IGNORED

Russell Day Long Arriving

FLrider

I feel like an expectant mother. My seat has been in production since Feb 4 and I can't wait for it to arrive.... Actually, I can wait, it's my rear end that can't wait.

Should be here any day and I'll be ready for that nice loooooong ride without monkey butt.

FLrider,

Which style of the day-long did you order? I have a 2009 Titan

Silver RT as well and my Russell Day-Long is on the buid calendar for today. I'd love to hear your impressions of the saddle once you receive it. I'm hoping to speak with the builder before he starts the work as I am a little vertically challenged. Congrats, Don

FLrider,

Which style of the day-long did you order? I have a 2009 Titan

Silver RT as well and my Russell Day-Long is on the build calendar for today. I'd love to hear your impressions of the saddle once you receive it. I'm hoping to speak with the builder before he starts the work as I am a little vertically challenged. Congrats, Don

Came in today. I too have an 09 RT. Here's what I've observed so far;

1) The driver seat I sent them was a non heated low seat that I bought from someone on this board. I purchased a low seat because, even though I am 6'1" with a 33" inseam, the regular seat, on the lowest position setting, did not allow me to flat foot it. The stock low seat did.

The RDL in the lowest seat position does not allow me to quite flat foot it, but I can get most of my foot down and maintain a sturdy position.

2) I think the seat is well built. Care was taken to add a few more staples to the stress points. However, they should have added binding all around the edges like BMW does. Provides additional strength to the material where the staples enter the material. No big deal though.

3) The hookup for the heated seats is different than what I expected. Again, my driver seat was NOT heated but the rider seat was. For extra $ they converted my driver seat to heated.

The connectors on the seat are NOT the same as the stock connectors so the way it works is that the driver seat connects to the rider seat via their own male and female connectors. Then, there is a wire from the low seat that connects to the battery. You can see the wiring harness in the photo.

I just zip tied the stock wiring and tucked it away.

Not sure if they would have used the stock bmw plugs if I had sent them a heated driver seat.

I can't recall what the style was. I wanted one with the least amount of potential pressure points. I think they call this "half moon" or "scalloped" but don't quote me on that.

I like the finish. I did not go with leather as I have had many custom leather saddles and they just don't seam to wear as well as the synthetic material. Just a personal preference. I know all the arguments about heat retention etc.,.. I just never found those to be all that accurate.

Now all I have to do is get on and ride !!! Will let you know how it goes. They said something about a 500-1000 mile break in. I sure hope I feel a difference or more accurately, I hope I don't feel a thing...and not because I'm numb !

Double Staples around stress points

4382538957_3649e6d684.jpg

Harness for battery hookup

4382538993_fcd7aaeec3.jpg

New Heat Switch Location

4382539031_0bbdd28a49.jpg

Half Moon ? Scallop ? Don't Recall...

4383310304_cbec31ce8d.jpg

1) The driver seat I sent them was a non heated low seat that I bought from someone on this board. I purchased a low seat because, even though I am 6'1" with a 33" inseam, the regular seat, on the lowest position setting, did not allow me to flat foot it. The stock low seat did.

My understanding is that the seat pan is the same between the low and high for 1200RT, when getting a custom seat made off an OEM pan, it makes no difference becasue they tear out the original foam.

My understanding is that the seat pan is the same between the low and high for 1200RT, when getting a custom seat made off an OEM pan, it makes no difference because they tear out the original foam.

Well if the seat pan is the same, then it must be the amount of foam that makes the height difference between stock low and stock standard seats.

Having said that, again, pan being the same, there must be some difference between the amount of foam Russell puts on and the amount of foam in the stock low seat because there is a distinct difference in seat height.

It's as if I had the standard stock seat, in the low position.

The difference in the BMW standard and low seats is the amount of padding. The Russell seat will be higher then the stock seat in the same position - unless you ask Russell to use less padding - which they will do, bur without the comfort guarantee.

My understanding is that the seat pan is the same between the low and high for 1200RT, when getting a custom seat made off an OEM pan, it makes no difference because they tear out the original foam.

Well if the seat pan is the same, then it must be the amount of foam that makes the height difference between stock low and stock standard seats.

There is probably a difference in the TYPE of foam used in addition to the amount.

Looks nice, looking forward to hearing how it feels.

my Russell is just like yours. I believe the seat is not

higher, but the "wings" do not allow you to get your

legs as close to the bike as the stock seat does. At

least that is the case with mine. I am short of leg

and the Russell does make a challenge for me. I am

really tip toed with the Russell, but I accept it

as worth it for the most comfortable seat I have

had on any bike......

My Russell is being shipped today, I got the half-moon design, I'm a vertically challenged person, but I'm determined to meet the challenges necessary to enjoy the comfort.

Archived