IGNORED

Tidying up the Gerbings!

kdoddrell

I have the new Gerbings Jacket and gloves with the dual controller (belt clip model) but would like to mount a flush mount to plug the power lead into rather than having the power lead from the battery hanging out from under the seat.

Yes, I admit, very anal!!

Does anyone know where to get a flush mount and has anyone been as precious as this before?

Cheers

What year is your RT?

Look in the manual - it will say how much current the sock outlet(s) can handle.

Newer ones have 10A TOTAL capability on the stock outlet(s) so will run your gear off the front outlet (or rear if you have the option) BUT will not run heated gear for 2 peole without trippng the ZFE.

Anyway, what you want for an addition is a Powerlet outlet (just google it, lots of sources and variants including complete kits for various ways of adding one) with a 10A or better rating.

You could also rewire one or both of your stock outlets to go direct to battery or to a switched fuseblock.

BTW, and IMOL, there is a betterdual controller around than the Gerbings that is a simple plug in. Its tyhe WarmNSafe dua REMOTE cnotrooler that allows velcroing the controls anywhere you want- much easier to se when riding.

BTW, and IMOL, there is a betterdual controller around than the Gerbings that is a simple plug in. Its tyhe WarmNSafe dua REMOTE cnotrooler that allows velcroing the controls anywhere you want- much easier to se when riding.

+1

I have the new Gerbings Jacket and gloves with the dual controller (belt clip model) but would like to mount a flush mount to plug the power lead into rather than having the power lead from the battery hanging out from under the seat.

Yes, I admit, very anal!!

Does anyone know where to get a flush mount and has anyone been as precious as this before?

Cheers

Kevin, if you want to put a little work & elbow grease into the project you can make it very neat & tidy..

On my 09 RT I first changed the factory power socket on the L/H side front to the older BMW 15/20 amp socket (same as the newer powerlet) the original 1200 RT is only rated at 10 amps max due to very small pin terminals..

Then I wired that new power outlet to direct battery & used a 15 amp fuse.. This not only works good for heated gear but also allows a high amp draw battery powered tire air pump to be used for both tire inflation but also camping air mattress inflation & easy battery charger connection..

Then I couldn’t find a suitable length adapter to adapt my Gerbings controller coax plug to the BMW power outlet so I cut a “BMW plug to coax splitter” adapter apart & made a nice neat (short) adapter to plug into the BMW power socket & Gerbings controller coax plug (looks real neat & professional) & works fantastic.. (it’s now basically a BMW plug with a coax plug in the back of the plastic housing,, very short & tidy)..

Took about 3 hours total including removing the L/H Tupperware..

Twisty

I went recently with the Warm'n Safe remote wireless controller. Mine is the single circuit, but a double would be about the same. They recommend to keep the actual controller in the jacket pocket and just connect the hot cable to that unit. So you have only one cable going to the jacket and then it splits into two if you have the dual setup. I preferred to mount the controller on the bike and the remote wireless adjuster close to my hand on the bar. I have a R1200GS, but it might give some ideas.

The controller itself mounted by the gas tank:

controller3-IMG_1045.jpg

The wireless adjuster on the handlebar:

controller2-IMG_1044.jpg

+1 on the Remote W&S. Just got done testing it for MCN. There is also another which I just tested for MCN made by EXO2, which is fantastic. Why anyone would bother with the old-style controllers when these more modern, more convenient, and competitively priced alternatives are available is beyond me....

-MKL

The OP states he has a new Gerbings dual controller.. I sounds like he wants to use that rather than spending a lot of money on a different brand controller..

Why don’t we help him use what he just bought?

Twisty

I tried this route, if you use the Gerbings flush mount dual controller it looks nice and tidey on the dash, but now you have the two leads from the dual controller coming out from under the seat to plug into your jacket. The power lead is hidden behind the dash direct to battery.

With this in mind I'd suggest a acc. port connection for your existing pwr lead.

