IGNORED

SPOT Satellite Personal Tracker

Aridzonan

Just purchased a Spot Satellite personal tracker to cover me on longer distance solo rides. I would appreciate any advice on which services to sign up for and how other BMWST members use their SPOT equipment. How do they monitor you back home? Can you list multiple people tracking or monitoring you?.

Do you leave on at all times during the trip? (Stupid question?) Do you wear it outside or inside your riding gear? etc. etc. All ideas and suggestions will be most welcome. Thanks!

Thanks for the quick response Bakerzdosen! I took a look at the links you gave. Interesting but they really didn't answer my questions. Still hoping someone can help specifically. Aridzonan

Nice n Easy Rider

Hi Aridzonan. I'll try to answer some of your questions below.

How do they monitor you back home? (1) You can either give the password to your account and the interested party can log-on and track your progress or (2) SPOT now has a system whereby you can set up a website to which people can go, log-on, and follow your progress. Using the second method obviates the need for giving anyone access to your account.

Can you list multiple people tracking or monitoring you?. See above answer.

Do you leave on at all times during the trip? (Stupid question?) Only when I'm actually riding. I shut it off as soon as i reach each day's destination.

Do you wear it outside or inside your riding gear? Neither. I use to keep it (facing up) in my tank bag but I recently installed a RAM mount on my handlebars which has a holder especially designed for the SPOT. This way I can visually check it while riding to verify that it is still on and it is in clear sight to remind me to take it with me when I stop and go inside along the way.

Hope this helps some.

The SPOT devices use two communication systems. The GEOS (I believe) satellite to communicate your location, and of course, GPS satellites for your position. The communication satellite is very low powered, so you need a line of sight to it to communicate properly. That means the SPOT device needs to be exposed (lots of people wear it on the back of their jacket) for it to communicate your location. But it's problematic in thick trees and other locations.

The GPS function is pretty good, with fewer limitations, but if you cannot communicate your position, it's not going to help out. And of course, if your SPOT gets separated from you in an accident, you can't activate the SOS function.

That's the technology, as best as I know. For this to work, you need to have a Service Plan from SPOT. Without it, you just have an orange box with no functionality. The service plan allows you to send an SOS via the GEOS satellites to search and rescue, check in, and other stuff. It's about $100 per year for this service.

To have people track you, you need to purchase the Tracking Service from SPOT (yes, they charge for everything). I think they can actually monitor your progress on a website you set up. It can be useful if you drive off a road, and go missing. At least they'll have a general idea of where you are. Anyone can see your website, so friends and family can watch your progress.

For it to work like that, it needs to be on all the time, so you need to carry lots of batteries.

So, you need to spend some money for at least two services, figure out how to mount it on your clothing so it has a line of sight for communications, and load up on batteries. I hope this answers your questions.

The tracking feature needs to be restarted every 24hrs.,at least on version 1.

Hope you read the owners manual and read the FAQ's on the SPOT website,lots of good info that will help answer your questions.

JR356

malcolmblalock

I have some experience and will try to answer your questions, based on my experience. I have one of the original devices.

I have the tracking service, which IMO, is essential to fulfill one of my objectives--to let people at home know where I am. I turn it on (the tracking feature) when I start and turn it off when I get where I'm going. The battery life is amazing, and I have many days of all-day tracking between battery changes (original battery lasted a year).

I also have the optional Search and Rescue service which, if needed, will find me and take me to a care center. Hope I never need it..

When you open your Spot online account, you can add people you want to receive email or text message notifications. There are two kinds of notifications--the "I'm safe and ok" message (which I send before settling in for the night, and the "Need help" message. I'm not sure how many people you can have, but when I signed up, I think it allowed about 10.

Before starting a trip, I go online and set up the tracking system so that people can track me as I travel. You have the option of letting anyone see the maps or restricting the viewing to only those who you want to find you (no password vs password site). Those following you will have the map automatically refreshed each time a new location is sent (appx every 10 minutes, assuming SPOT can find the satellites.

