IGNORED

Anyone using Clearwater Glenda LED driving lights?

RichEdwards

They carry them at A&S. They are on one of the showroom bikes as well.

One of my local riding buddies has them and reports that they seem to help being seen by way of the triangle of light but, they do little to improve the overall light down the road.

Motolights put more usable light out there and enhance your vision, as do other alternatives, whereas the Clearwater are just not putting light that improves what you see, only how you are seen.

They do appear to be built well. I like the idea of an LED light. I feel they chose lights that just aren't bright enough.

My .02.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

I've been looking at some lighting options for my dualsport bike but, haven't been real impressed with LED's. It looks as though you won't get good illumination until they improve the packaging toward something like a projector beam. Bicycle guys have some nice ones but the patterns stink....no shielding or projector.

For conspicuity alone, they make sense: Low draw, robust, long life, etc. For actually putting light where it's needed but not glaring oncomers, the prices are going to go way up.

Being visible is what I want these for. My new GSA comes with the BMW driving lights, so they should give me the light I need to see better at night. I'm more interested in being seen. :)

Here is another LED option

http://www.visionxonly.com/6.html?m7:cat=/LED%20Lighting/Solstice%20LED%20Light%20Series&sm=104442

Twisted Throttle handles a complete package of these lights.

I have purchased them but have not installed yet. The lights are bright off of the bike, but until I install them can't tell you how much light they add.

I purchased them for being seen, not seeing.

Not associated with either the product or TT.

Will probably use Lumalink mounts, so when comparing prices include mounting bracket costs.

There is a whole bunch of bull all over that website.

The FAQ section says the lights (the pair) puts out the light of a 50W halogen. Then it says that is about 500 lumens. Then it says each light draws 12W full power. White high power LEDS rated at 1W give out about 20 lumens. There are 3W LEDS out there, but they are not any more efficient. SO, you get 240 lumens per light. So, the answer is a bit misleading, making you think it is equivalent to a 50W halogen, but each light is half the 500 lumens.

But, does a 50W Halogen really output 500 lumens?? I checked and it isn't hard to find a 50W halogen that outputs greater than 900 lumens. So there is another factor lower light than the 50W halogen. This light without a doubt will have half the light of the 35W Motolight.

Why in the world would you dim a light that is already not enought light?

Where is that 12W of heat going?? I see no fins. Unlike the halogen, LEDS die real quick when they get hot.

I'd beware of LED wonders. They might be ok for getting noticed, but not putting light on the road. Furthermore, a company with this sort of product, should not bull you to buy them.

I'm not sold on LEDS for motorcycle headlamps. I love my LED headlamp, flashlights and such. Tail lights and blinkers, that's ok. But serious light still needs a bunch of LEDS to be bright. Now, I haven't even considered the efficiency losses of the LED driver circuit or the poor efficiency of the cheap plastic lense. But I bet the halogen is better. Get the Motolights and install them yourself. Easy. Toughest part is deciding which wire to splice the relay coil to. :)

Hi Rich,

Take a look at Moto Lights with the "Amber" bulbs; great choice when it comes to making you more visible to others.

Per a conversation with one of the folks at Moto Lights last year, quite a few police departments are now using them to make their motor officers more conspicuous.

Same-same P3 Lights by Jerry Skene (great guy to deal with) for the back of the Bike.

Congrats & best of luck with the new GS.

Mike,

That's what Rich had on his previous bikes (after seeing how the different color stood out on my RSL).

Rich,

so far, only Motolights will do what you want, on a motorcycle.

Last a long time, easy to replace, great conspicuity, more light down the road than most are aware of (i've tested that pretty well) and definitely more light in the immediate area, front and side, of the bike.

I would do what's been working for you.

Then ride on up so I can verify that.

:/

Congrats on the addition of one fine bike and the transfer of two old friends.

Someone had these at last fall's BRR. If I remember right, the housings were cast aluminum, which should make a fairly good heat sink. They looked good, but I don't remember the owner saying anything about how much light they actually threw at night. I also looked at the Vision X Solstice lights, and wasn't too impressed by the specs. Really bright LEDs always seem to be 2-3 years in the future.

That was Tina, and she did post some info after the event.

I've done some dark ride comparisons on a

deserted roads with bots and road side signs using just stock (GT original), PIAA 1100's and Motolights w/50W bulbs.

Longest throw is the stock high beam with the RIAA's close to that, almost identical.

Widest accent comes from Motolights (I have 12 degree spot) and they add quite a bit in near field. Surprisingly, when turning them on and off they do throw light a good way down the road. It isn't spotlight bright out at distance, but it does enhance the visibilty. (this based on raod side signage that shows the light reflection when on/off w/Moto's)

The PIAA's do an excellent job w/conspicuity, like the Motos do and the PIAA's are mounted higher so that factors into the distance they trow light down the raod.

]With both sets on, I get a lot of light on the subject.

LED's don't do as well in ;throwing light on the road IMO, at least not yet.

After readiing the responses here and speaking to a few friends who have experience with lighting, I've decided to stick with the Motolights (with 50 watt yellow bulbs.) This will be my 4th bike with Motolights. :)

One nice thing about the motolights (I've got 'em) is that there are lots and lots of different replacement bulbs - yellow, flood, spot, 35W, 50W, 100W etc. and they're available almost everywhere. Grainger has 100's of flavors, including LED units.

We bought some 13W Trail Tech HID lights for Lori's bike. She love's 'em, and now I wish I had a pair!

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much dough for a light that didn't improve what I can see of the road.

Elk-

Not to hijack, but are those 13w lights small enough to be mounted in the usual under-the-oil-cooler location on an RT, where the typical PIAA 1100x usually go?

-MKL

I would think they'd fit. I just went out and measured them. They're a little shy of 3 1/4" long by 2" diameter. The mount extends about an inch off the side. Maybe two inches if you use the base that they come with. I tossed the base, and fabricated one to fit the fender mounting bolt, just ahead of the fork on Lori's CS.

As far as I know, you'll have to fabricate your own wiring harness - they're sold in singles, and just come with a short pigtail.

Also look at Code 3, Publicsafety (may be a dot com in there somewhere. They're applicable to more than emergency vehicles.

Something to look at or think about.

Sword

Casper Wyoming

2000 R1100RT-P

Archived