And have the one connection.

Gordon, that was the reason why I stuck with the remote controller to avoid thpose wires.

Twisty, I don't take offense at the boys trying to get me to buy more farkle stuff, I have stopped counting by now. Is there a farkle rehab clinic available - seems to be the fashion.

Hate to sound thick, but I guess I can get the older BMW outlet from my dealer or maybe online? Sounds like that is the go. My bike is a 2006 and I did plug it into the accessory socket and the gear shut down. I still have that short lead somewhere so I will turn it into the adaptor as you described.

I have my two wires + audio wires from Garmin all come up in front of the seat.

I just plug in there and of course it then also allwos for a short lead to the battery terminals direct or a junction box. No issue with ZFE etc.

All wireless devices have become a little too much, bluetooth, radio, cellphone, now heated vest controllers. Do we have any problems with interference around? Can it affect some "unshielded" controllers like cruise controller?

alwways another project possible.

h

Ha! All of this is very interesting. But the BIG design challenge is:

connectors that snap apart when you dismount and forget to manually disconnect 'em.

What can't some clever person make a good 10 amp version!!!

Waiting... waiting....

Footnote: Magnets? Mercury-wetted pins? Maybe the answer has to be an active ("smart" and "motorized") connector. No small number of inherent obstacles to this concept, eh.

Footnote 2: when you lift your bum from the saddle... for more than 3 seconds.... When your backside is more than 14 cm from the upholstery....

Yes, there is an obvious second BIG challenge: connectors that snap together when you mount the bike but forget to connect 'em.

Gordon, that was the reason why I stuck with the remote controller to avoid thpose wires.

Twisty, I don't take offense at the boys trying to get me to buy more farkle stuff, I have stopped counting by now. Is there a farkle rehab clinic available - seems to be the fashion.

Hate to sound thick, but I guess I can get the older BMW outlet from my dealer or maybe online? Sounds like that is the go. My bike is a 2006 and I did plug it into the accessory socket and the gear shut down. I still have that short lead somewhere so I will turn it into the adaptor as you described.

Kevin, I don’t know how much electrical things you have around the house but unless you have most connectors & wiring stuff available to you cheaply you might visit your dealer or go online to PowerLet & buy a PowerLet outlet kit..

They have a nice 48” kit that includes a new higher amp outlet,, fused wiring harness & battery connection rings already built & in place.. Not sure on price but probably around $30.00.. It looks just like the Gerbings wire plug harness that Mike referred to.. I think my local dealer has both the Gerbings & the PowerLet kits on the rack..

You simply remove the L/H top Tupperware then remove your existing outlet then install the new outlet (looks just like the removed one only larger power pins) ,, then snake the wire harness over across the top of the fuel tank & back to the battery & hook it up (takes only about ½ hour)..

Twisty

I know that the standard coaxial connectors pull apart without damage when (not if) I walk away from the bike without disconnecting. I didn't find anything that plugs me in automaticly when I get on the bike, but I got pretty good at plugging the cables together with heavy winter gloves on. I still have a problem fishing the bike key out my pocket with the heavy gloves. :)

Twisty, is this the one that I get, one that is especially for my bike or just get the standard one?

http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/bmw-ican-stock-socket-rewire-harness-48/203

Thanks

Kevin, yes, but I would suggest you call 1-877-752-7835 & verify that. The early 1200RT’s used the higher amp outlet socket so that harness s-h-o-u-l-d work OK.. At some time near the end of 2006 or early 2007 the outlet was changed to the lower amp rated socket & for those bikes you will also need the new higer amp socket or the other kit..

I’m not familir with the exact kit usage as I always build my own harness & use the early higher amp outlets..

Twisty

Ah, new plan. I have a coax curly extension cord. I am going to fit that directly between the dual controller and the powerlet plug to plug into the new socket. One lead direct. Brilliant!

Archived