Which brings up an important point. The device has to be facing the sky, with an unobstructed view of the sky. Which is harder than you'd think. Inside clothing will render it useless. Some report putting it in a tank bag, on top of everything else and that it works (haven't tried that personally). If it's too close to your body, you've blocked it. If it's too close to other stuff (GPS, radio, etc), they have blocked it. If you're in steep mountains, they have blocked it. So location, location, location...

That's enough for you to get started. IMO, if you ride alone, it's the cheapest insurance to probably help you be found in case of a problem. It has restrictions, definitely, but it's also not expensive.

Hi Aridzonan. I'll try to answer some of your questions below.

How do they monitor you back home? (1) You can either give the password to your account and the interested party can log-on and track your progress or (2) SPOT now has a system whereby you can set up a website to which people can go, log-on, and follow your progress. Using the second method obviates the need for giving anyone access to your account.

I believe you have to purchase this service from SPOT, called SPOT Tracker.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Dan, I'm at work so I'll make this down and dirty.

Put your spot with the "spot" logo face up for best operation. I keep mine in my tank bag, or on the other bike in a Ram Mount.

When you create a "shared page" with spot, you can send the link to anyone. If you want a simpler interface or a shorter URL to link with, go to www.jasonjonas.org/spot and sign up. It's free and better if you ask me. Are you a techie? Do you have you're own URL? I have some fun stuff, but you've got to know a little about web sites.

Turn it on in the morning and let it go through the "okay" procedure. If you have it text you for okay messages, and you're within cell range, you'll know when it went through. Then put it in tracking for the entire day, unless you want to send the okay message again. I usually do that at the end of the day.

fire away if you have more questions.

I hope this doesn't come across as snarky, but are you not concerned that if you are in an emergency situation, you could be separated from your SPOT and not be able to request assistance? I know that's a way out there possibility, but SPOT has only two functions: tracking and SOS.

Anyways, if I were buying such a pricey device (and I'm going to), I want it accessible, so if I'm lying over the side of the highway with two compound fractures of the femur, I can push that SOS button without trying to find it.

Nice n Easy Rider

I hope this doesn't come across as snarky, but are you not concerned that if you are in an emergency situation, you could be separated from your SPOT and not be able to request assistance? I know that's a way out there possibility, but SPOT has only two functions: tracking and SOS.

Anyways, if I were buying such a pricey device (and I'm going to), I want it accessible, so if I'm lying over the side of the highway with two compound fractures of the femur, I can push that SOS button without trying to find it.

orangemarlin,

No, you don't come across as snarky. There have been several discussions on this forum as to the best place to carry the SPOT. Ideally, I would like it on my person but, as others have mentioned, it works best when it has a clear site-line to the satellites. Also, I'm reluctant to carry anything on my person that could provide a hard hit to a vital body part (heart, liver, spleen, etc.) in an accident so for that very reason I don't carry the SPOT on me I also carry my cell-phone either in my tank bag or in my pants pocket.

Although I might not be able to reach my SPOT in an emergency, at least my last known position would be available to those tracking me. Even with broken appendages I still might be able to crawl over to the SPOT in some circumstances. Although carrying the SPOT on the bike is certainly not ideal it still seems like the best choice IMHO until I hear of a better (safer, effective) way of carrying it on my person.

I have had one for over a year.

When I got my SPOT 1 I did a test.

SPOT at the bottom of my tank bag facing front up, signal good all day.

SPOT in my GIVI top box facing front up, good signal all day.

SPOT in my pocket facing front to the front of the bike, 75% of the signals got through.

A coupe of us have found that if your SPOT is in your pocket your body is the thing that will block the singal. Depending on where the satellites are you can be sending out good signals then go around a corner and lose the signal for a while.

