IGNORED

Adjusting preload my own Ohlins

Haynes

I have a second bike nd my RT is now almost dedicated to two-up riding. I want to increase the initial spring preload with the screw adjustments.

I remember that there is a pin to remove before the adjustments can be made.

Has anyone removed this pin? if so, how?

Before you do that procedure check which spring is installed to be sure you've got the proper weight rating for two up.

You can remove the pin and compress the spring a little bit but not to the point of compensating for an existing spring rate far below your needs.

If you do attempt this, the spring needs to be compressed with some sort of spring clamp like the ones used for servicing auto shocks and struts, to relieve the pressure. Once the pressure is off it's a matter of pulling the lock pin and dialing it down a few turns.

I'd suggest contacting Ohlins with your spring #'s and check things out first. Maybe a different spring is needed.

Thanks Gordon,

That's all good advice. When I ordered the Ohlins I asked them to have it set up for "occasional" two-up riding. I hope they complied by fitting a suitable spring. If I have to change it, so be it.

I have spring compressors and equipment for light suspension work so I should be okay. I'l report back on my findings.

Somebody at Ohlins should be able to tell you what "spring length" (the distance from top to bottom) you need to achieve for your setup. If not, measure how much the spring compresses from zero preload to max preload. This may help you determine how much you may want to compress your spring for a new zero preload.

Remember if you set it for two up at the zero end of preload, your bike will feel stiff when riding solo. I'd set the two up at max preload and then dial it down when riding solo.

Gordon,

Your suggestions are what I intend to do. I can claculate the spring length myself to maintain the correct ride height. At the moment I have the perfect ride height and performance at the maximum preload setting.

When we travel, we carry perhaps 15kg extra gear and maybe another 5kg of winter bike clothing so I want an extra bit to compensate for this.

Doing the calculations and making the adjustment is not difficult; the method of removing the pin is what concerns me.

I was at Stig Petterson's place when he worked on mine (1100RT) and he simply put the shock in a vice (he designed to hold shocks) compressed the spring, pulled the pin, readjusted the locking collar down a few turns, and reinserted the pin. Took him maybe 2 mins. I don't recall if he pulled the pin with a pair of pliers, or if it was threaded in.

This is strictly an observation.

I attempted to pull out the pin so I could turn the adjuster but it appeared to be stuck fast. This made me look at an alternative solution.

I remembered that when I first fitted the Ohlins, my feet hardly touched the ground at full preload. Having topped up the hydraulic oil of my OEM shock and making a difference to that before I changed to Ohlins, I thought I'd try this on the Ohlins.

When I removed the filling screw, a small airspace was apparent so I topped up the oil and increased the movement of the expansion collar from 6mm full expansion to 8mm. It took no more than one or two teaspoons of oil but it made a huge difference.

With passenger and luggage, the ride height now exceeds my needs.

Archived