IGNORED

Anyone using GEICO for their bike insurance?

stager

My annual renewal is coming up. I have used Progressive for many years and have no complaints (although I've never had a claim). My autos are insured with GEICO, so I'm considering putting the bikes there as well. Anyone had any experience with GEICO...good or bad??

Thanks,

Denis

As I work in the bike business I understand that Geico is a reliable insurance company. OTOH They are or were suppliers of free Radar and Laser guns to police departments and I think they are partially in the radar/laser business. There is some info here: http://bimmer.roadfly.com/z3/messages/archive/msgsy1999w44/15394.html

What I do know is that years back Maryland was one of the last states stuck in the 55mph speed limit law. The MD congress voted in the law change to 65mph. Geico made a extremely powerful lobbying and mail-in campaign against it "for safety", so the governor vetoed it.

On the insurance application they ask if you own a radar detector. If yes, they won't insure you.

More speeding tickets, more excuses for raised isurance.

I won't do business with them.

I had good experience with a GEICO claim on my first totalled bike in 1999. The other driver was at fault in the crash, she had GEICO insurance; and they treated me so well that I switched my auto insurance to GEICO.

I was less satisfied with the Progressive claim payment after a deer collision in 2007, although I'm still with Progressive for motorcycle insurance, out of inertia.

I should probably stick my head up and do some comparison shopping.

I have been in gieco for many years. they were the only company to even consider insuring Ryan (16 at the time) and again when he turned 20 and bought the Ducati 996 they were only ones to offer reasonabe rates. Ryan tuns 25 next year, and has a clean driving record. So he will have many choices next year. but for a few years Gieco was the only company that would insure Ryan (on the bikes he had). Ryan was on a R1100s, then the K1200RS, then a Ducati 996. All pretty high insurance rated bikes for a 17 - 21 year old male rider.

My annual renewal is coming up. I have used Progressive for many years and have no complaints (although I've never had a claim). My autos are insured with GEICO, so I'm considering putting the bikes there as well. Anyone had any experience with GEICO...good or bad??

Thanks,

Denis

I've always thought it better to keep the policies at separate companies, that way 'some things' that might raise all your insurance will only affect half of it. For instance my auto insurance went up for a couple of years because of a minor incident, but the separate moto insurance company didn't care, bet they would have applied a blanket increase if it was all with one company.

I too boycott GEICO because of their anti-social behavior, there was a time when they wouldn't even consider insuring motorcycles.

I have GEICO for auto and home (Travelers) but they could not match Progressive for the bike. No claims yet on the cars, but they are responsive on the phone - had issue with house premium and they addressed to my satisfaction.

i had allstate and they were charging me $600 a year . then they raised it to $1050 a year. i asked why but they never got back to me so i called geico. they insured me for $450 a year...i am now a geico customer

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Geico M/C customer now on two bikes. Haven't had a claim but, when I have a question, they get back to me faster than I'm ready for them.

In the '70s they were Gov't Employees Insurance Co. hence the acronym.

I'm perfectly OK with them endorsing and supporting traffic enforcement and safety...if that is real. If I don't get pinched, my premium is lower for it. I don't get pinched although I probably should.

I have used Erie for my car/house for years but when I asked about my motorcycle, my agent recommended Geico. I've never had a

bad experience with Geico but I have had very good customer service when I have needed it.

I'm satisfied with em with the exception of the caveman commercials. :thumbsup:

I've got Geico and have been very happy with them. You get two 75 mile tows a year with them and they don't screw around with claims. I dropped my Sprint in the driveway and two days after getting my $900 estimate, I had a check for $900 from Geico. (The agent added $250 to the claim so I would not have to pay my deductible.- Awesome) Very happy with them.

I have had Geico insurance on the cars for over 35 years. Their service is very good. I added the current BMW to them in 2006. Had one claim due to running into some powder sand and getting dumped. Claim service was very quick. HOWEVER....

On the next payment on the car policy, the rates had jumped about 200 bucks. On inquiring, I discovered that the car insurance department had decided that the motorcycle crash was an "at fault" and uprated the cars.

I immediately went into Attorney mode and backed them off after raising a lot of hell about it. The Motorcycle division stated flatly that the bike accident should not have anything to do with the car rates.

They finally got it straight, but I am in the process of doing some rate comparisons to see about saving some money on renewal time. Geico originally, as noted previously, was for government employees and had great rates. Now, not so much. I guess they pay dearly for the lizard to be on TV all the time so have to up the rates.

GEICO does have a 10% discount for taking the MSF course, and 15% for MSF Instructors.

I have Geico for my RT. I have Allstate for home, auto and life but they didn't do motorcycles when I bought the RT. I have had a major claim with Geico on the RT after an accident and was treated very well and my premium did not go up.

I had good experience with a GEICO claim on my first totalled bike in 1999. The other driver was at fault in the crash, she had GEICO insurance; and they treated me so well that I switched my auto insurance to GEICO.

I was less satisfied with the Progressive claim payment after a deer collision in 2007, although I'm still with Progressive for motorcycle insurance, out of inertia.

I should probably stick my head up and do some comparison shopping.

I also had a Progressive claim after a deer collision in 2007. However, I was very satisfied with Progressive.

I'm moving to Progressive. Currently on Dairyland for past 2 years. No claims, no experience but price shopping I found Progressive (with my USAA discount) to be favorable. I believe that you get what you pay for. The key here is to never have to use it. It's insurance after all...

I am very much +1 with Paul.

I have been involved with NMA (National Motorists Association) since mid 80's (when they were CCRTL, Citizens' Coalition for Rational Traffic Laws) - the people that were instrumental in overturning the 55mph National Speed Limit, thank you. As such, I have been well aware of GEICO's provision of laser speed guns to police departments throughout the country.

I cannot recall the exact numbers anymore, but at that time their ROI (return-on-investment) was about $145,000 in premium surcharges for each of the $2,000 LTI laser guns.

In any case, MY principles are worth a few more bucks a year. I'll never go with these lowlifes that actually conspire to make me pay more and become a violator of unreasonable traffic laws. And, if I just could get my hands on that lizard's throat...

I have GEICO for all my vehicles and home (Travelers) I could not be more happy. For those young drivers, GEICO will let you keep the yung'ins on your policy for as long as you want. They don't have to be a student or under 25. Huge savings for the kids and they get limits they could not afford.

.......OTOH They are or were suppliers of free Radar and Laser guns to police departments and I think they are partially in the radar/laser business...........On the insurance application they ask if you own a radar detector. If yes, they won't insure you...........

You gotta' be spoofin' me mate....... :grin:

Gecko.jpg

Good info Paul.......

I've had Geico for my cars for 25 years; cheapest premiums and best service. But their m/c premium (for me) quotes are DOUBLE those of Progressive, with less coverage. Conversely, Progressive premiums for my cars would be double what I now pay Geico for my cars. Crazy.

I use Geico, more out of a cost thing and ease of access. I can call them anytime and change my policy. When you change bikes as often as I do thats a big deal. They are also always the cheapest no matter how hard I try. I have never made a claim so I cant comment there. I dislike their pricing policy for different bikes. Everytime I change the price seems to go up and I hear differnt reasns why. Oh, its higher CC's, Oh its a sport bike (no, a K1200RS is not a sport bike!)......Oh, its newer.....I caught them on my RT. I switched the policy from my ST1300 to my 1200RT and they tried telling me the price was higher. I asked why? I explained they are both sport touring bikes, same model year, fewer CC's, less horsepower.....they had no justification but finally came back with a lower price after I called their bluff on every reason under the sun they tried to use.

Archived