IGNORED

H4 55/100

SinNH

Anybody know of a supplier for a 55/100?

I read that they are used in BMW cars (I didn't know BMW made cars :D)but the dealers don't seem to want to help.

thx

Google will lead you to quite a few sources.

Over the years, I've done a fair amount of experimentation with headlight improvements. Two caveats:

1. The OEM wiring harness may not be up to delivering the amount of current required to drive a 55/100 bulb (or even the stock bulb, for that matter). Running a fused 14 gauge wire directly from the positive terminal of the battery to a relay will deliver full current to the headlight bulb. For best results, you also need to replace the headlight ground wire with a thicker one. This alone will brighten your headlight considerably.

2. 55 Watts is same as stock H4, but 100 Watts is going to generate considerably more heat on high beam (especially if you are driving it through upgraded wiring). Others here may have direct experience as to whether the BMW plastic headlight housing can withstand the extra heat without melting.

Jerry Johnston

Had one in my 96RT for a year and found that the center of the headlight lens fogged up but when I removed it and put the org back in everything looked fine again. I didn't change anything as far as wiring.

Google will lead you to quite a few sources.

Over the years, I've done a fair amount of experimentation with headlight improvements. Two caveats:

1. The OEM wiring harness may not be up to delivering the amount of current required to drive a 55/100 bulb (or even the stock bulb, for that matter). Running a fused 14 gauge wire directly from the positive terminal of the battery to a relay will deliver full current to the headlight bulb. For best results, you also need to replace the headlight ground wire with a thicker one. This alone will brighten your headlight considerably.

2. 55 Watts is same as stock H4, but 100 Watts is going to generate considerably more heat on high beam (especially if you are driving it through upgraded wiring). Others here may have direct experience as to whether the BMW plastic headlight housing can withstand the extra heat without melting.

thanks Selden for the response,I have always put relays in all my BMW's on both hi and low beams with a new circuit from the battery,like you say that alone helps quite a bit.

I have been running a 80/100 for about three years in my 00RT with no problems with overheating,the 100watt is great at night,but the 80w is IMHO too bright for a low beam for oncoming rigs,,there is just no way I want to be associated with the crowd that thinks it's really cool to blind oncoming vehicles.

Steve

Had one in my 96RT for a year and found that the center of the headlight lens fogged up but when I removed it and put the org back in everything looked fine again. I didn't change anything as far as wiring.

Jerry,you recall where you bought the 55/100?

Obviously experiences and opinions vary. On all my bikes that took a H4, I regularly used the 80/100, just replacing the original 55/60. As far as blinding, low or high beam, properly adjusted I don't think it was a problem. Nobody blinked at me. For wiring, on one bike it overheated the socket that plugs into the bulb. Replaced the socket with a heavy-duty one from NAPA. I tried but did not like the 55/100. When switching from high to low beam, with the eyes adjusted to the light of the 100 the 55 was really insufficient.

I have been running a 80/100 for about three years in my 00RT with no problems with overheating,the 100watt is great at night,but the 80w is IMHO too bright for a low beam for oncoming rigs, there is just no way I want to be associated with the crowd that thinks it's really cool to blind oncoming vehicles.

Steve

That's good to know -- if an 80/100 doesn't melt anything, a 55/100 should be fine. With that knowledge, I may look into this. I try to ride at night as little as possible, so most of the time will be using the 55, but having a little extra light when high beam is needed would be nice.

Archived