IGNORED

Fuel bottles

LeftCoastMan

I know that our off-road GS brethren attach additional aluminum fuel bottles to their bikes, just in case. The largest bottles I've seen for fuel is about 1.5 l, which maybe get them 20-30 miles off road, more on road, probably sufficient to get out of trouble.

Has anyone done this to an RT? Are there some photos on some mounting options?

BestRest has a nice, versatile off the shelf unit that might fit your needs: The Peg Packer.

There was a thread here, maybe last year where several folks mounted MSR bottles to their saddlebags with various home made mounts.

I created a rather nice (even if I say so myself) mount for a 33oz MSR bottle, using some aluminum bar stock, and some stainless hose clamps (One day I'll figure out how to post photos....). I have it mounted to the forward side of the saddlebag. Technically, it does interfere with folding up the passenger peg, and may be bothersome for a passenger, if ever I had one... Mostly my logic is for the camp stove to use the same fuel as the bike, and gas can go either direction, if need be.

I really only want to carry a couple of 1.5 l fuel bottles during really long trips, not a big jug, so I'm not sure the shelf would work. I guess I might have to do the homemade thing.

BTW, how do you fill your MSR bottle? I can't imagine using the gas pump at your local Chevron station.

Check out the Aluminum Fuel Bottle thread over on www.ADVRider.com

Look in the Equipment section. There are 64 posts showing types of bottles and some pretty good mounting options. Didn't look at all of them but I'm guessing you might find something that would work on your RT. Good luck.

IMGP8590.JPG

This looks sweet. Can you tell me what you did? Will those bottles fall off or walk away? Where did you mount the holders? Where did you get them (they do look like a set of bicycle water bottle cages?

Check out the Aluminum Fuel Bottle thread over on www.ADVRider.com

Look in the Equipment section. There are 64 posts showing types of bottles and some pretty good mounting options. Didn't look at all of them but I'm guessing you might find something that would work on your RT. Good luck.

Thanks, I looked at that thread, but they seem to be oriented towards the GS kind of bikes. One person appeared to have drilled holes in his aluminum side cases.

I was hoping to find more of an RT solution. I'm reluctant to drill holes in any part of my RT.

how do you fill your MSR bottle? I can't imagine using the gas pump at your local Chevron station.

The pumps at Chevron work okay. They fill quick, so go as slow as you can. Ya pretty much have to stop when the can is 3/4 full - don't expect to top it all the way up. Maybe set the bottle on the ground first. Incidentally, I also keep a 6' x 1/4" siphon tube on the bike. Although it's kinda slow, it's compact enough to store on the bike, and you're not really transferring that much gas anyhow.

btw - I've drilled holes in my bags. These things store inside the bags easily enough, maybe that's your solution?

The only holes I have drilled in my RT are for bungee budies so I know what you mean. Don't think I would drill a metal box either, but lots of folks do. Curious, what riding do you plan that ~250 mile range on a tank isn't sufficient? Or is it precauion?

Good luck with whatever you find, hope it works for you.

IMGP8590.JPG

Adjustable Bicycle water bottle cages "Topeak Modula Cage EX Waterbottle Cage" from Amazon. Ball Bungie cord keeps the bottle on in the rough stuff, but probably overkill. No one ever bothers them. It's OK to drill holes in your bags. You can plug them later if you want.

Don't fill to brim, leave expansion space. 2 quarts = 20 miles for you or a buddy.

Archived