A friend of mine had problems with signals when his SPOT was on a ram mount next to his GPS, he moved the SPOT away from the GPS and it worked much better.

My SPOT send the signal every 10 minutes all day long.

You can send out signals, OK (I am OK), Help (A short message to E mail or cell phone that you put in), 911 (this goes to a call center to call emergency services).

I have had friends call me at motels where we are staying by seeing the location on the map.

One time a friend and I got separated, he called his wife and she checked the SPOT site and call us at the restaurant we were at.

If you want someone to be able to see where you are without stopping to download a track it is the way to go.

I does work at high speed (80 MPH) but there are more miles between signals.

The signals are connected by stright lines but you should be able to figure out your route.

There are some problems with SPOT II, a recall is going on.

I would get a SPOT I or wait until the get a fix for SPOT II.

orangemarlin,

No, you don't come across as snarky. There have been several discussions on this forum as to the best place to carry the SPOT. Ideally, I would like it on my person but, as others have mentioned, it works best when it has a clear site-line to the satellites. Also, I'm reluctant to carry anything on my person that could provide a hard hit to a vital body part (heart, liver, spleen, etc.) in an accident so for that very reason I don't carry the SPOT on me I also carry my cell-phone either in my tank bag or in my pants pocket.

Although I might not be able to reach my SPOT in an emergency, at least my last known position would be available to those tracking me. Even with broken appendages I still might be able to crawl over to the SPOT in some circumstances. Although carrying the SPOT on the bike is certainly not ideal it still seems like the best choice IMHO until I hear of a better (safer, effective) way of carrying it on my person.

Valid points all around. My issue with the last known position is that it could be quite a delay before someone notices that you haven't checked in.

Though your point about a hard item on your jacket might cause an additional injury, if you think about the size of the SPOT, the possibility that it would be at the point of impact would be very small. However, since we all do little things to reduce our risks, I was actually thinking of putting it on my left arm. Good line of sight, and I can push the SOS button with my right hand.

Anyways, let's all hope that none of us have to use it for an emergency, and just post nice maps of our trips (which is probably 75% of the reason why I want it).

Having seen some photos here of bike crash scenes, with bits and pieces scattered all around, I wonder what the odds are that a SPOT mounted on your handlebars or on your person will survive a crash? Inside the tank bag seems like a safer bet (though I wouldn't be surprised to find that it wouldn't work inside my silver-lined Marsee tank bag. My V-1 doesn't.)

I know that's a way out there possibility, but SPOT has only two functions: tracking and SOS.
Beg to differ. I have no intention of using tracking. I am going to subscribe to roadside assistance, though. I plan to punch the OK button periodically, to send my wife an e-mail to let her know I'm OK (saves roaming charges) and I plan to buy the roadside assistance coverage so that if I get a flat tire or the HES craps out, I can get the bike towed to the closest garage.

Oh yeah, and SOS would be great if I really need it. Tracking, not so much.

Having seen some photos here of bike crash scenes, with bits and pieces scattered all around, I wonder what the odds are that a SPOT mounted on your handlebars or on your person will survive a crash? Inside the tank bag seems like a safer bet (though I wouldn't be surprised to find that it wouldn't work inside my silver-lined Marsee tank bag. My V-1 doesn't.)

I'm not an expert on communications, but the GEOS satellite, through which the SPOT communicates, can be blocked almost anything. I'd guess that your tank bag would render it useless.

Paul In Australia

Hi

I have a Spot ( version 1) and it either sits on a RAM mount on bars, or in my top box ( BMW 28 litre). Works equally as well at either location. I do ensure it is on top of the pile in the top box. Only place it has not been perfect was strapped to my arm. Bit hit and miss there and uncomfortable after a while.

I have used it extensively and find it great. The kids can follow my trips ( last one 6000 kms) and in Oz there are some pretty remote back roads, so it gives me safety back up as cell phone coverage out in some places is awful.

best regards

paul

Archived