IGNORED

Tankbags.....what kind?

snookers

I'm going to be in the market for a tankbag soon. What should I be looking for in terms of brand/make, accessories...cost.....etc......all input is appreciated since it will aid me in making my final choice

I like the Big Mak due to the fact when fueling, it moves out of the way

big_mak_tank_bag.jpg

You will find lots of different choices. This one has worked well for me for 5 years.

Link

I'm not Outpost, but I did see a Holiday Inn one time.

To mount the Big Mac bag he mentions, you replace the gas filler cap screws with longer screws and a flip mount. This mount has a flip up aluminum plate that sits above the tank - the bag never touches the tank.

Outpost22...............do you have any issues with the bag scratching the tank?

Nope. It never gets near the tank unless you remove the bag and drop it at the same time :dopeslap:

I've used Big Maks for years, but I just switched to a Bags Connection from Twisted Throttle. I think it's made by SW Motech.

cali_beemer

My RS and GS came with a BMW factory tank bag. Personally I am not a fan of tank bags. It uses two buckles one each end. I would be looking at how easy it is to access the fill spout for fuel becasue that seems to be the big pain in the arse. I have seen some that have brackets around the filler for quick access.

+1 on the Big Mak.

Great bag. Held up very well for many years on my R1100RT. I really like the flip up system and prefer it to the BMW bag on my new R1200RT. Dead easy fill ups.

Also had great fast service from Big Mak when I lost one of the screws.

I did find that the bracket would vibrate when I rode without the bag on it making a rattling noise. (No issue while the bag was on) This was very easily fixed by affixing a small strip of insulation strip that had one side sticky on the underside of the bracket.

Hi,

I like RKA tankbags,you need to look at their site for specific model recommendations based on your bike.

I use the "Shilo Road"on my GS.

I'm also a fan of RevPack bags.They make a couple of tankbags.

The Engage tankbags sold by Twisted Throttle look good too,they use a quick detach similar to the Marsee Corona.

JR356

I just ordered one of the Big Mak bags for my R1200RT. I ordered their new RT Retro bag. I have one of the BMW Bags but really kind of hate it. (JUST A BIG BAG). But I admit I like the mount plate. Easy on, easy off and very secure. The new Retro bag uses the BMW Bag plate, so I'm going to disassemble my old one and mount the plate on the big mak bag.

http://bigmakaccess.com/

(Unless I can find someone willing to sell me a R1200RT beat up bag cheaply)

Big Mak. +1

The Marsee Corona has a twist-lock mounting method that also makes it easy to remove when fueling. But once removed it has to be put somewhere, out of the way, so you can refuel. The Big Mak just flips forward, then flips back when you're done. You can refuel right from your seat if you want. Plus, it unVelcro's and slides off in about 0.3 seconds, so you can take it into your motel room with you. I've had the same Big Mak on my old 1100RT, then on my FJR, then on my Wee-Strom, and now on my new (old) 1100RT.

Besides, Mark at Big Mak is one of the early members of this board. He makes each bag himself, at his place in Oregon. Keep it in the famly.

Big Mac's site doesnt have very many pics of the models or map cases, could some of you that have one please post pictures? thanks

RichEdwards

I've used Big Mak for years but his bracket won't fit the newer model GS's since the mounting screws for the gas cap are INSIDE (under) the gas cap. :(

Big Mak. Gets out of the way, non-scratching, multiple size bags available for the mounting hardware.

I've had them on 3 BMW's.

+1 more on the Bigmak bag for an RT. Had one on mine and loved it, and they have a bunch of optional acc. that one can get. Stuff like additional pockets, drink (cup)holders that slip on the bag, and more. The mounting is great with no contact to the paint and ease of fueling, and while not waterproof mine kept stuff drier than the high end touratech bag on my GSA does.

+1 more on the Bigmak bag for an RT. Had one on mine and loved it, and they have a bunch of optional acc. that one can get. Stuff like additional pockets, drink (cup)holders that slip on the bag, and more. The mounting is great with no contact to the paint and ease of fueling, and while not waterproof mine kept stuff drier than the high end touratech bag on my GSA does.

I also miss the web pockets that were on the outside of my BigMak. Great for stuff you like to grab quickly. I found it a good spot for my Gerbing controller in their.

Big Mak. +1

The Marsee Corona has a twist-lock mounting method that also makes it easy to remove when fueling.

Plus, it unVelcro's and slides off in about 0.3 seconds, so you can take it into your motel room with you.

Doesn't that also mean somebody can walk off with it while I'm inside dealing with body fluids?

I also miss the web pockets that were on the outside of my BigMak. ....I found it a good spot for my Gerbing controller in their.

Yep, that's where I put my Warm n' Safe controller. I switch it between both bikes and that makes it easy.

I tried the BMW tank bag for my then new 05 R1200RT but found that it obscured my BMW Motorrad II GPS and was just way too big for my liking. The provided mounting rails work great to give quick access when filling the gas tank but BMW does not offer a shallower bag. I considered the bag (Name?) that uses the fixed ring around the gas cap but discounted it as I like to ride sans bag sometimes. I reviewed all the bag manufacturers and found nothing. I even called Rex Marsee personally and suggested that there was a big market for an enterprising manufacturer but it led no where.

My dealer called BMW USA importers and they called me. Wow! They agreed that BMW was missing the boat and promised to discuss with Germany. Yeah, your right.

No response. Bet they said "Vee know what YOU think you need but vee know better" So my solution? I found a damaged BMW bag from a wreck. Salvaged the frame that fits the RT mounting rails and attached a shallow bag from Touratech.

Fantastic! Works like a charm and looks great. Missed opportunity BMW!

Paul Mihalka

I have the SW-Motech Bag Connection bag. When I got it I stayed away from Bigmak because on previous bikes I used the tank bag just for travel and I did not want to use the bike with the bare Bigmak flap without the bag. In short time I started using the tank bag permanent on the bike. The Bag Connection bag is holding up well and the click on/off mounting works, but for permanent usage the Bigmak has to be better, so I just ordered one. When I get it the current bag will be up for sale cheap.

I use the SW MOTECH system and LOVE it - AND since I'm a girl - I don't have 5 million purses - I have 5 million tank bags. I just put the ring on the tank and then I move the base plate from tank bag to tank bag. The base plate just screws on so I have a Marsee tank bag, Cortech, Tour Master and probably others. They ALL work with this system. Very easy to switch around.

If you want help - just hand me your CC, I can go shopping for you! :thumbsup:

Good Luck!

+1 on the SW-Motech City Bag with the electrification kit. Easy to install, easy to use. The BigMak is likely easier at fill-ups, but the SW-Motech comes off cleanly if you want to ride without it.

I use a Marsee Mr. Pockets on their Corona mount. My '00 RT loves the mount, but the side pockets on the bag bump either the windshield rocker switch or the starter button, depending on which way and how far I turn. The mount is great, but it fits just a shade loose on the bag. I stuck some dense closed-cell foam to the mount to take up the slack and it's fine now. I think I would go with a slightly smaller bag next time, but I am in no hurry. My son has a Ciao Borgia on his '07 F800ST and loves it.

Plus, it unVelcro's and slides off in about 0.3 seconds, so you can take it into your motel room with you.

Doesn't that also mean somebody can walk off with it while I'm inside dealing with body fluids?

If they knew it came off that quick, sure. But the only ones who'd know that are other BMW riders with the same bag.

Unless they watched you do it, an opportunistic thief (the most common kind) would have any idea how the thing came off.

I used my BM bag for about 5 years, and always left it on the bike at fuel, potty, and even meal stops. Of course, I typically left my GPS and V1 on the bike as well. All of which were quick and easy to remove - IF YOU KNEW HOW.

It's security through obscurity.

Archived