IGNORED

Question about Olympia AST Touring Jacket

Kathy R

Does anyone have any feedback on the women's or men's Olympia AST jacket?

Thanks in advance :)

803651296_GrhSB-L.jpg

And any feedback on the Olympia Pro Max Overpant?

803655242_gqDm8-M.jpg

You might also want to consider the Tourmaster Transition 2 jacket. I only have experience with the mens jackets (both Transition 2 and AST). Both are very similar in quality, function, and style. Both jackets are made in a womens style. Good luck!

I had a Grey AST and sold it to buy a HiViz. I am very happy with it and got it on sale (it is actually a Women's XXL and it fits me fine)

I wear the liner at the beginning and end of the season, but otherwise no problems. With the vents open in really how weather it does get warm if you are in slow traffic but once on the move it vents well. I have been in pouring rain without any problems. I like it. Cannot comment on the pants as I use Aerostitch, but suspect the construction quality would be the same as the jacket which is excellent.

Rarely see them on sale.

Kathy,

I have both the hi-viz AST and the Airglide. If you're looking for a looser touring jacket with lots of pockets, the AST is just the ticket. If you'd like a little cleaner cut for sport touring, I like the Airglide. Both have liners. I prefer this company over others because of its nice looking styles and worksmanship as well as the materials they use for safety.

Bruce

I bought my wife the hi-viz for her birthday and she couldn't be happier. It's a little loud for my taste but the visibility behind me surely doesn't hurt. We rode 200 miles + in a driving rainstorm and she was dry and warm as toast.

Joe Frickin' Friday

There are about 37 billion people on this board who have the AST hi-viz jacket. I know this because I've seen them all at the past few BRR events.

And I'm one of 'em. :grin:

AST is pretty darned good for a wide range of temps. Ventilation is fantastic. Other jackets have an outer layer that is penetrated by zipper-sealed vents, but the waterproof inner layer is not penetrated by those same vents. Result? not much air gets to your skin. The AST is different. The outer layer IS the waterproof layer, and the vents penetrate right down to your skin. If your elbows are out in the slipstream, you can pump a lot of air through the jacket. Even more if your chest is unprotected by a windshield: there are vents above each chest pocket, along with little straps to hold them wide open.

Waterproofness is fine, provided you zip the vent zippers all the way up and lay out the little velcro-secured covers. The covers are pretty easy to retract when you're opening the vents, but can be a little tedious to unstick and lay flat when you're trying to close/cover all the vents. Not a dealbreaker.

Hi-viz is pretty bright. That may be good or bad depending on your interests, but either way it will attract dirt (and/or nectar-seeking insects) in a hurry. Still, it's bound to be cooler than the dark colors when high temps and bright sun show up.

I also have the Airglide. It's great when you know you'll be encountering only warm temps (60+), but the waist doesn't come low enough to keep you warm if you're going somewhere in the spring or fall. If I had to bring only one jacket to Torrey - IOW, something that would cover a humid 90 degrees in Iowa as well as 35-degree sleet in the Rockies - the AST would be it.

I have the AST in hi-viz. Its a nice jacket, but since I got it I have discovered that I prefer a shorter length jacket. The jacket seems heavy to me, but I don't notice that when I'm riding. My only other complaint is the collar is too tall for my neck and my helmet strap sometimes gets hung up on it.

As others have said, the jacket is well made and the ventilation is good. I have an air glide as well, so I pick my gear based on the predicted weather.

Interestingly, my AST and Air Glide jackets are the same size, but there is more room in the AST. Similarly, the Ranger pants are roomier than my Air Glide pants, FWIW.

YMMV.

We sell a ton of them.

You'll like it.

You've done something different with your hair...

:Cool:

Just got my first Olympia jacket in the mail and I couldn't be happier (haven't even been on the bike with it). A review by canyonchasers.net, along with video footage of the designer/owner 'modeling' the piece, sold me on this beast. I recommend checking both out. Sorry i don't have specific links you'll have to push more buttons...wait...am i even allowed to make recommendations in my first post? :)

CruisinCruzan

Have friends (husband and wife) that have them, they feel that they are too heavy and don't ventilate as well as they would like. They are waterproof and seem well built.

