theme are possible when camping; these days I mostly opt for a motel.

Internet access on pc through a 3G network means a card or tethered phone. This would be most useful where one expects no WiFi at night stops- eg some camping locations, etc..But at least in the east, free WiFi is easy to find.A quick run through most shopping centers turns up a free WiFi if nothing else works and you mkust have that pc on the web.

My spouse just spent a week in Halifax NS with lousy wirelss possibilities compared to US places she goes. She used a card but comms by e-mail etc were pretty lousy for delivery times. Not sure why..

I've had both Sprint and Verizon USB Cellular Modems......No competition, Verizon wins the coverage battle hands down.....

If you use your phone as a modem, you can not talk and use the modem at the same time. Might not be important for some, but if you are trying to search for info or access a web site while on the phone...no can do.

When I was gainfully employed I had an unlimited access plan as I was using the laptop remotely almost every day, and uploading and downloading some large files.

Now I'm on unintended vacation so I cut my plan to 250mb a month. I knock up against it every month and I'm only using the laptop on the modem sporadically.

I'm not completely sure how this whole mb thing works, but I think if someone sends you an email with a large file attached, it gets downloaded into your browser whether you open the emails attachment or not. Using up valuable MBs. If someone knows for sure, please chime in. Verizon is useless in helping me to maximize my usage.

But if I was on a motorcycle tour of a couple weeks duration, I think I'd reach the 250mb easily, and then its $.10 a mb which can get expensive in a hurry.

$39.99 for 250mb

$59.95 for 5gb

$20 more per month for 20X more megabytes!

I'll change my plan in a coupler months when the riding season starts up again......

Most of the above replies assume wireless digital access. In most cases, it wil work.

If you travel in some out-of-the-beaten-path hills (W.Va comes to mind, as well as anything north and east of St. Lawrence River/Gulf), you may have to rely on dialup.

For past few years, used www.MyTravelAccess.com for prepaid modem-based dial-up in Europe and in Canada. Worked OK.

That's one of the options.

My setup changes from year to year, but currently I gave up on dial-up and instead I do rely on Wi-Fi for my netbook in hotels and B&B's (I make sure to book accordingly). Otherwise, I use Internet Cafes and Calling Centers in S. America and Europe (accessing my email from their computers).

Interestingly, Internet Cafes are almost unknown stateside - even though our Wi-Fi and wireless coverage is worse that most in First- and Second-World countries. We are better than Third-World though, in case anyone counts.

All good ideas that have got me thinking.... not least of which is when/where would I be taking the time to pull out the laptop and use it extensively on-line that couldn't be done via smartphone... that is, of course, if there's digital access. For cell phones, I've tried to keep an analog/digital model for some of the more remote areas that are still only analog, but I'm finding getting new ones difficult.

So, I'm leaning toward getting a smartphone (?Driod?) that can be used quickly on the fly and then tethered if I do bring out the laptop where there's no WiFi.

I want to get the set-up, what ever it is, working so I have time to practice before showtime in August. Of course, I'm already trying to do things to hone skills without all the techie stuff.

If anyone has further insights, they are more than welcome - thanks!

A question for those who use internet tethered phones.

Is there a pc-card that can be carried on the same account (same provider) as a tethered phone so you have the option of using the phone or the card to get internet access for the pc? Or is everything still "charge by the device"?

If "one account" is possible I'd want to carry a netbook with a card if I wanted to use the pc in places where WiFi isn't handy. Avoids having to fire up the phone also (more failure risk, nee two charged devices) and the ASUS 6 cell netbooks have ridiculously long battery life- like 8 hrs real world use for mine (maker claims 9 if you're carefully conserve and I believe that). Ony"pc" I've ever owned where I know I can carry it with me all day without worrying about battery life- and I've owned a bunch.

I have one Verizon account with two phones and a usb broadband card. Card is like another phone and even has it's own phone number for some reason. Price for broadband is $59 with a package account. It would be $79 without. I use my broadband card at home because I live in the sticks. Just lucky to be in a sweet spot for reception. I have gone over my data limit several times by as little as 10 to 15 percent and my bill tripled! Usually I blame a month of too much Youtube combined with some huge Microsoft automatic updates. Verizon ALWAYS gets their money so if you try to use a phone as a modem, they have software installed to block it from working. You MUST PAY US for everything meaning you will pay for data access like a smart phone does to use it on a tether. As a side they stuff a huge amount of software in to block you from loading your own ringtones and music as well. But they have the best reception for me.

Fightingpiper

I have a verizon Env Touch phone. Not to impressed with the phone but I was able to easily unlock it so I could tether it and use as a modem. I have the unlimited data package and haven't been slapped on the wrist from verizon for too much usage for a phone.

I have a verizon Env Touch phone. Not to impressed with the phone but I was able to easily unlock it so I could tether it and use as a modem. I have the unlimited data package and haven't been slapped on the wrist from verizon for too much usage for a phone.

