IGNORED

Tire Sale at MC Superstore

gmarktbone

FYI--Just bought a set of Michelin PR2 F and R tires for $265 from Motorcycle-Superstore.com. Great tire sale going on now with no tax and no shipping charges.

CoarsegoldKid

I haven't checked other brands recently but for your information Michelin has a Road Pilot 2 Rear and a Road Pilot 2 Rear "B". The be has a stiffer side wall for two up riding according to the Michelin man I spoke with this morning. The web site does not describe the "B" it just shows it.

A few years back the Z6 also had a "B" if I remember correctly.

Just another positive note for MC Superstore. I have been ordering stuff from them for a while on the recommendation of the guy who changes my tires and they seem to be very upstanding with prices and service after the sale. I had a PIAA bulb burn out prematurely a while back and and they replaced it totally free, no questions asked. Good folks in my book. they get :thumbsup: :thumbsup: from me.

FYI--Just bought a set of Michelin PR2 F and R tires for $265 from Motorcycle-Superstore.com. Great tire sale going on now with no tax and no shipping charges.

I'm coming up with a price of $298 for the pair of tires. For the R1200RT, we need to buy the Size - 180/55ZR-17 B, which is about $35 more. Maybe that's the difference? Or is the "B" version irrelevant?

I'm coming up with a price of $298 for the pair of tires. For the R1200RT, we need to buy the Size - 180/55ZR-17 B, which is about $35 more. Maybe that's the difference? Or is the "B" version irrelevant?

Michelin recommends the B fitment for two up riding and heavier loads.

Michelin recommends the B fitment for two up riding and heavier loads.

So, if I'm riding alone with small loads, I could expect longer tire life? Or longer tire life and bad handling?

I called the Michelin customer support this morning (along with Pirelli, because the have an E version of their Angel ST), and they didn't mention that. When I pressed them both, they said that the design of the tire was more "robust" for the RT.

Now I'm totally confused again, and I'm down to 1mm of thread above the TWI on my Metzler Z6's.

CoarsegoldKid

So, if I'm riding alone with small loads, I could expect longer tire life? Or longer tire life and bad handling?

I think that is a safe assumption that you would get longer tire life. Bad handling I don't think so at all because the compound is the same only the sidewall is stiffer. Your rear suspension may require some tuning to compensate for the tire not flexing on compression. I think we seem to get overly concerned about stickiness of tires. Have you noticed that the GS riders can hang with the best of them and they have less sticky tires and less foot print too.

I have used both the PR2 'B' and the standard PR2 rears...I only ride one up and w/ moderate loads. The 'B' version didn't last any better than the standard PR2. The 'B' is quite a bit heavier and

more difficult to mount (I use a No-Mar). Regarding handling, I'd

say they were about even though the greater un-sprung weight and stiffer sidewalls/tread probably do make some difference. The

reason I can't say for sure is that I replaced the stock ESA shocksw/ HyperPro's between those two tires.

I just rolled over the 30K mark (average about 2K / month) and

have tried a number of different tires. Without doubt the PR2's

are the best I've used for most of my riding.

Dave

'08 R1200RT

I think that is a safe assumption that you would get longer tire life. Bad handling I don't think so at all because the compound is the same only the sidewall is stiffer. Your rear suspension may require some tuning to compensate for the tire not flexing on compression. I think we seem to get overly concerned about stickiness of tires. Have you noticed that the GS riders can hang with the best of them and they have less sticky tires and less foot print too.

I just thought they were better riders with better bikes! :Cool:

I ran one set of plain PR2s, and then went to the B, and then went back to the plain. I saw some life benefit to the PR2s, but didn't see enough difference between them to justify the extra $. I weigh 300 lbs, so I'm two up all the time. :-)

Here was my original post on the subject.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=448670

It's important to note, that this was one sample. I may have ridden less abrasive roads, used less right wrist, or otherwise influenced things such that the extra life I saw in the B fitment was an anomaly. Your mileage may vary, quite literally in this case.

I could not tell the difference between the ride of the B and regular fitment.

On my GT, the only time (using Metzler Z 6's) that I had a wear issue was the one time (in 7 sets) that we accidentally mounted the regular rear tire rather than the one for the GT.

Different bike, different tire.

Article in this month's MOA mag addresses some of this topic.

We've been running the regular PR2 on our RT's which we ride "one-up" for the past few tires. I like the feel of them better than any other tires. Oh, and I just bought two sets from MC Superstore on Sunday. :grin:

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't you just stick with the tire brand that came with bike? Is there something wrong with Metzlers?

I am approaching 5k miles on my RT and this tire is unlike any I've ever put on my other bikes. At 5k it's looking like I have another 1-2k of life in them.

I've purchased two Metz Z6 front tires that have lasted between 4 and 5K. I have a Dunlop Roadsmart F and R on now, and I have around 4K on the front and it already needs to be replaced. I went with the Michelin because it is the only tire on this board that regularly gets higher mileage reports. The Metz tires are great but they don't last long.

I've purchased two Metz Z6 front tires that have lasted between 4 and 5K. I have a Dunlop Roadsmart F and R on now, and I have around 4K on the front and it already needs to be replaced. I went with the Michelin because it is the only tire on this board that regularly gets higher mileage reports. The Metz tires are great but they don't last long.

I also have the Roadsmarts F and R on a K12RS... 4500 mi. rear is good, front is toast. I didn't know when purchasing last year that the front is NOT dual compound like the rear. This is the first (front) tire I've had on this bike that has worn badly, and I will not return to these in the future, at least not until they produce a front that equals the rear.

Best all around handling on the bike was Z6, but I also didn't like the mileage.

Best choice to date was the Mich PR2

good luck,

MB>

My bike came with Michelin PR's. Not the 2's. I'm at 11K, the rear is near toast (maybe 1k left) and the front maybe another 2-3k left. I ride spirited on some pretty crappy roads. SAMSAR has the PR2's on his 1150. I rode that for maybe 10 - 15 miles. Lousy feel in my opinion (he doesn't like 'em either - PM him maybe he'll sell 'em to you cheap). Bike/Tire/Road/Agressivness all play a part. Not being able to play with several sets of tires to compare I'm content sticking with the PR's. They've served me well.

Archived