IGNORED

After market windshield for 2010 RT

KenK

Great, Thanks. BTW, is Cal Sci the way to go? My issue is with thw\e wind noise. It is so loud that I cannot here the radio with my face shield down. It doesn't matter if I have the windshield up or down.

Thanks,

Ken

Not many agree with me, but I just don't think acrylic windshields are safe. They have better optical clarity and UV resistance, but they have 80% lower shatter resistance than polycarbonate windshields. BMW OEM shields are all polycarbonate, and they should know.

Ztechnik makes a great windshield for the R1200RT. I've been using it, and it really protects me from the wind. Ztechnik has a video about Polycarbonate vs. acrylic, which is pretty convincing. That being said, I'm sure that CalSci and CeeBailey make great windscreens, and probably do a lot to mitigate shatter issues. But I've spent a lot of time in the plastics, and polycarbonate rocks.

BTW, many people on here have either seen or had issues with the windshield brackets after putting on larger OEM windscreens. I have had no issues, but I check the brackets often to make sure. I've got about 5,000 miles with my windscreen and original brackets, no problems so far. I might replace them soon, just to quit worrying.

Great, Thanks. BTW, is Cal Sci the way to go? My issue is with thw\e wind noise. It is so loud that I cannot here the radio with my face shield down. It doesn't matter if I have the windshield up or down.

Thanks,

Ken

Bummer. I thought the new shield was supposed to be an improvement. I can only tell you that I had an issue with wind noise on my '06 RT, and a CalSci fixed the problem.

Ken,

Windshields are like saddles.

Different strokes and all that.

Perhaps if you supply info like your size, type of helmet, someone of similar build may comment.

BTW, FWIW, even if you can't hear the radio cranked up, it is most likely that others can.

Just something to think about.

Best wishes.

Ken, when you turn your stereo up to 11 just make sure it's Zamphir or Slim Whitman so everybody else can enjoy the music too. :dopeslap:

I highly recommend my Cal Sci for its noise and turbulence reduction. I can't speak to its strength other than mine took some licks and keeps on ticking (no, never tried frozen chickens shot from a cannon.... yet).

• 2 weeks later...

ZTechnik V-Stream all-the-way! Awesome shield...

But the arms do break after a while, and they aren't cheap! $60+ for each one!

I use my screen a little differently to avoid breakage:

Before I hit the freeway, I'll put it up where I think I'll want it, instead of raising it up while going 70mph+. If it's in the full down position when you're going freeway speeds, and try to raise it up, those arms are fighting a lot of resistance to raise the screen.

I also use white lithium grease on the arms where they rotate to help keep them free from binding.

So far so good...

ZTechnik V-Stream all-the-way! Awesome shield...

But the arms do break after a while, and they aren't cheap! $60+ for each one!

I use my screen a little differently to avoid breakage:

Before I hit the freeway, I'll put it up where I think I'll want it, instead of raising it up while going 70mph+. If it's in the full down position when you're going freeway speeds, and try to raise it up, those arms are fighting a lot of resistance to raise the screen.

I also use white lithium grease on the arms where they rotate to help keep them free from binding.

So far so good...

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a different screen myself...your formula for raising the screen and proper lube sounds like a good way to go ;)

Thanks,Mike

And you don't have to pay that much for the replacement arms...I have stainless steel replacement arms that I made myself. Usually have time on the weekend to make a extra pair if you ever need a set...

Jim

Archived