I got in when the Verizon wireless internet plans were "Unlimited". I used it just like it was unlimited. A couple of months ago I complained about the drop off in speed. I was told I went over the limit, 5GB. When I pointed out I was on an unlimited plan I was told that if I go over their limit, I'll still have access, but at a reduced speed. I was also told that if I continue to go over, they might drop me.

So I guess my plan is a "Limited Unlimited - We'll Change This Whenever It Is To Our Advantage Plan".

I got in when the Verizon wireless internet plans were "Unlimited". I used it just like it was unlimited. A couple of months ago I complained about the drop off in speed. I was told I went over the limit, 5GB. When I pointed out I was on an unlimited plan I was told that if I go over their limit, I'll still have access, but at a reduced speed. I was also told that if I continue to go over, they might drop me.

So I guess my plan is a "Limited Unlimited - We'll Change This Whenever It Is To Our Advantage Plan".

One of my MANY complaints about Verizon. AT&T is by no means perfect, but they've been much less likely to pull that crap than Verizon. Add that to the intentional crippling of their devices (bluetooth etc) and I just really don't want to be their customer.
One of my MANY complaints about Verizon. AT&T is by no means perfect, but they've been much less likely to pull that crap than Verizon. Add that to the intentional crippling of their devices (bluetooth etc) and I just really don't want to be their customer.

From AT&T's Wireless Data Service Terms and Conditions, re PDA/Blackberry data: "If you are on a data plan that does not include a monthly megabyte allowance and additional data usage rates, the parties agree that AT&T has the right to impose additional charges if you use more than 5 gigabytes in a month. Prior to the imposition of any additional charges, AT&T shall provide you with notice and you shall have the right to terminate your service." This same clause appears in their DataConnect (PC card) TOS.

AFAIK, Sprint is the only carrier where unlimited truly means unlimited. All other carriers have some sort of 5MB cap whether it's fees, speed crippling or outright disconnection.

I agree with you about the crippled firmware Verizon puts in their phones. The only reason I considered a Droid is that they explicitly stated that there would be no changes to the firmware from the stock Android OS.

I have a palm on verizon with winmobile OS and have never been charged for internet usage (other than the $29 for the plan). I usually burn about 1gig a month. One thing to keep in mind about tethering is you would think you would also be using the phone battery. I can kill my palms battery pretty quick if I am watching videos and if it is plugged in and being charged with heavy usage sometimes the battery overheats and stops charging. I would also recommend an aftermarket browser at least for winmobile phones. Skyfire works nice, opera is slow and IExplorer is linited. You can get software to tether and verizon won't even know it.

More great feedback... I'm leaning toward HTC Droid Eris with Verizon, but have heard that the next gen HTC is on the way. It has a hard keyboard so I may just hold off until that releases. Then, either I go with the 'new hotness' or I get a great deal on an Eris... or, I continue to look at additional options. Geez, but I'm having more trouble making a decision on this than I should. You all's feedback really helps.

I have had a Droid since November. It's amazing. You can try it and if you don't like it (or the Eris) you can exchange it within the first 30 days. The Droid does everything.

Believe the adds from Verizon. They are accurate and conducted by a third party to obtain objective data. The adds do not say that Verizon has five times more coverage, they say that Verizon has five times more 3G coverage. You can use an AT&T mobile device almost anywhere in the nation and have access to the internet. The only difference is, with Verizon, you are five times more likely to access the internet with 3G speeds than you are using AT&T. Although, most people can't tell the difference between 2G and 3G. So if the tech specs don't matter to you, go with which ever service provider has the device you like the most.

On a similar topic, does anyone know if you can tether a LG Env3. I got this pohone for my wife and have the "unlimted" data plan. It would be nice to get a netbook or small laptop to use when traveling. Accessing the internet on the small screen it has is pretty limiting.

Unrelated... can you get external DVD players for netbooks to use them as a portable DVD player... or would it be cheaper to get a small notebook instead?

Believe the adds from Verizon. They are accurate and conducted by a third party to obtain objective data. The adds do not say that Verizon has five times more coverage, they say that Verizon has five times more 3G coverage. You can use an AT&T mobile device almost anywhere in the nation and have access to the internet. The only difference is, with Verizon, you are five times more likely to access the internet with 3G speeds than you are using AT&T. Although, most people can't tell the difference between 2G and 3G. So if the tech specs don't matter to you, go with which ever service provider has the device you like the most.

But how does overall coverage compare. I still get the impression that AT&T has more "Gaps" in service in rural areas compared to Verizon. That matters to me, since I find myself often traveling on rural roads... ad I'd like to avoid walking for miles to get cell service if I'm stranded.

