IGNORED

Motor cleaning

ElevenFifty

I have all the plastic off so I might as well clean the frame/motor/trans ... Thought I get some 'spray on - rinse off' super engine stuff but it's not supposed to be used around electrical stuff. What kind of cleaner do you guys use?

Bad news is... you cannot get away from the "electrical stuff" on a BMW.

I keep a collection of various sprays, including a dilute mixture of Simple Green. I also use spray detailer, water, old t-shirts, and various wooden sticks and etc to poke the rags into various sized orifices, nooks and crannies to wipe them down.

WD-40 is an amazing cleaner/solvent too, and it works on some stubborn places. I keep mineral spirits but you need to keep that away from the soft paint like on wheels.

Road tar and grit on mufflers, wheels and pipes can come off with a light solvent but be careful not to rub the surface until the grit is removed, since the grit makes a great scratching material.

Spread out a chunk of cardboard under the bike. Dip a parts brush in kerosene or suitable solvent and "paint" the greasy areas with the brush. Let the stuff drip. Wipe dry.

No water please!

Goof Off! works on removing adhesive residue, some scuffs, etc. Don't know that I would try it on side cases though. Think when it gets closer to riding weather here I may wipe a spot on the inside of one case to see what the stuff does. Maybe scuff it first. Will post back next year when the snow and cold GO AWAY AWAY AWAY!

S100 on the bike, the stuff is really great for cleaning and washing the bike in general and also makes short work of grease.

S100 is my favorite but be sure to get it off...it will etch parts if left on (was a favorite product at the shop I worked at also).

S100 is good but... use it only on places you can rinse, rinse, rinse... did I mention rinsing off S100?

I also use a product you can find at independent H-D shops and some authorized dealers called Pig Spit. Use that on the black parts of the motor- if you want it to look good.

Lone_RT_rider
I have been using a product called Greased Lightning on the metal parts for years. You can find it in any auto parts store here in the southeast.

Chris, don't forget to tell them NOT to use it on exposed painted surfaces like valve covers and wheels. My R1100RT valve covers still look like they are acid etched from the time I tried that stuff on it.

Shawn

Archived