IGNORED

Quick Advice, please!

StriderWalker

StriderWalker

My old jacket is about shot, and I've admired the BMW Rallye 2 Pro for some time. I can get one on ebay for about $600, plus the pants for $400. I ride entirely on road (no dual sport stuff), and would like an all season jacket for longer rides & touring. Your advice:

1) Is the Rallye 2 that much better made than the AST?

StriderWalker

AND,

2) How waterproof is it (with the liner inserted?

3) Is it bearable in warmer temps?

Thanks!

I have been using the BMW Pro Rallye2 pro suit for 2 years and I am very pleased with it. I have used the sit in a rainstorm without the liners and I stayed dry on a trip of 200+ miles. I have used the suit in 85 - 90 degree weather and it is not ideal for those conditions. One can remove the sleeves and main part of the jacket and ride with just the armor, which helps in hot weather. That is not possible with the pants, so your legs will get pretty warm. The suit is ideal for Spring and Fall riding and, with the liners installed I have used it down to 28 degrees while staying quite warm. The price you quote is very reasonable as long as the suit is in good condition.

Karl Riemer

2007 BMW K1200GT

I've only got the jacket.I did a 200km ride in the rain with no liner and it leaked (not badly, just got a damp tee shirt on the inside) via the badge and zipped sleeves. I reckon if i had the liner in, all would have been ok.

Other than that, in warmer weather, at least you can vent the jacket etc compared to my Dri Rider Nordic.

Cheers

Steve

Depends onm how you feel about liners.

$1000 buys a lot of gear, probably an Olympia jacket, pants, one-piece riding suit, and a couple of pairs of Oly gloves.

I sold both the BMW Rally suit and Olympia gear at the dealership where I used to manage. Here's my take.

First, you're in Oregon (I'm in WA) so I'm going to assume you're a wet-sider like me. I'll keep that in mind.

Both the BMW Rallye Pro suit, and the Olympia AST Jacket and matching Ranger pants, are all made from DuPont Cordura, so the abrasion resistance should be about equal. Olympia uses good, CE-rated armor. BMW uses better armor.

The Rallye suit jacket and pants are not waterproof. The Gore-Tex liner which zips into them, is. Because the jacket and pants are not sealed with polyurethane, they breathe. This makes them more comfortable as the temps rise (to a point). So there are advantages to having a separate waterproof liner. There are also disadvantages (putting it on when it starts raining, if you don't already have it on). The Jacket isn't so much a problem, but putting the liner in the pants (remove your boots, remove the pants, put the liner in, put the pants back on, put your boots back on) can be a PITA and not exactly something you want to be doing under an overpass in full public view.

The AST comes with excellent ventilation, and with a removable warmth liner (the Rallye Pro's Gore-Tex liner isn't as warm). However, in warm weather the AST's polyurethane waterproof interior coating will have you sweating sooner than the Rallye Pro.

Quality? Both are made in China. About equal.

If you have always wanted the Rallye Pro, get it. It's a fine piece of equipment. It's pricey, but you already know that.

Personally, I own a one-piece Roadcrafter for which I carry a one-piece BMW rainsuit. I also own an AST and a pair of Ranger pants. YMMV.

StriderWalker

Can't tell you how much you all have helped. Thanks. I think I'll save the $1K and get the AST or 'stich.

Archived