But how does overall coverage compare. I still get the impression that AT&T has more "Gaps" in service in rural areas compared to Verizon. That matters to me, since I find myself often traveling on rural roads... ad I'd like to avoid walking for miles to get cell service if I'm stranded.

It depends. Many folks report great coverage in their area with AT&T. My experience with AT&T coverage wise was very dismal. I left Verizon to go to an iphone. I could no longer receive or make calls from my home reliably. That's home in the middle of the Portland, OR metro area. AT&T suggested I try a different phone, same thing. There are many rural areas with great Verizon coverage where AT&T is non existent. I'm back on Verizon with and Android, and for the places I go, the coverage is dramatically better.

It depends. Many folks report great coverage in their area with AT&T. My experience with AT&T coverage wise was very dismal. I left Verizon to go to an iphone. I could no longer receive or make calls from my home reliably. That's home in the middle of the Portland, OR metro area. AT&T suggested I try a different phone, same thing. There are many rural areas with great Verizon coverage where AT&T is non existent. I'm back on Verizon with and Android, and for the places I go, the coverage is dramatically better.

That was my wife's experience with Sprint. It worked great in San Diego, a large market with full coverage. When she moved to SE Iowa, the phone was a shiney paperweight most of the time. Customer service was lousy however with Sprint, no matter where she lived. I compare Sprint to AT&T because both are focused on large metro markets where most of the subscribers live and where a small investment in infrastructure can yield a higher return for most users. Or at least, that what I believe is their rationale.

Although in your case, you live in a major metro area... os who knows. Maybe AT&T doesn't like folks that live in Portland or you jsut happne ot live in a dead spot in their limited tower network.

I use a Blackberry and Verizon and seem to be able to grab most any information I want while on the road. On recent road trips through the Oregon "Outback", northern Nevada, Utah and Idaho I was getting coverage in areas that I would never expect to recieve cell service.

If you have a windows mobile phone, this is the thing to have

http://www.wmwifirouter.com/

If you have verizon, you will need to add Internet connection sharing, but that's easily found on the internet.

I use this with my sprint phone in combination with a Samsung netbook. Runs your phone as a wifi hot spot without having to purchase a data plan. If you don't want to use wifi it will tether using a bluetooth PAN (less power, phone lasts longer). I plug the phone in with a power only USB cable and with the 6 cell battery in the Samsung I have at least 6 hours of Internet access without needed a charge (I camp usually, no readily available power). I can also charge my phone on the bike of course and will charge the laptop here and there as I can.

Works great. Wish Sprint had better countryside service, but I get a terrific deal through work with sprint and Verizon would be a lot more for me.

I've had really good luck with the i-Phone from AT&T. I've used it in some places where I couldn't get the 3G coverage and still was able to access E-Mail and surf the Web. Also like the ability to talk while doing other things also.

trailbuster530

Feb 19, 2008, cell phone carriers, including AT&T, Alltel and Verizon Wireless, turned of their analog networks. Other mobile carriers including Sprint Nextel and T-Mobil did not have analog networks so there was no need to switch.

So there is no need to worry about analog vs digital. You need to worry about 3G vs 1x. 1x will give you slower data responses where 3G is much faster. I can still browse the web on 1x using my Smart phone but with slower response times than while on the 3G network.

Okay, so I know this gets asked all the time, but things keep changing, so I'm going to see what's new/changed...

Here's what I'm looking for. I need a way to be able to access the internet while on the road without having to search for a WiFi Hotspot. Why, I plan on doing searches mainly and some email. So, I don't think the data load will be all that much. The MOST important thing for me is coverage and quick ease of use (planning on using during the Iron Butt 5k).

Although some inquiries could be done via a smart phone, I know I'll also want to hook-up my laptop.

A.right all you computer/wireless gurus, what's your advice?

Thanks,

Kirsten

Kirsten--

I have an iPhone (on the AT&T network, of course). I love the iPhone, but, as much as it pains me to say this, AT&T's coverage in rural areas and smaller cities sometimes sucks--it can be spotty, fade in and out, or may even be nonexistent. I don't think there's any better smartphone on the market than the iPhone and I need the international coverage that is nonexistent in most Verizon devices, but if you need reliable coverage in the continental U.S., particularly if you're looking toward an Iron Butt 5K, stay away from AT&T and go with Verizon.

Having said that, a good rule of thumb is that you should never count on a cell phone to be 100% reliable. Even when I was with Verizon, I sometimes encountered inexplicable gaps in coverage. However, AT&T is worse.

If you're going to use a broadband modem card for a laptop, the same concepts apply--AT&T's network is just not as robust in less populated areas.

twowheelsonly

I haven't read this whole post but you could consider getting a prepaid phone for minimal costs as your emergency phone while you are riding in areas if not covered by your current provider, also if you have AT&T internet you can access high speed internet at any Starbucks in the US and Canada for free, also most hotels offer wifi for free and you can usually find one that is unsecured to connect to the internet..

Archived