IGNORED

PIAA Sport Horns

BevBeng

Hello - Has anyone had any experiences with the PIAA Sports horns? I had been tracking the discussions about the compressor air horns (Stebel Nautilus/Wolo 419) and wanted something easier to install. I was interested in the Stebel Magnums but can't find them in stock domestically. PIAA claim the horns are plug-n-play with 115db. Better than stock but not nearly as loud as the compressor horns. http://piaa.com/Accessories/Accessories.html

Thanks.

Bevbeng,

These are horribly overpriced, plus saying "no wiring harness needed" is not the same as saying "these have a plug which plugs directly into your BMW's wiring harness". My guess is they come with some self-tapping wiring connectors. For $25 you can buy 2 auto type horns (which is what these are) and some self-tapping connectors and it is very easy to wire them into existing horn connectors. If the Piaa's are *really* plug n play, $75 is quite a premium for a plastic plug. Better call them and ask some pointed questions first.

Edit: Try Autozone or Advance Auto for the Fiamm or other cheap auto horns.

You may wish to check out the Ear Cannon Air Horn #3837 from

http://www.aerostich.com/

I'll be installing these on my bike

Product Description

This is a full-power railroad locomotive/ocean liner type compressed air horn squeezed into a bike-mountable package. Totally overkill, until you need to wake up some lethal driver. It’s got both the high and low ear-splitting tones of the individually sold Fiamm Freeway Blaster Horns, plus a little more oomph. The 139dB high and low tone blasters combine via air induction to cut through the din and make the most distracted of drivers drop their cell phones and pay attention. Installs easily on all bikes with a 4.5"×3"×4.5" space for mounting. The loudest motorcycle horn available. If Ethel Merman, Sam Kinison and John Philip Sousa ever had a band, and played through a wall-of-sound amp rack, it would sound like this. 12V. 1 lb 4 oz.

th_airhorn.jpg

The WOLO air horn (rebadged Stebel for way less) available at Pepboys for 40 bucks will wake the dead and the first time you hit the button it'll make you jump. LOUD and cheap, just like a horn should be. Mounts easily be the steering head inside the fairing also.

th_airhorn.jpg

I have this horn installed on my 2000 R1100RT. It would not operate at "full throat" when installed with the stock wiring. I believe that there was not enough current to get the compressor to full output. I ran 12 gauge with a relay. Used the stock wiring to run the relay. It is VERY LOUD. It will fit between the forks. I have it mounted with piece a 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum strap. It does impact the fork leg at full left lock, but not severely. One thing to be aware of with any (I suspect) direct from compressor air horn is that it takes a little time for the horn to make noise. The compressor has to come on and build up enough pressure to make the reeds vibrate. The split second delay could make a difference in some situations. That being said, I ran the same horn on my 97 RT, and continue to use it now. Highly recommended.

Thanks guys. I decided to stay with the non-compressor based horns and got the twin hi/lo Stebel Magnums TM80s. Time to do the installation. Can I plug them directly into the existing horn wires or do I have to use the relay. I thought I saw a post that the horn was already on a relay. Hoping to do a plug-n-play but want to confirm.

Calling Stebel Magnum owners!

Thanks!

......I ran 12 gauge with a relay. Used the stock wiring to run the relay.......

Exactly the best way to wire up the horns IMO

Glad to hear you like these horns.....I can't wait to hook mine up !

:grin:

Archived