IGNORED

Chatterbox GMRS X1 BT or Autocom L-IW?

R Shortley

I'm looking to buy two GMRS radio bike-to-bike comm systems with intercom for my '09 R1200RTs that my SO and I ride. I've narrowed my search down to the Chatterbox GMRS X1 BT or the new Autocom L-IW Independence Wireless w/ Bluetooth system with Kenwood TK-3302-U16P GMRS radios. I'm having a difficult time choosing between the two options. The pros for the Chatterbox system are price and compact design, while the pros for the Autocom system are highest quality of design and construction. The cons for Chatterbox are the 2-watt radio power and the number of negative reviews I've read about the VOX system and other sound qualities. The big con for the combination Autocom-Kenwood system is the total cost at $1,400 or more for a dual setup versus $680 for two Chatterbox systems.

I'm leaning towards the Chatterbox system for the cost and compactness factors. I have experience with the Chatterbox XBi2 bluetooth intercom systems, and they work fine at very short distance (500 meter max. with absolutely clear line of sight between units). The sound is clear between bikes and the duplex intercom system is very nice. And, my Garmin Zumo 550 connects flawlessly and gives me very clear GPS voice instructions and cell phone communications at highway speeds. But, put a car between the two bikes at an intersection, and the bluetooth intercom is useless even thought the units are less than 30 feet apart. So, I'd expect a similar level of sound quality from the GMRS system with increased range and better performance through sight obstructions at close distances. Also, my take on some of the negative reviews I've read of the Chatterbox systems VOX and sound quality is that they are written by bare bikers wearing open-face helmets or full-face helmets with less than secure seals between the face shield and the helmet who expect acoustic miracles. My RT with its CalSci windshield is very quiet at all speeds, so I think many of the complaints would not apply to my setup.

From reading, it seems the effective range of the GMRS radios, whether 2-watt or 4-watt is about the same 1.5 to 2 miles, 3-5 miles under really optimal conditions. The Autocom system requires a physical lashup of the GMRS radio of choice with the base unit, and the methods of attaching the two items to the body is less handy than the Chatterbox setup. (I'd probably end up securing the Autocom-Kenwood system under the seat and powering it from the bike---another plus for the Autocom, but requiring a extended cord connection from the headset to the comm system.)

So, given the above, I'd like to hear from folks who have experience with either or both systems or who otherwise have 2-cents-worth to give on bike-to-bike comm systems in general or other options.

TIA.

CruisinCruzan

I have a Kenwood FreeTalk Xl connected to a SuperPro unit. I keep the radio duo-locked to the top of my L saddle bag, never a problem over the past 4 years. The fidelity and range have been excellent and the radio is powered through the SuperPro so I don't have to worry about batteries, recharging, etc. I use it when I ride with friends so I usually use the PTT, since most of the time my wife rides with me. If I was riding solo then i would switch it to voice activated. Although I believe I will have a wireless system at some point in time, I am not willing to give up what I get from my present system.

I've got exactly the same setup as CruisinCruzan and wouldn't consider changing because it works so friggin good. Plus, I have my Zumo with XM as well as cell phone and V1 all plugged into the same Autocom and everything works. I like the PTT mostly because I don't want to sneeze (or sing) in anyone's ear!! :grin:

Dennis Andress

Autocom isn't doing so well, check out their site

Our Motorola radios have an annoying delay between pressing the PTT button and audio actually coming out at the receiver's end. The result is a few lost words, unless your careful to count to 3 first. I've troubleshot this to being caused by our using a "sub" channel -- 2-2. It's an FM radio. Sub channels are better known as "tone squelch," where a low frequency tone, typically around 150 Hz, is added to the signal. A receiver will only open squelch when its tone is present. (Got that???). Anyway, GMRS sounds like a much better deal.

Rush, to keep the cost down, you should consider a used Autocom. I see them frequently in the classifieds or eBay. I picked up an Active 7 (prior generation) that works great on my DS bike. cost about $150 with all the leads and headset.

I can't speak for the chatterbox, or the kenwood. But Lori and I got a pair of autocoms and a pair of motorola blister pack gmrs radios. We went coast to coast last spring, and the whole thing worked great! We never had a problem. Range is way more than we ever needed.

At $75 for the pair, those motorolas are what, about 1/4 the price of the Kenwood units?

We had the 12V power cords for both autocom and the radios, which I'd highly recommend.

Thanks all for your comments. I've decided to go with a 2009 Autocom Logic L-1 system with the Bluetooth module with the Kenwood GMRS radio. My plan is to install the system in the RT's empty radio/CD system box on the right side of the fairing and wire the system to the bike's power, taking the power for the Kenwood off the Autocom unit with the available accessory cords. I'm also planning on replacing the rubber ducky antenna on the radio with a high gain external antenna installed on the rear of the bike with a custom bracket (yet to be designed) attached to either the luggage rack or the rear license plate bracket and with the coax running down the frame under the seat to the radio. The Autocom straight extension cords for the headsets should provide plenty of length to put the headset connection about anywhere within easy reach for the rider and passenger positions.

Attaching the units to the inside of the radio box with 3M Duo-Lock should allow me easy access while stopped to adjust the settings on the two units. As part of the project, I'll almost certainly add a sub-panel fuse block with switched and unswitched outlets for my electrical connections, leaving room for expansion for more toys.

Once installed, I'll have intercom, bike-to-bike GMRS radio communication, and a Bluetooth connection to my Zumo 550 and cell phone running through the Zumo. I'll be left with the ability to expand to a second independently connected Bluetooth device.

I plan on making the installation of this system on two bikes myself and should have a nice early Spring project to keep me busy while the weather is deciding to cooperate here in Iowa---5 new inches of snow coming tonight!

Archived