IGNORED

Apple/Garmin.

Marty Hill

Hopefully someone will chime in that has actually used the Garmin MAC version. I've hear less than stellar reports. Some MACs have a PC emulator that will run Mapsource but slowly.

I have not had experience with Garmin on Macs. However, I am a longtime mac user.

The newer mac laptops (commonly referred to as macbooks rather than powerbooks)are ALL equipped with intel chips. Allowing them to run windows OS natively.

Previous to the macbook, the only way to run windowsOS on a mac was to use an emulator. On occasion, I do that because I haven't had the need to upgrade my older G4 powerbook yet.

i am very much interested in hearing from other mac users that use the garmin software.

I use the Garmin software on my Intel MacBook, no real issues but I only use it for the basic stuff anyway.

As with all Mac Apps, they work differently from PC based grunge, and it takes a little getting used to, but worth it in the end,

The Mac version of Mapsource is called Road Trip. I loaded it on my older MacBook... It works, looks nice, but my old Mac does not handle it well- too little memory and too slow. But in a pinch I could use it.

For more up to date info- check zumoforums.com

MAC is the only way to go.

And when the iPad comes out in March, it'll make a great travel companion.

Except that the iPad will run neither RoadTrip nor MapSource, since it runs the iPhone OS rather than Mac OS X. I really had hopes the iPad would serve as a Mac OS X netbook, but no such luck. And I sure wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Garmin to port RoadTrip to the iPad/iPhone.

Why are so many people jazzed about Mapsource?

MapSource lets you plot out routes on the large screen of your computer and then download them to your GPS for later use. This can be very useful when planning a moto trip.

Marty...I run Garmin's Road Trip on my new I-Mac. At first, being a long-time user of Mapsource on my old Dell computer, I thought Road Trip was not as useful. Now, having had some experience, I think that they are about equal. Bill Walker is right.

About to buy a new laptop. Is garmin supported on Apple?

TIA.

Her's what I know. When my buddy needs to update his software for his Garmin marine GPS, he has to come to my house to use my pc. Can't do whatever on his apple. That's all I know.

Having said that, when my pc crashes, I'm getting an apple. I have lot's of pc friends :grin:

Hopefully someone will chime in that has actually used the Garmin MAC version. I've hear less than stellar reports. Some MACs have a PC emulator that will run Mapsource but slowly.

I have both RoadTrip installed on Mac OS X and MapSource installed on Windows. RoadTrip works fine, there are things that do seem to take it a wee bit longer than RoadTrip and one of the things I like doing, such as printing out the route, isn't supported on the Mac OS X version, but overall it's pretty much equivalent these days.

As far as updating your unit via firmware, that works fine with the Zumo and Quest (I & II) units I own. Marine units and others may not be supported, but so far I haven't had any issues.

My DeLorme requires Windows, so I use VMware's emulation software which runs Windows at nearly identical speeds as a standard PC (actually my quad Mac is faster than my real Dell dual-core laptop in running windows applications). I have also found for updates, if I use Windows to download the update, then I can use the Mac conversion software Garmin provides to convert the maps to their Mac equivalents.

Overall, the Mac software has come a long way, but there are still a few minor things such as the route printing that irks me.

Wayne

I have been using my Zumo 550 and a MacBook Pro connected by a USB cable for 20 months or so. When I first got the 550, you couldn't actually install maps with the Mac OSX, but now, it's a piece of cake. In fact, I purchased the newest map set a few weeks ago, and updated my 550 with the Mac.

The POI and RoadTrip software work fine, but they aren't quite as intuitive as most Mac programs, so you have to practice with them. But I'm used to it.

Use ZumoForums to answer any of your basic questions. They have a full-on Mac section, and any time I've had an issue, I've quickly received help or answers. It's actually the forum I read the most (right after this site and one other BMW site) for any of my motorcycle issues.

Her's what I know. When my buddy needs to update his software for his Garmin marine GPS, he has to come to my house to use my pc. Can't do whatever on his apple. That's all I know.

Having said that, when my pc crashes, I'm getting an apple. I have lot's of pc friends :grin:

The Zumo series seems to be very well supported on the Mac, and I have no idea of what's the level of support for other Garmin products.

I've been an Apple zombie for 25 years or so. I gave up on the Mac sometime in the mid-90's, but I got so sick of PC's and their limitations. When Steve Jobs came back, I've never looked back. The only time I use Windows is on Parallels, and that's maybe once a month. I crack up when I boot up Windows, I have to wait for what seems to be an hour downloading and installing dozens of security fixes.

I literally go a month between restarting my Mac, it hasn't crashed in maybe 2 years.

