IGNORED

How much time does a BMW mechanic need to install MotoLights?

RichEdwards

When I purchased mine from the dealer in NC (couldn't get Euro to deal, Hap's only slightly), they charged me 1 hour labor for the moto lights install and did a custom mount of the led light and tied the on/off to the existing high beam switch.

I suppose it depends...on how picky you are about the location and type of control you want. If a simple on/off switch mounted on the side panel is sufficient then no more than an hour and a half I'd say.

The actual mounting of the lights is simple, like 30 minutes simple. But its the wiring that takes time, especially if you want something like the autoswitch to control the function thru say, the turn signal cancel switch. That takes time to remove tupperware, source the correct power supplies, wire everything up and re-install the plastic bits.

Its not that tough a job to do yourself...especially if you have a friend to open your beer!

Jim

I had the Motolights installed on my 2003 RT at the Americade rally by the Motolights installer. It took him about 1-1/2 - 2 hours and he installs them all the time.

Before I sold the bike, I removed the lights. The wiring install was fantastic. It looked like the wires were factory installed. It took me about 30-40 minutes to carefully remove the wires.

Rich, when it comes to non-book repairs & installs you are kind of at the mercy of the dealer when it comes to labor prices & quoted hours..

I’m pretty sure it won’t take them nearly 2-1/2 ACTUAL hours to do the work but they are probably making sure they won’t get burnt on the time involved if it isn’t a straight forward install..

Unless the dealer mechanic (technician now I guess) has done a lot of very similar installs he will have more time in it than actual hands on the bike.. Someone has to pay him to read the install instructions,, maybe research the tie in points for the circuits & wiring/switch tie in’s,, possibly obtain some wiring parts,, fuse holders,, etc that he will need for install..

If I were personally installing those lights it would probably be a flat rate price & not an hourly rate.. A lot of dealers are really into that hourly rate thing as that is how they bill their work time & pay their tecs..

There is always the possibility that if the shop is an honest,, straight forward,, & customer friendly shop they will lower the labor time if it takes less time than they originally quoted (but don’t hold your breath)..

You might want to shop around for a repair shop with a little more flexible pricing schedule or see if you can do some of the work yourself like mount the lights & run the wiring then just have your dealer do the wiring connections & switch hook up..

If your dealer is not real busy in their shop (look around when you stop in there) you might be able to haggle a little on the install pricing.. If the tecs are just standing around some income is better than no income.. The worst they will say is no or maybe a counter offer..

Question them on the install time: Ask what do I ACTUALLY get for the 2-12/ hours.. Ask them “specifically” what are they going to remove & do for that $212.50 (plus maybe other added shop fees)..

Maybe someone from your local BMW club with an electrical background could help you on the install..

Also remember that just because the dealer does the install doesn’t always make it better.. I have a seen a lot work come out of the dealers around here where they used unsealed butt connectors,, or Scotch Locks,, a few wraps of electrical tape & un-sheathed/un-protected wiring to do similar installs..

Soldering connections,, running wiring in neat & tidy looms,, properly securing wiring runs all takes extra time & effort..

Twisty

Personally, I think it's a fair rate IF, as, Twisty said the job is done properly. I just had a set installed on my friend's F650CS, and paid a slightly lower time rate, though the CS is an easier install.

Look into independent shops in your area - their hourly rate is usually less, and if you find a good one, the workmanship can sometimes be exponentially better than the dealer.

-MKL

Archived