IGNORED

Aerostitch Elkskin Gloves

Exploreinman

John Ranalletta

Every couple of years, my son buys a pair of these for me. Though I don't use them for riding, they are terrific work gloves. I wore out one pair building a 60' long limestone retaining wall. When they get wet, they take a long time to dry. Get a pair of rubber gloves from Aerostitch to wear over them or a 2nd pair for riding in the rain.

I have a couple of pair. Aero seems to have them on sale every year or two, so pick up a spare when that happens.

My favorite gloves: light, tough, warm (yet cool), with a good control "feel." I've gone through a couple of pairs. They will stretch out over time, so if you're undecided on the size go for the tighter fit.

Exploreinman

Yep, I was between sizes and went with the smaller size. They fit perfect now. They're very soft and give you a great feel for the road.

• 1 month later...
AdventurePoser

I've never fallen off while wearing my Ropers, but they seem fairly snug to me...They are great gloves, IMHO.

Steve

Having used and liked Thurlow deer skin gloves years ago, and reading positive posts here, I ordered a pair. They were returned immediately. They would have been a good work glove, but would not have made a good motorcycle glove for me. The main problem was that they are not designed with a curve that is common to motorcyle gloves. This resulted in a bunching of material in my palm that would not allow a good/comfortable grip on the bars. I also found the fingers to be oddly sized, the little ones being much longer than needed while the index and middle were correct.

That being said, the return process was simple with a prompt return of funds. I realize that buying gloves on-line isn't the best way, but sometimes it is the only way to get certain models.

I've got a couple pair of Thurlow deerskin gloves and a pair of Hoon Harware elkskin gloves. The elkskin glove is thicker and as Ed says, is not curved at first but their instructions said to soak them in hot water and put them on then just hold on to a broom stick for a while as they dry. Wa La, perfectly curved gloves. Worked amazingly well. Like deersking, elkskin is very soft and does not get hard after being wet. Great glove

Any time I get a new pair of gloves, I spray the fingers, especially the thumbs, with leather stretch spray, then go riding for an hour. Custom fit in 60 minutes.

Thanks for your replies. Two more questions: 1) What is "leather stretch spray"? Is it easily available? Or am I being gullible here? 2) I have a pair of Lee Parks shorty DeerTours; how do the elkskin ropers compare to the DeerTours? TIA.

---John.

No, I wasn't pulling your leg. :) Go to any shoe repair shop, or even the shoe polish aisle in a supermarket, and look/ask for it; the stuff is usually used to relieve tight spots in shoes.

I have finally worn a hole in one finger after 4 years of riding with them. I purchased another pair in Cody, WY at a cowboy shop. Made the mistake of getting the Heavy Duty weight. Too thick for comfortable riding.

Would recommend them to anyone.

SteveSardone

I was wearing a pair when I totalled my bike in florida. Most comfortable gloves I've owned. I will get another pair.

Hi. I notice the shorty (not gauntlet) version does not have a strap to cinch around the wrist. Do the shorty roper gloves feel like they would stay on securely (in a get off) nevertheless? Thanks.

---John.

Aerostich also has the "Competition Elkskin Roper" available. It has a wrist strap and falls between the shorty and gauntlet model.

http://www.aerostich.com/competition-elkskin-roper-gloves.html

Great quality - just like their counterparts.

As an aside - has anyone else tried the "Vegan" glove from Aerostich?

http://www.aerostich.com/3-season-vegan.html

Been breaking in a pair this spring and really like them.

Exploreinman

As an aside - has anyone else tried the "Vegan" glove from Aerostich?

If you're talking about the triple digit rain cover gloves, I do use these and they work very well.

Archived