IGNORED

Extended Warranty

Francis

I am purchasing a BMW from a private party and the existing warranty expires in June. I want to buy an extended warranty to cover this bike after the factory warranty expires.

I have been told by dealers that BMW NA does not offer extended warranties unless you buy the used bike from the dealer under a "certified" BMW program.

Where can I buy an extended warranty for this bike?

Francis

Can't help you with the extended warranty, but if it were me, I would instead spend the money on having an independent mechanic look the thing over really well.

I think it was on Car Talk where I heard this advice: Take about 3/4 of the money you have budgeted for a used car (or whatever), and buy something you like. Then spend the last 1/4 of your budget on fixing everything that's wrong with it. That may be right away, or it may be a new gearbox next year....

Personally I never purchase an extended warranty. You're asking someone else to assume the risk of you having some mechanical failure. You can bet that you'll pay more than assuming the risk yourself, and taking steps to minimize it. Shoot that warranty salesman has a mortgage, a car payment and kids in college, doesn't he?

Can't help you with the extended warranty, but if it were me, I would instead spend the money on having an independent mechanic look the thing over really well.

+1 :thumbsup:

You're well within driving distance of some good ones, like Tom Cutter in Yardley PA, who's probably one of the most well known excellent BMW indies in the country. http://www.rubberchickenracinggarage.com/ Take the money you were going to spend on the warranty, and have Tom spend an hour or two (or whatever) going through the bike. You will have many hundreds of dollars left over and a warm and fuzzy feeling that someone who knows what they're doing has given the machine a clean bill of health - which feels a helluva lot better than carrying a warranty card that probably excludes anything meaningful, somewhere in the fine print.

-MKL

I purchased a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty from Atlanta BMW for $1000. I thought it was good insurance. Oh, I did not purchase my bike from them, so that's not an issue.

Moshe, thanks for the recommendation.

Exploreinman, what company did you buy the insurance from? How can I contact them or should I do it through Atlanta BMW?

Francis

The BMW insured Warranty has saved me over £3k since last April.

Does the BMW motorrad NA site not have a section for the insured warranty?

BMW NA does not market an extended warranty. There are many companies that do. Zurich is one. There are many others. Google "extended motorcycle warranty" and see what you come up with.

The company's name is Interstate. Their customer service # is 800-942-0400. You could also call Atlanta BMW and ask for Linda. She's the wife of the owner and can tell you all about it.

I bought mine from Pinnacle. I've had this one for 6 months and have yet to make a claim. Iron Horse BMW in AZ sells them as well.

Every BMW I've bought an extended warranty for has more then paid for itself.

Well that's a pi$$er!.

Mine has saved me the best part of £4k in the last 9 months.

ABS control unit, all of the coils and a starter motor.

Nice n Easy Rider

Does anyone else on the board have experience with Contego Direct? The quote I got for a 72-month service agreement (3 years beyond the original warranty) on my 07 RT was $566 (after the $50 rebate for BMW MOA membership). It looks like they cover most of the major items and this price seems reasonable ($190/yr) to cover against major failures (did someone say FD?) but it would be nice to hear that others have chosen to go this route as well.

AdirondackJack

Not sure about best way to go on this one, but many folks I've talked to like the Western Service Contract. It is sold by these folks: http://www.allambsdallashonda.com/, and I am intending to go this route when I get close on my '08 RT. Google them. You'll find that the feedback on these guys tops the list!

Archived