IGNORED

BMW Pro Touring boots?

Edjoiner

I need to replace my Sidi On Road boots, and the two current front-runners are the BMW Pro Touring boot and the TCX Touring boot. They seem to offer comparable features, though there is a significant difference in price (over $100). Anyone have any enough experience with these to provide me with some input? I liked the Sidis, but are a bit too small (why is it that our feet always grow as we age?!) and I'd also like something that is not quite so tall.

if you have not consider them, I would look at cruiser works. pricing is similar to sidi, and a lot more size options. if you have looked at cruiser works, then I ride with sidi as my weekend and track day boot. I have very narrow feet and love them for that reason. If you have wide feet I believe you might find the BMW more comfortable, and considering my cruiser works boots are starting year 7, 100.00 spread over that time is immaterial to me.

Edjoiner, I think a lot depends on the width of your feet,, for me both the BMW Pro Touring boot and the TCX Touring boot run to the wide side for my feet.. I guess what I am saying here is to try them both on for a while before buying either..

Twisty

Boots are like helmets and gloves -- if they don't fit you, they aren't good for you. Aerostich Combat Touring lites are actually made by Sidi, and when I last went looking for boots in 2006, I found that I very much preferred the fastening mechanism of the Aerostich boots to the On Roads. The lites are also a little shorter. They also run a bit wide.

The new On Roads are not as fiddly to put on as the older model. If you haven't looked at the new design, I'd take the opportunity.

Linz :)

LeftCoastMan

I just purchased the Sidi Vertigo Rain for touring. It's all black, easy to walk, and seems to breathe well. I was wearing the "touring" boots from BMW, and I want more protection. Your feet, ankles, tibia and fibula are fairly fragile, and protection should be paramount. I just don't think the cruiser/touring boots, though look nice for the image, are very protective in a crushing injury. The Sidi boots are made to take them.

If you have wide feet, Sidi makes a Vertigo Mega Gore-Tex for those of you with wide feet. Dianese makes these great boots that have great protection and look like a touring boot. I didn't like them, because to give them that look, they placed the protection inside of the boot. I felt that long-distance rides would cause a lot of blisters, but I didn't have the right sock when testing them out, so I could be wrong.

I personally don't think we should skip any protection anywhere while riding. You know, ATGATT. But protecting your head (buy the best possible helmet) and lower extremities should be top priority. If you clobber your head, you die. That's easy. If you break your ankle or lower leg, you will probably live, but you won't be riding for months. Your torso, short of wearing medieval armor, is more difficult to protect, so the best we can do there is prevent certain impact injuries and road rash.

cali_beemer

I cant comment on the current offering but I do have a pair of BMW boots from ten years ago. GoreTex, thinsulate lining, shin armor, toe shifter reinforecement....etc... After ten years they are still excellent. I can walk for a fair amount of time in them, and they have lasted for many miles. They could use a good polishing but I wouldnt hesitate to buy another pair of BMW boots.

Archived