IGNORED

Air Pump

frenchwv

Does anyone have any suggestions on a low cost electric air pump for tires?

frenchwv, as mentioned above the Slime pump is about as good as any for the price.. The Slime pump will not pump long on the newer 05 up RT’s as the module controlled power outlets will shut down in short order.. So you either need to re-wire the outlets to battery direct or add a fused battery connected pig tail to power the air pump..

In my opinion the Slime pump is mighty large for what’s inside the box (very large outer housing) so it takes up valuable space on a motorcycle.. I take the plastic case off & toss it,, then build a little metal or plastic shield for the exposed gears to prevent finger pinching.. Then shorten the hose (don’t need much hose as the pump can be held right next the valve stem),, lengthen the wires on the pump a little so it has a longer wander range from the power outlet,, then add a BMW plug.. I then stuff it in a little sack & store it on the bike (when modified per above it is a fairly small unit)..

Twisty

Paul Mihalka

My impression of the Slime pump is that it has a very efficient size and neat in its pouch. The kit comes with a direct fused battery hookup with a SAE plug ending. That is what I use. As the R1200GS does not have much tool storage space and for day to day riding I don't use the saddlebags, my Slime pump stays put in my tankbag without really be in the way.

markgoodrich
Does anyone have any suggestions on a low cost electric air pump for tires?

frenchwv, as mentioned above the Slime pump is about as good as any for the price.. The Slime pump will not pump long on the newer 05 up RT’s as the module controlled power outlets will shut down in short order.. So you either need to re-wire the outlets to battery direct or add a fused battery connected pig tail to power the air pump..

In my opinion the Slime pump is mighty large for what’s inside the box (very large outer housing) so it takes up valuable space on a motorcycle.. I take the plastic case off & toss it,, then build a little metal or plastic shield for the exposed gears to prevent finger pinching.. Then shorten the hose (don’t need much hose as the pump can be held right next the valve stem),, lengthen the wires on the pump a little so it has a longer wander range from the power outlet,, then add a BMW plug.. I then stuff it in a little sack & store it on the bike (when modified per above it is a fairly small unit)..

Twisty

I just use the alligator clips that come with the Slime pump. Connect 'em to the battery and off it goes. Then I touch the brass part that has a sign on it and burn the skin directly off my finger. The sign says something like: "HOT".

If you're going the Twisty mod route, you might as well just get the $10 Walmart one and cut off the case.

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Yes. It's not as small as you'd think. I bought it after my el-cheapo pumps kept failing. Keep in mind that a cheap pump is good for emergencies, but I wouldn't recommend them for someone who adjusts their air pressures a lot. My pump moves to whichever bike I'm riding, and quite often on the KTM I air-down the tires when I get to the dirt, and air-up when I get back to the pavement. The el-cheapos never lasted more than a season with use like that. The cycle-pump is on it's third. I'm not even at the break-even point on cost, but at least I know my compressor will work when I need it.

For the money, the slime pump is the way to go. I've had mine for a few years and gotten tons of use out it. Seems pretty durable so far. Saved my bacon a couple of times (along with a tire plug).

While it's hard to resist the $19.99 pumps, that Cycle Pump is da bomb. I would add to the other comments that it's top drawer - from the universal plug to the solid brass schrader valve fitting - they didn't scrimp on any of it. $19.99 is fine around town, but if you're gonna be out of cell or tow range, spring for the good stuff.

" The Slime pump will not pump long on the newer 05 up RT’s "

While this may be true for some, at least on my '06 RT I was able to pump both tires from flat to full pressure (36/42) using the Slime pump without the stock outlet shutting down.

Has anyone used the Cycle Pump?

I've had one for four years and it works like a charm.

Same here. I'm not too fond of its bulkiness though.

While it's hard to resist the $19.99 pumps, that Cycle Pump is da bomb. I would add to the other comments that it's top drawer - from the universal plug to the solid brass schrader valve fitting - they didn't scrimp on any of it. $19.99 is fine around town, but if you're gonna be out of cell or tow range, spring for the good stuff.

I suppose, but somehow $100 bucks for a mini pump seems like WAY too much money. You don't always get what you pay for. I've had my slime for awhile and had no issues.

Has anyone used the Cycle Pump?

I've had one for four years and it works like a charm.

Same here. I'm not too fond of its bulkiness though.

I picked up a Cycle Pump at the Aerostich store on the way to Alaska 4 years ago. If the Slime pump was available then, I wasn't aware of it. As others have reported, it's a nice piece of gear, if a little on the bulky side. That said, I can fit the stock tool roll, a string plug flat kit, the Cycle Pump, and a pouch with extra tools (stubby 3/8" socket drive, 1", 3", and flex-joint extensions, sockets and stubby gearhead wrenches in all needed sizes, vice grips, crescent wrench, and feeler gauges) under the rear cowl behind the passenger seat on an R1100RT.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived