IGNORED

Topo maps Garmin

SinNH

I'm looking for a very detailed Topo for a Garmin CSX60 for the NorthEast,anyone happy with what they use?

A more detailed road map would be great too,Garmin's base map is,well basic to say the least.

Thx

Steve

I've got a nuvi 500 with garmin's topo maps installed. I'm not sure what version it is, but I bought it about a year ago. Of course it's no 7 1/2 minute USGS map, but then they're pretty close, really. The topographic line interval on mine is 30'. Most of your 7 1/2' maps are 20', some are less, some are more, depending on the terrain.

The topo lines are somewhat stylized from a USGS map, but on the other hand, I've got an old Garmin eMap, and the topo lines on that thing were really bad - essentially a bunch of straight sections that form complex geometric shapes. They've come a long way in 10 years.

I would add that for cross country foot travel, gps's are only an accessory to paper maps, a compass and the skills to use them properly. To emphasise that concept, any old gps will do. What you really want to do is place yourself on that paper map using only the coordinates from your gps. There's some good tutorials and useful stuff at maptools.com

Archived