I've got a current MacBook. Its my first Mac and is rapidly replacing all of my pc's (laptops and desktop) as my favorite for office type uses at home. Way faster than any Vista based pc I've used, superb screen and the best keyboard in the business. But its not what I carry on my bike. Got no use for a disc drive when I'm traveling and it won't run the GS-911 for the RT, just in case.

The MacBook is too big and too expensive to risk on the bike anyway.

If you want pc type internet access and GS-911 capability (plus ability to store the BMW REPROM for service info), I suggest carrying a netbook. Mine is an ASUS H1005HA 6 cell version about 8 months old. ASUS invented netbooks. 10" diag, 9" horiz wide screen, about a 90% size keyboard. Runs 8 real world hours unplugged (maker says 9 if you conserve), runs the GS-911, carries the REPROM on its 160 GB drive, serves as a power source for overnight USB charging if you wish etc. Anything you can do with the usual laptop except for the DVD drive.

I own an IPhone 3GS that I'd rather not use for internet stuff due to its small screen and the slow AT&T network. Instead, I rely on WiFi for the pc with no problems in the east. If necessary I could add a card to the netbook or switch to a tetherable phone if I needed 3G access for the pc. And the netbook obviously works fine with the Garmin. You can get it with XP (my choice), Windows 7 (way to early to tell if the latest Microsoft junk is any good, IMO) or free Unix. I use Open Office (free) as the office package on it and other free software but do have a paid copy of of Uniblue Registry Booster on it. One can't own a windows-based pc without a registry cleaner or it eventually turns to crap no matter how good your AV/spyware stuff and safe computing habits are. (IMO, the best argument for owning a Mac is the perpetual poor performance of Microsoft based machines in typical uses unless the owner takes the time to do what Microsoft won't which is provide ALL the tools needed to keep the OS running well or simply design a much more modern and robust OS. I am so tired of this crap that I've made it a goal to pay Microsoft as little as possible for the rest of my life)

If for some reason you think you need 1080 streaming on a netbook (why with such a small screen?) there will soon be versions with faster on board video.

The netbook serves as a skype or other VOIP phone "as is" using its speaker and camera. Getting WiFi access is more likely in lots of western NC than an AT&T cell phone or 3G signal and I often take a USB wireless headset with it so I can talk handsfree. (The ATT&T network often blocks access when you're getting 5 bar hits from multiple towers when on NC peaks, also making many rest stops on the BRP worthless for phone calls despite the strong signals)

For simple web access speed, basic computing tasks, and even startup/shutdown the XP netbook plays level with the MacBook as far as a human can tell. Both are wireless N and I often throw an Apple mini wireless N router in with the netbook so I can go fully wireless where the internet access is ethernet (still many older hotels).

I've got a current MacBook. ... it won't run the GS-911 for the RT, just in case.

I don't carry my MacBook on the bike, either, but technically it WILL run the GS-911 software. You'll have to install a copy of Windows to do it, of course. You can set up as dual-boot using Apple's Bootcamp, or use virtualization software such as Parallels or VMware Fusion (my choice). Of course, it's just about cheaper to buy a Netbook than to buy a retail copy of Windows.

one of the things I like doing, such as printing out the route, isn't supported on the Mac OS X version...

Overall, the Mac software has come a long way, but there are still a few minor things such as the route printing that irks me.

Wayne

Have you tried BaseCamp? The latest version (2.1.1) is a complete superset of all Roadtrip functionality, at least as far as I can tell, and includes features such as printing maps, routes etc.

It looks to me as though Garmin has "parked" Roadtrip and is now just extending Basecamp as the main Mac app.

one of the things I like doing, such as printing out the route, isn't supported on the Mac OS X version...

Wayne

Have you tried BaseCamp? The latest version (2.1.1) is a complete superset of all Roadtrip functionality, at least as far as I can tell, and includes features such as printing maps, routes etc.

It looks to me as though Garmin has "parked" Roadtrip and is now just extending Basecamp as the main Mac app.

+11

2.1.1 is a beta version, which can be found at this link.. Previous versions couldn't use the city navigator maps, and was only useful for their outdoors hiking and camping units. I'm trying it out and it is snappier and more user friendly.

I use Road Trip on my Macbook. It is different from the Windows trip planning software and takes some acclimation. Works fine though.

VMware Fusion works well on the Macbook if you can't get used to Road Trip. Full disclosure: my company owns a majority of VMware.

I have lugged my MBP 13" on the RT for a couple of years now, as long as it isn't rattling around all by its lonesome in the top case its fine. Never had a problem. And it runs Win 7 under Parallels 5 just fine. But I have been using Road Trip for a couple of years now with no real problem.

The interface is different but the result is the same...

Jim

Archived