IGNORED

Battery Question - UPG UT51913-22 Adventure Power AGM battery

Luky

So has anyone tried an Adventure Power sealed AGM battery ?

My PC680 is about 6-7 years old and isn't holding a charge very well anymore and I'm looking for a replacement. A new PC680 is $120.49/shipped from Amazon (I have Amazon Prime) and the Adventure Power UPG UT51913-22 AGM battery is only $86.51 delivered.

Does anyone have any experience with these (Adventure Power)? I would like to save the $34 if they are equivalent batteries for a R11RT... I don't ride that often anymore so it will need to be able to sit for long periods between rides (weeks to months). I tend to throw on a battery tender over night before I go riding to make sure it is topped off...

I have no experience with "Adventure Power" but have very good track record with Deka AGM batteries. Have you checked if they make one that fits your bike?

For one they are made in U.S.A.

Just two weeks ago I bought a Deka ETX14 for my 1200GS.

Likely just as good as Odyssey but doesn't have the expensive name....

--

Mikko

Luky-

What you are looking for is called "shelf life," meaning the amount of time a battery can sit unused before self-discharging. Most sealed, maintenance free VRLA batteries have a shelf life of 3 months, measured at +25C (industry standard is that battery specs are measured at +25C - lower temps increase shelf life, while higher temps reduce it). If you check the specs for the battery you're considering and find more than 3 months, let us know. I sincerely doubt you will.

An Enersys Odyssey battery has a shelf life of approx 1.5-2 YEARS. You don't need a battery tender with this battery if you ride more than a few times per year, if your parasitic loads are extremely small.

This subject comes up enough that I've asked the mods to put it in the FAQ. I hope they do. It is a common misconception on this board to compare Enersys to other lower priced brands - there is no comparison, in shelf life, operating temperature, resistance to shock and vibration, storage temp range, expected life, or any other meaningful specification. They're expensive for a reason - you're getting what you pay for.

I have direct experience with this, as my company uses Enersys batteries (among many others) for use with the UPS systems we build for the US military, which we have been doing for over 43 years.

-MKL

Luky-

What you are looking for is called "shelf life," meaning the amount of time a battery can sit unused before self-discharging. Most sealed, maintenance free VRLA batteries have a shelf life of 3 months, measured at +25C (industry standard is that battery specs are measured at +25C - lower temps increase shelf life, while higher temps reduce it). If you check the specs for the battery you're considering and find more than 3 months, let us know. I sincerely doubt you will.

An Enersys Odyssey battery has a shelf life of approx 1.5-2 YEARS. You don't need a battery tender with this battery if you ride more than a few times per year, if your parasitic loads are extremely small.

This subject comes up enough that I've asked the mods to put it in the FAQ. I hope they do. It is a common misconception on this board to compare Enersys to other lower priced brands - there is no comparison, in shelf life, operating temperature, resistance to shock and vibration, storage temp range, expected life, or any other meaningful specification. They're expensive for a reason - you're getting what you pay for.

I have direct experience with this, as my company uses Enersys batteries (among many others) for use with the UPS systems we build for the US military, which we have been doing for over 43 years.

-MKL

I couldn't agree more with Moshe. For $34 bucks I'd go 1st class. YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ! Have you tried other sources? :lurk:

Luky-

-MKL

Thanks for the cogent response Moshe. That is the info I was looking for to help make my decision. I will order another Odyssey PC680. Check out my response to your post about 75w bulbs in Motolights. I highly recommend them!

Does anyone know of an inexpensive pre-manufactured "remote" terminal solution for the PC680/R11RT fitment that would allow access for jumper cables/charger if necessary? I have wanted this several times over the years but never wanted to go through the trouble of removing the gas tank to install it... My current "solution" was to use an exacto to strip about a 1.5" section of insulation off the positive battery cable just above the airbox. I then slit some PVC tubing of the appropriate size and about 2" length to cover it, then wrapped it in electrical tape. This allows me to "easily" remove it to clamp a jumper cable to the positive side of the battery in an emergency if needed... Cheap and functional, but schlocky...

No experience, but WELCOME BACK LUKY!!!!!

It's good to see you posting here again!!!! :thumbsup:

Hi Mike! Yeah, it's been awhile... I lurk every now and then, but riding has taken a back seat for the last 4 or 5 years with my family and job... After my accident (6 years ago?) my wife was happier with me doing track days in my car (BMW 330i) than going riding... Now it is flying RC planes/Helicopters or shooting IDPA/IPSC matches... My flying buddy is interested in getting a bike and he is looking at a 2002 K12RS so I may have to switch to more riding again :).

Maybe we will hit the Unrally this year since it is so close to San Diego (have not been to one since the first in Gunnison). Have to see how my job is going at the time. I'm working on finding a new one as my company is moving everything back to Japan (with higher costs than here) and we all expect to get laid off soon (after 10+ years of supporting these Bozos :mad: )...

Thanks for the shout out. :wave:

BR,

Luky

Does anyone know of an inexpensive pre-manufactured "remote" terminal solution for the PC680/R11RT fitment that would allow access for jumper cables/charger if necessary? I have wanted this several times over the years but never wanted to go through the trouble of removing the gas tank to install it... My current "solution" was to use an exacto to strip about a 1.5" section of insulation off the positive battery cable just above the airbox. I then slit some PVC tubing of the appropriate size and about 2" length to cover it, then wrapped it in electrical tape. This allows me to "easily" remove it to clamp a jumper cable to the positive side of the battery in an emergency if needed... Cheap and functional, but schlocky...

I thought this approach was super cool...

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/Oilhead%20Starter%20mod.html

Does anyone know of an inexpensive pre-manufactured "remote" terminal solution for the PC680/R11RT fitment that would allow access for jumper cables/charger if necessary? I have wanted this several times over the years but never wanted to go through the trouble of removing the gas tank to install it...

Got your response on the Motos, thanks.

Re remote terminal, the parts are about $35 from BMW - don't have the part numbers here at work, but just ask your dealer for the jump start post.

Here it is installed on my R1150RT with Odyssey

batpost.jpg

As you can see, the actual jump-start stud is touching the bottom of the tank tupperware. Since this is all hidden by the seat anyway, I just shaved out some relief from the tupperware with a dremel tool, so nothing touches anything else. Installation is 15 minutes.

By the way, ignore what I have labeled as "accessory stud" which I used to disconnect all my accessories quickly. These days I'd recommend a Centech or other fuse block - less "schlocky." :grin:

-MKL

I thought this approach was super cool...

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom/Oilhead%20Starter%20mod.html

Here are pictures of the end result...

DoneNoCover.jpg

DoneWithCover.jpg

Pop the little cover, put your positive lead on, put the negative somewhere on the frame, and away you go.

That would work on an R or GS, but not an RT. My wife's former 2004 R1150R had that jump start stud as standard equipment from the factory. The OP has an RT, in which case the post is mounted right to the battery as I showed above.

-MKL

That would work on an R or GS, but not an RT. My wife's former 2004 R1150R had that jump start stud as standard equipment from the factory. The OP has an RT, in which case the post is mounted right to the battery as I showed above.

-MKL

Ahhh, tupperware. My bad.

Yep, tupperware. PITA that it is... But that is a nice clean solution for for a remote jumper post.

I think I may try Moshe's suggestion if the parts guy can find the PN and get me the part by next weekend. Ordered the new Odyssey battery today and should have it before next weekend. Hopefully my current battery will be ok for another few days as it is supposed to be 76F here on Sunday and I may have to go riding :grin: . There really is a reason I don't live in Chicago anymore... ;)

Archived