IGNORED

R1100RT front pilot (side) light

Powerful Pierre

Powerful Pierre

Anybody got any ideas on uprating the pretty feeble front sidelight on the RT? Headlight is ok but I think the pilot light could be better.

Jerry Johnston

Are you talking about the parking light? the light that sits inside the headlight?

If so why would you want to change it since hardly ever gets used.

Actually, since Pierre is in GB, he gets to use his parking light! I'm thinking it's the one inside the shell, since the 1100 doesn't have any side marker lights.

All that said...I don't think the marker light needs to be any better. It's just to be seen, not to see anything else by. Work on increasing the headlight--much more useful!

Powerful Pierre

Hi, I have tended to use the lights on sidelights whilst riding as my bike like lots of other RT's(I am told) shows an ABS fault if the voltage is a bit low. I think I probably need a new battery to ensure the voltage is always as good as it can be. Since realising the sidelight is not really bright enough to act as "running lights", I now tend to use dipped headlight. Even with the headlight on, someone in a Ferrari nearly hit me head on yesterday overtaking on my side of the road as if I didn't exist (I nearly didnt!)

Interesting. It's unlawful for us to have a vehicle in motion with just the sidelights on. Either everything on, or everything off while moving. Sidelights = not moving, which is why we refer to them as "parking lights".

On the ABS/low voltage thing. That's a startup issue, not an issue while riding. Take a look at the IBMWR.org tech page, there's a way to force a time delay on the ABS, so that it doesn't do the self-test (where the voltage is crucial), until AFTER the engine is running.

Powerful Pierre

Woodie, thanks for the thoughts on the ABS thing. Yes it is a start up problem and ever since I've owned my bike, despite using an Oxford maximiser trickle charger I often get the ABS lights flashing alternately when I start up (especially when I'm out away from home. The only way I find stop it is to ride for a few miles (usually without using the headlight), stop, turn off and quickly start her up again and the problem goes away as the voltage is obviously higher.Its just a bit of a nuisance so I will look into the time delay solution...Thanks a lot, Pete

Archived