IGNORED

BMW's "Next Generation" visco-elastic body armor: opinions?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

I've seen this stuff on the shelf at my local dealer. It's tempting. I currently wear Draggin' Jeans, with Planet Knox armor stuck to the inside at the knees (and hips). The BMW stuff looks like it's more form-fitting, and of course would end up conforming better, since it's visco-elastic foam. It also wraps around to the sides of the knees better than what I've got right now.

Anyone use it? Is the shape comfortable? The knee armor would be directly against my skin. Would this stuff get uncomfortable after a while? Anyone know if it offers a decent level of protection in a get-off?

4860.jpg.f5ba30875268d27f702893df3fb80528.jpg

I believe that's the same armor that's in my Airshell jacket. It's got to be the most comfortable armor I have ever worn. It feels very substantial, but when the jacket's donned it's actually very form fitting. You don't even know it's there. Never actually tested it, but if you believe their ad hype, it's quite effective.

-MKL

CruisinCruzan

I have BMW gear with this as well as the older black ProSafe armor (in my SG2). The orange feels somewhat more substantial but I find the black ProSafe to be more comfortable. The orange armor is not too uncomfortable to wear but the black is simply less noticeable when I'm wearing gear with it. The orange armor is also significantly more temperature dependent. When I leave for work in the spring and it is in the 40's it is like a rock. in that type of situation store the gear in a heated area. If it is against the skin I might line the inside with something less rubbery.

I have the amour in comfortshell pants, there is only mesh between the armour and my knees and it is not a problem, I also noticed that it gets softer as it warms up with body heat.

Ian

• 5 years later...
schumacher62

thank goodness for ancient threads. i have this very armour in a bmw boulder jacket and recently had cause to test its efficiency. it worked brilliantly, cracking the left elbow piece into two.

im searching everywhere to find a replacement, but am having no luck. can anyone with resources greater than mine suggest where i might go to find a replacement or two? it really is fine form fitting armour. id like to not use anything else in my jacket, which is unscathed and in fine condition.

thank you kindly,

Paul

Edit: found at MAX Bmw. why am i not surprised? thanks folks.

Joe Frickin' Friday
thank goodness for ancient threads. i have this very armour in a bmw boulder jacket and recently had cause to test its efficiency. it worked brilliantly, cracking the left elbow piece into two.

Sorry for your crash, but glad to hear the armor worked well for you.

I bought the knee armor shortly after I started this thread. Have not crash-tested it yet, but it's comfortable, and it does indeed wrap nicely around the lateral face of each knee joint, offering some protection from side impact.

Archived