• 9 months later...
Slartidbartfast

Found this thread while researching the AST myself and have a few comments to add, plus a question of my own.

I have a Tourmaster Transition-2, which according to other reviews and my research is a quite similar product. Transition-2 would appear to be slightly better in hot weather. This seems likely given the many excellent vents on the Transition, which has been tolerably comfortable up to 85 or 90F whereas most people claim the AST is only ok up to 80. Also Transition is supposed to be somewhat less waterproof due to all the vents. Mine has never leaked at the vents although I have had damp forearms and collar after riding in a downpour for an hour - which is probably just rain/spray blowing in.

Despite my liking of the Transition-2, I am considering the AST as it seems to be made from somewhat more durable material (Cordura v's carbolex, I think.) I'm also inclined to believe the AST is better made as my Transition is starting to come unstitched on the forearms where the velcro has worn away the thread (stupid to use a single-row of lightweight thread IMO.) I have a Kilimanjaro air for summer use, so I would not have to brave Louisiana summer weather in the AST if I bought one to replace the Transition-2.

BTW, best prices on sale seem to be around $190 for the AST and $135 for the Transition-2, which is good value-for-money in either case.

Has anyone had both jackets in their hands at the same time or has some useful information on the relative robustness of the material and construction?

Kathy, I have worn an Olympia Stealth one piece mesh suit for 3 years now and love it. I think the build quality is as good as anyone else and the price points are very strong too.

I just moved up to the one piece Oly Phantom hi viz one piece for cooler weather. It appears to be pretty much the ranger pants sewn to the AST jacket. Quality gear so far as I can tell with limited usage. It's something to consider.

I'll PM the name of a reseller I strongly recommend.

Got an AST. Love it.

Here I am on top of Cadillac Mountain in some beautiful August Maine sunshine. It rained this whole friggin trip. Stayed totally warm and dry.

web.jpg?ver=12917781650001.jpg

My wife and I both have AST in high Viz. I love mine - she likes hers (she just started riding with me this year - when I got the BMR). Both are true to size but a bit stiff out of the box (bag). They do soften up with use. Ventilation is good but I also have a mesh jacket that I have to wear when temps go over 80 or so - the R1200RT just blocks the wind too well. I used to wear it year round when I had a KLR 650, but that provided much more wind to cool me down.

The only problem some people have is with the neck. It's stiff with a rather large opening that can be irritating. The good part is it will accommodate neck gator or other insulating garment very well when it gets cold.

BTW - We both also have the Airglide pants which I will wear without the liner year round. These are very comfortable, fit fairly trim - that is not real bulky. I got black but I'd get silver if I had to get another pair.

The only thing I really wrestle with is the color. I realize it's not a fashion show but I hate having to walk into stores with the high viz jacket on. I do like it though when someone decides NOT to pullout in front of me because they noticed me. :/

I have a Transition 2 high visibility jacket that is now one year old. The ventilation is very good in hot weather. Lots of venting. I wore it during the summer in Arizona and experienced temperatures above 100 degrees.

It is also good in rain. For the price it is excellent value for your money. Ordered it from the Motorcycle Superstore.

Does anyone have any feedback on the women's or men's Olympia AST jacket?

I have had the AST for one season now and although it is well made and looks good I find it to hot behind a windshield as the vents just don't get much air flow. My Olympia Bushwacker is the most comfortable I have found so far for hot weather. I would really prefer the liner was longer in the men's jacket as they are in the Womens as mine is too short in both jackets and my lower back is always the coldest part on me.

Kathy, Deb has the AST woman's jacket and has had no problems out of it at all. I have the mens AST and I got it dirty beyond or washing machines ability to get it clean it. I have experience a leak at the top of the arm zipper, which was probably due to me not getting the zipper completely closed. Deb and I have worn the jacket in the low 90's and been comfortable, it vents really well. Now the pants get hot above 75 degrees, but they do not vent at all.

Alan

Archived